• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX580 Replace with 1650 Super?

Associate
Had so many issues with my mates RX580 that I think I'm going to RMA it, I don't really want the same card back as it's junk (powercolor red dragon v2).

Hopefully I can exchange it for an alternative and was looking at the MSI 1650 Gaming X Super.

Do these run quietly and stable? The main issues with the RX580 is that it is so loud and black screens in games. I have tried to change things in wattman to no avail (still crashes and just get a black screen).

Associate
OP
Getting no luck from powercolor support, 2 weeks now after I sent an rma request through the website, also contacted them via Facebook and they read it and ignored. Also sent an email.

Absolutely shoddy support. Will amd themselves honour warranty?

Soldato
Funny I have a sapphire nitro+special edition 8GB that never skipped a beat must be the brand

I have a Red Dragon RX580 myself and its been absolutely fine, or at least it has after undervolting and setting a custom fan curve. Doing so took it from being noisy as all hell and ridiculously hot, to pretty much silent and never breaking 60C regardless of what I play. There's definitely better versions of the RX580, but for most the Powercolor Red Dragon is fine as long as people understand what they're getting into when buying it. The Powercolor Red Devil is actually one of the better versions, so not really down to brand but rather a version under X brand has the potential to be poorer or better. All companies have tiers of cards, some worse than others.

If the OP is getting black screens and other issues even at stock however, his card is probably faulty and normally an RMA would be in order. Obviously if there's issues contacting Powercolor themselves, the other option would be to contact the retailer he purchased it from assuming it's within 12 months of purchase, as suggested by Quartz.

Soldato
I would never buy Powercolor without a concrete level of retailer support to cover me in the event of problems. They're notorious for this and their UK support system is non-existent. I remember having to bin a 15 month old X800XT about a decade ago because Powercolor (or TUL, as they are also known, card was Connect3D brand) didn't respond to any requests for support and the retailer just shrugged their shoulders at me.

There are enough good brands with good support that you don't need to bother yourself with this level of service.

Soldato
Installed my old reliable r9 390 in my Brother's oc recently and he got black screens and reboots even in youtube. Turns out it was his 600W power supply which was not up to the task. Swapped with a Seasonic 500W and the problems went away. Most people don't have issues with the RX580 so maybe OP is blaming the wrong thing? Try the card in another system and if it does the same thing then RMA.

Associate
OP
RMA'd the card through the retailer. When the no signal issue happened I would still hear the game being played through speakers.

No problems now with the 1650 super.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
You'd have been far better off getting this for £170 - 8GB of VRAM.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ag-gi.html

Oh, a grand idea. A card that uses a little over twice the power when under load. A perfect alternative :p

I mean yeah, fair enough, it's a little bit quicker overall. But if @Solus and his bud are looking at the 1650S end of the GPU market then it's a fair bet that he'd find the 590 would demand rather more power than the PSU in question can reliably deliver.

Permabanned
The OP did not mention PSU concerns, it heat and noise due to a GPU that is known for this so getting a higher Tier card may well be cooler and quieter for him if his PSU is up to it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The OP did not mention PSU concerns, it heat and noise due to a GPU that is known for this so getting a higher Tier card may well be cooler and quieter for him if his PSU is up to it.

True, he doesn't mention what PSU is being used here. But here's a chart showing power draw from Guru3d.

Power Consumption
Let's have a look at how much power draw we measure with this graphics card installed. The methodology: We have a device constantly monitoring the power draw from the PC. We stress the GPU to the max, and the processor as little as possible. The before and after wattage will tell us roughly how much power a graphics card is consuming under load. Our test system is based on an eight-core Intel setup. We'll be displaying the graphics card power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption. The system wattage is measured at the wall socket side and there are other variables like PSU power efficiency. So this is an estimated value, albeit a very good one. Below, a chart of relative power consumption. Again, the Wattage shown is the card with the GPU(s) gaming stressed 100%, showing the peak GPU power draw, not the power consumption of the entire PC and not the average gaming power consumption.

MSI 1650S Gaming X - 95W at full tilt
Powercolor RX 590 - 215W at full tilt

Now, that's a Powercolor 590 but I doubt that the Gigabyte one that @Darujhistan linked to comes out lower. So if the PSU is indeed marginal (and the computer falling over with a 580 fitted suggests that it probably is) then a 590 isn't going to help matters at all.

Soldato
Oh, a grand idea. A card that uses a little over twice the power when under load. A perfect alternative :p

I mean yeah, fair enough, it's a little bit quicker overall. But if @Solus and his bud are looking at the 1650S end of the GPU market then it's a fair bet that he'd find the 590 would demand rather more power than the PSU in question can reliably deliver.

I must have missed where he mentioned concerns with the PSU...

:p

It's a better card with double the VRAM, which always comes in handy, and will better future proof his purchase. If he'd have mentioned power concerns. I would not have mentioned the 590. Having a card with a clear issue is not a reason to buy a worse one...

;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I just recommended the switch over to nvidia, not because of price or power concerns. More to do with ruling everything out, including drivers.

PSU isn't the best admittedly, he bought a VS550 - I know! I would think it wouldn't cause this issue though. Though I guess now the GTX1650 is a lower power consumption card, we will never know.

He's happy, that's all that matters.

Soldato
I hope that GTX1650 Super isn't more than £150,otherwise you have wasted a whole lot of your mate's money there. The GTX1660 6GB is around £170 to £180 and the GTX1660 Super 6GB can be had for around £190 to £200. The 4GB cards are a bit crap going forward in 2020 with the new consoles being released too.

Also,the Polaris drivers are fine - I have plenty of mates with RX470,RX570 and RX580 cards who don't have a problem,and most of the moaning is around Navi. The VS550 is a crap PSU,and is the lowest end CWT - I would think the PSU is the problem here TBF,but if its failing the lower power consumption of GTX1650 Super might be masking it,and it might eventually cause it problems too.

Associate
OP
I hope that GTX1650 Super isn't more than £150,otherwise you have wasted a whole lot of your mate's money there. The GTX1660 6GB is around £170 to £180 and the GTX1660 Super 6GB can be had for around £190 to £200. The 4GB cards are a bit crap going forward in 2020 with the new consoles being released too.

Also,the Polaris drivers are fine - I have plenty of mates with RX470,RX570 and RX580 cards who don't have a problem,and most of the moaning is around Navi. The VS550 is a crap PSU,and is the lowest end CWT - I would think the PSU is the problem here TBF,but if its failing the lower power consumption of GTX1650 Super might be masking it,and it might eventually cause it problems too.

It was £140 from a competitor. I think the PSU is a possibility but I know someone running an rx580 on a cx450 okay so still unsure on that one. The issue was that randomly the screen would blackout but everything would still be running in the background. Sometimes would even happen while watching YouTube, not in-game. Sound continued to play and the computer would still react to input.

When I looked around for pricing, the standard gtx 1660 was £180 and the super circa £210.

Shall see how it goes.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was £140 from a competitor. I think the PSU is a possibility but I know someone running an rx580 on a cx450 okay so still unsure on that one. The issue was that randomly the screen would blackout but everything would still be running in the background. Sometimes would even happen while watching YouTube, not in-game. Sound continued to play and the computer would still react to input.

When I looked around for pricing, the standard gtx 1660 was £180 and the super circa £210.

Shall see how it goes.

That price is more like what the card should be priced at,but you can definitely get GTX1660 Super cards for £200 or a bit below that. The CX series is much better than the VS series BTW.

Back
Top Bottom