• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD TressFX now integrated into Unreal engine!

Soldato
Don't get too excited, Unreal is developing its own solution which would be integrated into the main branch. This isn't going to change anything because it still requires maintaining a different version of the engine. Same reason you don't see hairworks much with UE4 even though that has already been integrated into UE4 long ago. Hell devs bailed even on Ansel because they'd rather have a universal & self-owned solution for a photo mode.

I'd love to see these features used more even when they're proprietary but it's gonna be very, very rare.

Associate
They do?
You mean running around 10fps less than Nvidia card for card like is now called running crap? LOL

I play loads of Unreal 4 games on my VEGA and they play to what I expected.

Geez
More often than not it's more than just 10fps. In the outer worlds which is a recent ue4 game, Vega performs worse than a 1660 non ti lol.

Sometimes we get a optimized tweaked ue4 engine game like gears 5, but the majority of them run so bad on AMD. It's one reason my next card will be Nvidia, I don't want crap performance in vampire the masquerade bl 2 and other upcoming ue4 games.

I'd love for them to fix the engine but Tim Sweeney loves Nvidia.

Soldato
More often than not it's more than just 10fps. In the outer worlds which is a recent ue4 game, Vega performs worse than a 1660 non ti lol.

Sometimes we get a optimized tweaked ue4 engine game like gears 5, but the majority of them run so bad on AMD. It's one reason my next card will be Nvidia, I don't want crap performance in vampire the masquerade bl 2 and other upcoming ue4 games.

I'd love for them to fix the engine but Tim Sweeney loves Nvidia.

Not the best game to disagree with each other here.
1. It's an indy title from a small dev team that probably doesn't want to work extra on coding for Vega
2. Not the engine fault or AMD fault but the developers lack of time or cost optimisation for Vega
3. Vega biggest issue is to get the most out of the GPU devs are required to leverage the pipeline of its GCN core
4. Take navi for example in this title it's running much faster than Vega and the big factor for this is navi coding is much closer to Nvidia than it is to Vega
5. Again not unreal 4 fault or Amd but the devs need to get the most out of the game.
6. Take a game built on unreal from a bigger dev team and compare the results that is the best of the best optimisation you will get Fortnite for example Amd like for like compete very well. Another example was PUBG on release sucked at amd performance compared to Nvidia now they are neck and neck because the dev team spent extra time coding correctly for AMD.

You can read more about GCN vs RDNA here
https://decdeg.com/why-amd-rdna-quitely-different-from-gcn-its-made-to-be-played/

Soldato
Didn't they add Vulkan support to UE4 last year. Nothing came of that afaik so not expecting miracles. And TressFX has been around for many years yet they finally decide to add it now?

Back
Top Bottom