What did you do to your bike today?

Man of Honour
Filling my eBay basket with all the service bits along with a new CCT and regulator for the Bird for preventative measures as there's already a small chain rattle and the OEM regs are basically guaranteed to go at some point in true honda fashion.

Should be able to get it all done in time for the nicer weather.

Also eyeing up a set of Chinese fairings but they can wait until I've gotten over my speeding fine :o

Soldato
Took the RS out over the Christmas break - but it seems to have a slipping clutch now :( Initially it was between 4th to 5th at the upper rev range, but I noticed it ended up happening in 3rd, 4th and 5th :(

So, after the **** weather sods off, it'll be back into Trumpet for work yet again!

Hoping it's something silly, but the free play in the cable is correct, and I cleaned and re-lubed the level pivot so...

Associate
Filling my eBay basket with all the service bits along with a new CCT and regulator for the Bird for preventative measures as there's already a small chain rattle and the OEM regs are basically guaranteed to go at some point in true honda fashion.

Should be able to get it all done in time for the nicer weather.

Also eyeing up a set of Chinese fairings but they can wait until I've gotten over my speeding fine :o

The reg and cct are fairly easy jobs on the bird, have you done the earth mod too?

I went for a blast round the peak district at the weekend to keep my eye on the ball. Also bought everything i need this week to give it a good service at the weekend as well as change a couple of the gaskets on the turbo.

Man of Honour
The reg and cct are fairly easy jobs on the bird, have you done the earth mod too?

I went for a blast round the peak district at the weekend to keep my eye on the ball. Also bought everything i need this week to give it a good service at the weekend as well as change a couple of the gaskets on the turbo.
The CCT and Reg actually look more straight forward than getting to the plugs to be honest :o

What's the earth mod? I've seen the loom fix which doesn't apply to mine as it's carbed but not heard of the earth mod.

Associate
The CCT and Reg actually look more straight forward than getting to the plugs to be honest :o

What's the earth mod? I've seen the loom fix which doesn't apply to mine as it's carbed but not heard of the earth mod.

The loom fix and earth mod are the same thing, I just couldn't think of the words 'loom fix' last night haha.

The spark plugs are a pain in the ***. Don't do it the way haynes tell you which is through the front I believe; tank up and airbox off is a far easier way. You just need to have a good extension on your socket. I have a specially crafted piece of 2x4 which which i wedge under the front of the tank to hold it up and out the way.

Soldato
Technically yesterday but, fitted a cheap eBay USB socket to replace the super cheap eBay 12v socket a previous owner had fitted and didn't work with any of the multiple 12v to USB adapters I have. New one has 2x USB and a voltmeter integrated into it, plastic cover keeps it out of sight most of the time and it's at an awkward position to actually read when riding anyway due to where a PO installed the 12v socket, but for a quick check on the charge it's handy. It's run via fuses and a relay on switched live so I don't have to worry about it draining battery or anything when the bike is off.
I sorted out the fuses and relayed switched live for both the 12v socket and the heated grips a couple of weeks ago. The grips were on a permanent live which meant when the bike was off you could drain the battery as I've not seen them have any kind of auto-shut off.

Pics of USB socket anyway...

y4m7Gquylr8kMKLmaEMpCQK_g1bn-i83ISfBOTzfTjKaHQ9iXZTsp6p_uw9p_Ihc2Z90O5o0WLwju4Hhn6Ge6ph4om26uSn2yu7B6olmu65HOyVOAu33FGL723Em4YxLM_gDmqMbTDLodubvkp7iTXDV6uib_UiyQkU9ec0EefbHy-PA-tP1E1qOeTLkHZF07H8P0G9_UAwp76rAptgGOEshQ

y4m5xvGSd-PiC9EVGzmB37DBoWvHHlOvZelBoDOJJmbxlGe3-fnvdbUpvB6QMK3vXNGrf_Yk632q2vQZZw2hJzb-WR1RY0bCgmj2NYpVAq9OYxwC7SpVAsn-UWfUjbRn-aZXGxXc6Zpbb_vuFHNcP7tyYf0964Z2Dci6PCgKEhX0Y981ydkIugdRX9JHPeOt5CPMfA1AK6IMCnascKiNzscJg

y4m707TYnrMuwDlj_6P2IS3tOA5TUk7SGuiS-muQVUHY5_2iujV29ZwYXZoEZAa2Q75OuyeR0k_A0q78qavSDWmFXGyqdwcj4NlCFQdR3gizbAHdqdfBvnLFsk9l3HILZ8YS0ocUwg4zjB0f6BjFefcSkDNOGZ7U3vRWNGIOqRBAOG14E6XBC0wOWvEgG9tbpTAkzmLFczrFEv6uZhpm-_LNg

Soldato
Good work. For touring of anything longer than a day or so, I find mine absolutely invaluable. Normally charging a phone, camera or battery tucked away in the tank bag.
I've not had a chance to use it yet but it should be pretty useful for nav with my phone. Before I sorted this out I had to use a USB power bank in the phone case thing (it's a zip up case thing) but with this I should be able to run the phone on charge while using nav a lot easier. I don't tend to really need nav very often but it's handy to have power option(s) on a vehicle.

Man of Honour
Took it for it's first outing since september had to give the battery a charge but apart from that felt like it was only out the other day.
Big grin remembered why I love getting out on a bike.

Soldato
Took it for it's first outing since september had to give the battery a charge but apart from that felt like it was only out the other day.
Big grin remembered why I love getting out on a bike.

Started my 2 wheeled commute again this morning, and I agree - it feels just to other day that I rode mine (granted I did one in December mind :D).

Associate
Sold my K1300S, although that happened a few days ago.
Have my S1000RR coming back from garage fun in a couple of days!

So today I have thought about both those things.

And then thought about tail tidies, and end cans, and decats, and full systems.

Soldato
Took it to the garage today (nice and frosty!) as my rear keep losing PSI - drops from 42 down to 10 to 12 overnight! Been all over the wheel, and other than a tiny crack, I couldn't see anything.

Garage took over an hour to find it, but there was a tiny (almost needle like) bit of metal embedded :(

Associate
I cheated on my girl, took this beauty for a leg over today, Speed Triple 1050RS
photo.php
photo.php
82837717_10158018244462889_5766077557195669504_o.jpg

Edit: I did like this bike, however it's still quite civilised and not as characterful as the SD1290 or even the Panigale 959. It's very smooth, the throttle response is super crisp and it would be a fantastic bike to ride on a tight circuit like Mallory Park or (unlikely now) Rockingham. The exhaust is still a touch too muted , Euro regs I expect are to blame. I don't like OTT noise but it needs to be a bit louder. The 959 with Akrapovic sounds wonderful in comparison.

It's comfy, a little more sporty than a typical naked bike and it reminds me of the 959 almost which i found great for a supersports bike, one of the most comfortable sport bikes I've been on. I'm a touch over 6ft but I only have a 31'' inside leg so the 1050 is quite tall for me i.e. can't quite sit both feet flat on the ground.

The only thing I didn't like is I found the indicator button a bit of a stretch with my thumb and the turning circle is still as wide as the old bike, however everything else is great.
No blipper or QS though, it wasn't fitted so can't comment. The gearbox is extremely good though, no false neutral or missed shifts, easy to clutchless shift up or down.

Would I buy one? If the SD1290 or the V2 didn't exist, then yes. I'm sure it would be a better (for me) and more characterful bike with a cut away exhaust, SC Project or similar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom