Help - Windows installation completed borked

Associate
Okay folks, I'm hoping somebody can help with what has been a horrendous day!

Short story, my PC has been crashing a bit of late (only when playing games - it would make a horrible buzzing, lock up and then reboot) and only since I installed a 2070 Super last week and, previously, only when I've tried to overclock. I think it's where the CPU is hitting 100% usage, if that's related (I've googled but it doesn't suggest 100% should cause a crash). That's a secondary issue right now though.

Anyway, today it crashed and then got into a loop of loading Windows but freezing as soon as I tried to open anything (i.e. Chrome) - but now it won't load at all and I get a 'Critical_process_died' error and then a loop of it trying again (and failing). The best I get now is if I let it run for 70+ minutes it'll load to the Windows 10 troubleshooter screen (as automatic repair can't fix it).

Now unfortunately I can't try any of the troubleshooter options because it asks for my account password and, even though I know it's correct (I log on with it all the time, after all), it tells me it is wrong - so I'm well and truly stuck at in a cycle of misery.

I tried downloading the MS Windows 10 Recovery disc using my laptop but when I tried that on my PC (using an external USB HDD) it won't recognise my Windows drive, so I can't even reset my system using that.

My version of Windows was also the free upgrade from 8 to 10, if that makes any difference to anything.

I guess my questions are:

- Why won't it accept my password and is there any way around that?
- Is there any way I'll be able to save my documents and files (either through 'saving' my installation or extracting via other means if the worst came to the worst - i.e. a dock for SSDs that I can then read as an external drive on my laptop)?
- Are there any potential rescue options I can do that I'm not seeing?

I'm keeping everything crossed for some small glimmer of positivity!

Associate
try setting your bios to default first if it is overclocked, I have had an overclock do all sorts of odd things to windows in the past

Associate
OP
The bios to default was the first thing I did but thst didn't work. I've ordered an SSD caddy so will hopefully be able to access the data.

I presume there's no way around the password issue without being to access Windows?

Soldato
Short story, my PC has been crashing a bit of late (only when playing games - it would make a horrible buzzing, lock up and then reboot) and only since I installed a 2070 Super last week and, previously, only when I've tried to overclock.

Do you have a decent PSU?

Anyway, get yourself a new SSD and boot off a Windows ISO and restore from your Windows Image Backup. If you can't do that then install a fresh copy of Windows onto the new SSD. Then put your old SSD in the dock and copy over your documents. Then put the old SSD away somewhere.

Associate
OP
Right, I have a new SSD and caddy on the way so I can start fresh - but my next question is around my Windows key. I had Win 10 via the free upgrade from my Windows 8 key. I *think* my key is linked to my Microsoft account but, as I can't access Windows any more, I don't know if that's the case.

Does anybody know if entering my old Windows 8 key will let me unlock Windows 10 again - and how would I go about that - do I start trying to install Windows 10 or have to do 8 and then hope for the best?

Back
Top Bottom