root canal or extraction

Associate
Hi i have to go in on Friday for one of the above on a rear lower molar, so for some reason i am terrified of dentist yet will go to the doctors with anything, so which would you take and why and also any stories to tell ?
Thanks

Soldato
Hi i have to go in on Friday for one of the above on a rear lower molar, so for some reason i am terrified of dentist yet will go to the doctors with anything, so which would you take and why and also any stories to tell ?
Thanks

I had an extraction when i was younger. Dentist used the tiniest needle to give local aesthetic so small you legit can't feel it. 5 minutes later he wobbled it out.. No pain just a little bit of bleeding.

Soldato
Depends on your age, it's position, condition etc. Save it if you can, crown it after root canal. Extract as a last resort.

Root canal isn't painful, it's uncomfortable and not a nice experience but pain shouldn't be a factor if you are properly anaesthetised.

Soldato
I always try and save my teeth and it can effect your jawline, I'm a grinder though and that's a problem, can't keep my mouth guard in. Over due a visit but my new dentist seems to do unnecessary work.

Associate
Root canal definitely. Had it done about ten years ago and the tooth filled, all still fine. It's also not very painful, just can be a relatively long procedure. It seems to have a bad reputation in terms of the produce and pain but it's fine and you get to save a tooth.

Associate
Even though my last root canal was a long drawn out nonsense due to a fired dentist leaving the country in between sessions i would go down that route again to save a tooth.

Associate
Definately a root canal, had one and a crown a couple of years ago - as above just a lengthy procedure but not painful if well anaesthetised. Once they have completed the root process and stripped away the nerve the chance of pain is removed in any case, for the final part on last visit they won't even need to use any anaesthetic.

Man of Honour
Aside from the one time the dentist gave me the option and I didn't have it numbed never had any pain barely even noticed the needle for the anaesthesia, the one time it was a relatively simple procedure and I opted out about mid way through the pain ooof suddenly hit a sensitive spot and she was like "we are nearly done now you'll just have to tough it out!".

I don't get what people are so afraid of with dentists - unless their dentist is a bad one and does careless work.

Permabanned
2 years ago I went the extraction route (back upper right molar, where I chew the most), and then like 6 months later I had a fake tooth AKA dental implant put in and I can't tell the difference (the implant is permanently connected to the jaw and it looks/feels like a real tooth). Root canal was an option but there was some sort of complication that put me off + all the stories/rumours about root canals on my mind.

Associate
Had root canal on one a few years back which had to be extracted just before Xmas so guess I gained a few years of extra out of it - didn’t hurt when taken out and no pain or issues when the root canal work was done ( just expensive at £500 )

Soldato
I'll give a different story :D

Had root canal back in September I think, now I'm not one to make a fuss at the dentist. Initially I was getting a filling but the dentist commented that he needed to drill close to the nerve so let him know if I felt any pain ( normally for fillings I don't get an injection :eek:) this one did hurt after he hit the nerve for the third time. So next appointment I get root canal. Things appear to go fine, get the second appointment and everything is filled in. Fast forward a month and I hear a random crack in my mouth and over the next couple of days my cheek swells up. The canal got infected and the tooth got removed the following Monday. So occasionally things do go a bit wrong :(

I always try and save my teeth and it can effect your jawline, I'm a grinder though and that's a problem, can't keep my mouth guard in. Over due a visit but my new dentist seems to do unnecessary work.

How easy was it finding a dentist? It's neigh on impossible for me. Been without one for over a decade now, and I fear if I got private (or even NHS!) it'll wipe out my ISA.

The same goes with GPs. I do have one, but I've not been able to get an appointment since 2016.

Associate
Root canal for me and apart from a little bit of dull throbbing every now and then all is going well. Apparently its because the NHS dont have the precision equipment that private dentists have so there can be the odd tiniest bit of nerve they cant get out. It really isnt an issue though for me

Back
Top Bottom