Recommend me a beard trimmer

Soldato
Anyone else accidentality turn on their trimmers while cleaning or am i a special class of idiot that gives the cleaning brush a trim?

:D :)

Caporegime
FYI, clipper comb sizes are based off eighths of an inch. So numbers 1-4 are 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". Which is 3.2mm, 6.3mm, 9.5mm and 12.7mm. Typically people translate clipper numbers x3 for mm sizes.

Sorry for the nerdy facts but it might help you visualise the equivalents better :)

Ha! This is very good to know, thanks! I always thought the sizes were millimetres.

Soldato
I have a Phillips trimmer with LCD display. Let’s me set the mm I want to trim in either 0.1 or 0.5 steps.

3mm being grade one iirc.

Edit, good post regarding clipper grades into mm

https://www.hairclippersclub.com/hair-clipper-sizes-guide-and-chart/

It’s really easy to use. And hasn’t failed me yet in two years. The only drawback is that you can’t remove the grader comb to clean it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use this - quick to flip between lengths, via motorised adjuster, and quick and easy to clean/brush out whiskers as you go as the trimmer guide flips back while still attached to unit. (Not suitable for bushy beards).

Plus, big bonus, it's not painful to use as the trimmer head has no pointy bits and the trimmer itself, in my experience, is sharp enough not to pull at whiskers at all.

Soldato
I use a Phillips Series 9000. I'll be honest, I really like it because it makes me feel like I have one of those Men In Black devices. I use that to trim and line up my beard and I use a Phillips One Blade when I want a closer shave.

I can't, or rather I chose not to, wet shave so the One Blade gets it close enough for my liking.

Soldato
Wahl Peanut Trimmer
Wahl Cordless Peanut Trimmer

I've seen Americans mention the above trimmer quite a few times , not sure if they are genuinely any good or if it some sort of in joke because of the name.

Remington ceramic blades , oil free and lubed for life.

Is there any actual lube on them as you can't seal two flat blades ?

Sounds good as trimmer oil is messy.

Last edited:
Soldato
In terms of trimmer advice, I've had a few phillips and a few braun over the years. The worst ones are the ones with thr wee turny dial thing and this has happened more than once, the mech works both ways so if you push the guard the height goes down! watch out for extra closer than normal trimming ? I've found the cheapest, simplest ones are the best in my experience. everything other than the power switch and depth adjust on these things is a gimmick. If you buy more than one, get the same brand so you can share chargers.

edit to add, get a beard brush. it really helps

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom