Penalty Points & Insurance

Soldato
He got the green slip by the sounds of it. The plea paperwork will come in the post.

That’s just it my son has said they gave him nothing at all but he could see that they were doing something on their computer.

Not trying to defend my son but I’ve now seen the clips from his dashcam and although he drove like a complete knob, their driving was almost akin to baiting. It seems to start by him overtaking a lorry and them and pulling into their lane. They flashed him at this point and then undertook him, pulled in front of him and slowed down. My son then simply over took them etc.

When they eventually stopped him they claimed that he cut them up when he pulled into their lane, my son says he didn’t think so and the first he knew was when they flashed him.

Man of Honour
That’s just it my son has said they gave him nothing at all but he could see that they were doing something on their computer.

Not trying to defend my son but I’ve now seen the clips from his dashcam and although he drove like a complete knob, their driving was almost akin to baiting. It seems to start by him overtaking a lorry and them and pulling into their lane. They flashed him at this point and then undertook him, pulled in front of him and slowed down. My son then simply over took them etc.

When they eventually stopped him they claimed that he cut them up when he pulled into their lane, my son says he didn’t think so and the first he knew was when they flashed him.
You said he'd been issued with a slip?

If that's the case then make sure he saves it and gets some legal advice for his day in court.

Soldato
No I said I got a slip when I got done many years back, he got nothing except a lot of verbal from the 2 female police women, the male police man was talking to my son initially and the 2 females then came out and started telling my son that they were going to throw the book at him etc....

Man of Honour
Interesting predicament as he's only been issued with a slip and was told he'd get the actual number of points and the fine confirmed in the post.

No I said I got a slip when I got done many years back, he got nothing except a lot of verbal from the 2 female police women, the male police man was talking to my son initially and the 2 females then came out and started telling my son that they were going to throw the book at him etc....

You definitely said he got a slip :confused:

Man of Honour
So I did, sorry, I’ll ask him again to confirm.
If he did that makes sense as that's all they issue at the roadside and is the NIP you'd normally receive in the post within 14 days.
They then have up to 6 months to issue all the charge paperwork which gives you your plea options, you then don't know your punishment until that's been put through the court.

Soldato
OP
Hello,

My insurance is up for renewal on 18th Feb. I’ve got a quote i’m happy with.

Over the weekend i had a letter through for speeding. 69mph in a 50, through some road works on motorway.

I need to send the letter back stating i was the driver etc and cos my speed it says i’ll get a conditional offer (Dunno what that is) but i’m assuming 3 points as i was over for the limit for the awareness course.

Once i renew, do i need to tell my insurer and will my premium go up ? I’ve got until the 20th Feb to send the letter back about speeding so i’m thinking i’ll sen it on 15th.

or should i just send the letter back asap get the points then renew ?

thanks

I sent the letter back last week so now waiting on what will happen.

James

Soldato
Picked up an SP30 last month for 37 in 30mph via a mobile camera van.
No excuses about the ticket, but its on a road where the posted limit changes every few hundred yards from 30 to 40 then back to 30mph.

Insurance is with LV & is due for renewal next week. Just called them to inform about SP30 & they have increased the quote because the speeding offence by £75.

Soldato
OP
So my insurer has increased my insurance by £393.31 for the rest of the year. Pretty extortionate, and i told them as much. Equals like an extra £45 per month bringing my premium to £110 per month for a 04 Plate Xsara Picasso.

Looking at potentially changing insurers, would cost me £70 to cancel but can pay a lump sum of £561 for a whole year with another company.

Kinda wish i never told them really.

Soldato
So my insurer has increased my insurance by £393.31 for the rest of the year. Pretty extortionate, and i told them as much. Equals like an extra £45 per month bringing my premium to £110 per month for a 04 Plate Xsara Picasso.

Looking at potentially changing insurers, would cost me £70 to cancel but can pay a lump sum of £561 for a whole year with another company.

It is unusual for an insurance company to increase the price this year for penalty points dated after the start of the policy. It would be like having a claim and then getting a double whammy price increase for the same year.

Who is the insurer?

edit: Ah your details are in the OP, So the conviction date is before the policy started.

You should have told them straight away and you would have known about the price before you renewed.

Man of Honour

Cancel it stick it on a credit card if needed and save yourself £600.

Soldato
make sure the new quote will be respected when you supply them with the renewal/exit certificate from the current insurer .

doubling the premium sounds excessive... you never said, but , you had NCD and clean points before this offence. ?

Back
Top Bottom