Life at a loss

Soldato
House/ property development seems to be where you want to be, but it's not something you can do without a bit of cash behind you for that first step right? So, break that down into steps. You need to be able to save some cash up... but also a trade could be useful in this element of property development too? Could you start working / looking for opportunities in that area, which could lead to a better pay and skills that would help you stock pile some cash/ skill up for your ultimate aim?

Just throwing ideas around here. Often I find when something seems too far off, or too big of a challenge, breaking it down makes it easier to find a way there.

Associate
OP
The key thing to get right is to see if you can do something you are really passionate about. If you love your work, it's doesn't feel like working.

Make a note of when you are really happy doing something, and getting a buzz from it. Then, think whether there is a viable career to be made from it.

Also, like me, you have a lot of interests. You need to focus on one to three which have career potential. Allow yourself a set amount of time to think of them, say 1 month, then start to focus. Otherwise, you will waste your life.

Make a spreadsheet of possible career choices, and then rank them all in order of preference. Allow yourself a month, then focus on the best two to gain employable skills.

Many thanks for your reply.

The more thought I put into all of this, the more i feel doing manual work, building things etc, when I'm able to use my head, and create something in my mind and then just go ahead and make it, that is when i'm "in the zone" its the place I like to be in where i'm using my hands, being creative etc.

Associate
OP
House/ property development seems to be where you want to be, but it's not something you can do without a bit of cash behind you for that first step right? So, break that down into steps. You need to be able to save some cash up... but also a trade could be useful in this element of property development too? Could you start working / looking for opportunities in that area, which could lead to a better pay and skills that would help you stock pile some cash/ skill up for your ultimate aim?

Just throwing ideas around here. Often I find when something seems too far off, or too big of a challenge, breaking it down makes it easier to find a way there.

Thanks for your reply, you make perfect sense, and I think I should do something manual.

I am currently talking to my local college and am almost certain I want to go for an electrician course, I always wanted to do it, but started working full time, put it off for too long then the fear of how am i going to fund this, and how am i going to get back into it took over, If I don't do it now, I think i'll regret it, so I think its a good move.

I will let you all know what happens when I finish talking with the college.

Many thanks everyone for your help :)
Much appreciated :)

Soldato
FWIW an after hours tradey is something people really want these days, myself included. If you can spare the extra time to do 2 hours per evening leckying or plumbing you'll have a captive market.

A lot of people like myself can't take time off to let people in to do work, and the plumber I've had for my last bit of work has been doing it for an extra hour each night and it has worked out really well.

I understand you'd need to get qualified first and obviously keep a good work/life balance but out of hours work suits so many people these days.

Associate
OP
FWIW an after hours tradey is something people really want these days, myself included. If you can spare the extra time to do 2 hours per evening leckying or plumbing you'll have a captive market.

A lot of people like myself can't take time off to let people in to do work, and the plumber I've had for my last bit of work has been doing it for an extra hour each night and it has worked out really well.

I understand you'd need to get qualified first and obviously keep a good work/life balance but out of hours work suits so many people these days.

I do like your thinking and appreciate your reply.
Having worked in a 24 hour restaurant, and working loads in my spare time, it would definately suit me and I can certainly see the appeal if someone did work out of hours. With working hours ever increasing within our society and people having less time it all does make sense :)

Associate
OP
So, after a lot of thought and consideration, I have recently applied to go back to college to do an evening electrician course, I think they start the process in May so I have a short while until I hear back, I have the right grades/qualifications already which is a bonus so that means I don't need an assessment.
I decided to apply for it now rather than put it off any longer, and hopefully I will enjoy it, I still feel unsure about if it's what I want to do, or if it's the right thing, but I guess time will tell.

Cheers

Soldato
Like the others have said it sounds like you just like working, fixing things. Doing the sparks course sounds perfect but also keep doing handyman stuff for people on the side.

Soldato
So, after a lot of thought and consideration, I have recently applied to go back to college to do an evening electrician course, I think they start the process in May so I have a short while until I hear back, I have the right grades/qualifications already which is a bonus so that means I don't need an assessment.
I decided to apply for it now rather than put it off any longer, and hopefully I will enjoy it, I still feel unsure about if it's what I want to do, or if it's the right thing, but I guess time will tell.

Cheers

Best of luck with the course and future, from reading what you have read it sounds like something you'll really enjoy.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies guys, its really means a lot.
I have a problem with overthinking and worrying a lot, I hope it is the right choice to make, and the more i think about things, just working and fixing things is what I enjoy doing, so hopefully if I get on this course, it will open new doors for me :)

Associate
OP
hey how did the electrical course go, did you get on it?
all the best

Sorry for the late reply, I don't get on here all to often, but with recent events I had been meaning to update you all and also request a bit of help.

So I got onto the course in September last year, at a local college which was only a 5 min walk away, it was going really well, was enjoying it, then lock down came, and all of a sudden my plans were on hold.
Our tutors were putting work on MS Teams for us to complete, it wasn't much, but was better than nothing, that finished a few weeks back, mid July I think in time for the summer holidays, now we are supposed to be going back in September of this year to finish off the course, we have some outstanding practicals, coursework and a number of exams, its quite a mess at the moment.
To add to the awkwardness, due to a few circumstances I've had to move back home to my parents in Bournemouth, while still working in Bristol, and waiting for college to reopen so I can go back and finish the course.
Not sure I want to stay in Bristol any more, only lived there 2 years, but the city life isn't for me, and its a bit far from home.

I had planned on doing the next course, after I completed level 2, which is level 3, before all the lockdowns came, and I am written down as being interested, but now I'm just stuck in limbo, trying to workout what to do with myself.

Now, problem is I'm not signed up for the next course at my current college, as lockdown came before anything could have been sorted, and I haven't contacted the college back home to see if its too late or not to sign up, but I'm in a job at the moment that I don't care much for working 6 days a week I am exhausted, and its just paying bills at the moment, so I'm really struggling on whether to wait it out until this course is finished, and get a job back home, then try and get into the trade and complete level 3 in a year or 2, or move back to Bristol, keep working and try to complete level 3 there, I just don't know whats best at the moment.

Here is i'm asking for a little bit of guidance if possible. I applied for an apprenticeship with the council, which included studying the level 3 course, and unfortunately, wasn't short listed for an interview, but its not all bad.

Could anyone give me some tips, pointers on improving my personal statement, please?

This is what I typed up, talking about myself is something I really struggle with and I want to use this as a starting point to improve for my next applications.

Becoming an electrician has always interested me, as it combines my interest of practical, hands on work with my problem solving nature. I am naturally a hardworking individual with the ability to think critically, and to problem solve. I have always enjoyed working with my hands, and using my initiative to get a task completed, to the highest standard. From a young age, I was always helping my father around the house with DIY tasks, using a variety of hand and power tools, and this is something that has always kept my interest.
I decided that pursuing a career as an electrician was right for me, so last year I started my course at South Gloucestershire College. I am currently studying an EAL Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation, which I had been thoroughly enjoying, but unfortunately due to current world events, I will be finishing off in September of this year.
Within the course, I completed several practical’s, where I had to follow a layout drawing, which I finished to a high standard, installing all electrical hardware to the correct measurements, cabling up as required and testing the circuits to ensure they fall within the allowed tolerances.
Prior to completing these practical assessments, I had to complete a wiring diagram and circuit diagram to guide me in correctly wiring up my installations. I also gained a lot knowledge around health and safety, legislation and the science behind the workings of electricity.
Since working full time and studying part time, this has helped me organize and prioritize my time, to complete my coursework on time. I am a self-motivated individual and since studying this course, it has shown me that I have a willingness to learn new skills and knowledge.
My plan is to go onto complete the Level 3 course, work within the field and increase my knowledge, and skills in the area.
Currently, I am required to work as part of a team to ensure all deliveries go out on time, all orders are picked within a timely manner, and communicate with colleagues and people from around the country should there be any issues. I work in a particularly busy super hub, thus there may arise occasions when I need extra support from management, so effective communication is essential.
My current and previous employments have given me the experience to work to tight deadlines, whilst under pressure. Working in a busy and stressful environment helped develop my skills as a team player and taught me to remain calm and act within a professional manner, and also to use my initiative and communicate effectively.
In my last job, in McDonalds, as an assistant manager, it was my duty to enforce all health and safety rules and procedures to protect myself, the staff, customers and the restaurant. To ensure health and safety laws were followed, I had to verify all staff were wearing the correct PPE whilst on shift, when completing cleaning tasks and walking around the restaurant to protect the safety of the building, and all its occupants.
Through previous employment I also gained knowledge and experience in building and maintenance, installation of emergency fire exit lighting, kitchen and bathroom installations and outdoor building and landscape tasks.
Whilst working full time, I have kept myself busy, by teaching myself new skills and using my skills and knowledge to help others, and to also work on small side projects of my own. I gained skills and knowledge in electronics, car servicing and repairs, welding, and building & DIY, and basic electrical installation.
I have used my skills I’ve gained to undertake a number of home improvement tasks which include a custom built motorbike shed, a large porch / outbuilding and also a shed room conversion, all of which I installed electrical circuits and cabling into.
I am self-taught on mobile phone repairs, including laptop and tablet repairs also, which I spend a lot of my free time doing. This has taught me patience, time management, and to think and work methodically, to ensure the devices were repaired correctly, this also helped me use my initiative to problem solve.

I have a lot to offer within this field and I am confident I would excel at the job in hand. I am a quick learner, reliable, trustworthy and not afraid to ask questions. I have grown in maturity and gained a good amount of skill and knowledge. I feel that now is the time to push myself forward, gain the confidence in my ability, and pursue a career that will not only be challenging, but also rewarding and fulfilling.

I contacted the HR manager, and kindly requested any information on how I could improve and this is the response I received.

Thank you for your email, and I am sorry you were not shortlisted for an interview.

This year we received a record number of applications for our apprenticeship vacancy and it was a very difficult task to select the most suitable candidates for an interview.

As this is an apprenticeship vacancy the applications are quite close to each other in terms of grades, knowledge, skills and experience.

We received really high quality applications and when they all meet the criteria as closely as they do, personal statements become the determining factor.

In such close competition, managers will look at whether the applicant has taken their time to make a personal statement, explain why they feel they are the best candidate for the job and how their past experiences and achievements prepared them for this particular position.

When there are so many good applications closely matching the requirements, managers make the decision based on how well the applicant’s personal statement demonstrates that they want this job.

It also allows the managers to learn a lot about the candidate, their communication skills, and how they present themselves.

It was hard for the managers to make the shortlisting out of a very large, high quality applicant pool.

I am sorry you were not successful for this vacancy but please be confident that you only lost out to other candidates who took their time to make a convincing representation that they are suitable for the job.

If you haven’t completed any electrical training yet and you do not manage to find an employer you might consider contacting the college and signing up to the full time course. You can then keep trying to find an employer or get work experience during your course and if you find an employer start the apprenticeship the next year, with some technical training behind you.

From what I am gathering, he is saying I need to improve my personal statement, and also to get more experience in the field?

Is anyone kind enough to give me some pointers on how to sell myself?
It would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom