Diplomatic Immunity

Caporegime
Rabb knew he'd get that answer, everyone knew it, so why did he bother? Just a pointless face saving exercise to pretend we ever have much power with our 'special' friendship.

Caporegime
Rabb knew he'd get that answer, everyone knew it, so why did he bother? Just a pointless face saving exercise to pretend we ever have much power with our 'special' friendship.

So do you think he should have just fobbed off the family and said “nah don’t bother”?

Caporegime
So do you think he should have just fobbed off the family and said “nah don’t bother”?

Being honest would have been better, rather than pretending we have any clout and giving people false hope. But this works for him so he can now just blame American intransigence, his work is now done and he can go get drunk in the stranger's bar.

I have such a low opinion of British politicians, so maybe that's just biased.

Caporegime
Being honest would have been better, rather than pretending we have any clout and giving people false hope. But this works for him so he can now just blame American intransigence, his work is now done and he can go get drunk in the stranger's bar.

I have such a low opinion of British politicians, so maybe that's just biased.

How’s he not being honest?

Caporegime
While it's never going to happen, being honest would be him admitting there's no point in entertaining the notion that the US is going to bend over for the UK. Submitting notice for extradition is not being honest I feel, but goodness knows maybe he's had a private word with the family and was entirely honest to them how it'd go.

I'd honestly revert whatever contemptible opinion i might have of the entire government if he could sum up the courage to say it as it is.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You don’t know it’s never going to happen, especially with a new administration. I don’t see how he’s supposedly not being honest here - seems like the UK is doing the right thing - they’ve charged her, applied for extradition etc...

Has he at any point promised that we’ll for sure get her back or that this will be simple or ade any assurances that the US will comply? Where is this supposed dishonesty?

AFAIK the family know full well this could be a long fight.

Associate
Check-out " Status of visiting Forces". Then try find if any USA person has ever been dealt-with by the judicial organisations in any country. I haven't found any, but then I'm tired :(

Soldato
Caporegime
Good spot! I'd forgotten that one.
Anybody got any more?

I'm sure there was some nonce who escaped justice via diplomatic immunity and annoyed the then Thatcher government... but can't find anything in google and can't remember where I heard it....

Soldato
Ahh, now all becomes clear....

I bet this happens all the time but only rarely causes anything any more than a momentary brown trouser moment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rong-road-outside-base-Harry-Dunn-19-hit.html

Look closely at the layout of the junction where the traffic emerges from it (13 seconds in on the video)

The left filter lane (From the perspective of the camera car) should be removed and the junction generally redesigned (Lights, mini roundabout perhaps) so that people emerging from the base are guided onto the correct side of the road (By making it awkward to emerge onto the wrong side)

As things stand, If somebody sets off incorrectly on the base, that left filter lane will actively direct them onto the wrong side of the road in a manner that will make it unlikely that they will see the oncoming traffic until they have actually fully emerged. Very poor and thoughtless design! :mad:

My rule, If "One" person does it, they were probably careless. If "Lots" of people do it, then the person responsible for the junction layout is probably careless (Or even negligent)

Soldato
Has more than 'One' non American done it?

That would be my view, if they can't make it out of the base successfully, they should not drive in this country.
Else they should return for trial, and not be a dodgy ******* ****, murdering someone and moving along with your life.

Soldato
They won't even try for murder, because it's not.

But even for manslaughter or death by dangerous driving you need to intentionally be doing something stupid to begin with afaik (drunk, on phone, ridiculous speeds, unroadworthy car, etc). It was a genuine mistake and we don't punish people for that unlike the US. Someone dying doesn't make it any less of an accident.

Last edited:
Caporegime
She didn't drive out with the intention of hitting someone and killing them.

Therefore cannot be murder

Murder doesn't require intent, recklessness can still constitute murder.

My point is that without an actual trial with witness testimony and physical evidence you can't so easily dismiss the legal possibility of murder. Though I agree this does look more like a death by dangerous or careless driving case rather than murder or manslaughter.

They won't even try for murder, because it's not.

But even for manslaughter or death by dangerous driving you need to intentionally be doing something stupid to begin with afaik (drunk, on phone, ridiculous speeds, unroadworthy car, etc). It was a genuine mistake and we don't punish people for that unlike the US. Someone dying doesn't make it any less of an accident.

There is a separate offence of careless driving though which this case clearly reaches the threshold for.

Last edited:
Soldato
She didn't drive out with the intention of hitting someone and killing them.

Therefore cannot be murder

You cannot say that with 100% confidence though, can you? For all you, or anybody else, knows she woke up that morning and thought, "you know what, I'm going to kill somebody today by driving my car on the wrong side of the road and then claim it to be an accident".

Soldato
You cannot say that with 100% confidence though, can you? For all you, or anybody else, knows she woke up that morning and thought, "you know what, I'm going to kill somebody today by driving my car on the wrong side of the road and then claim it to be an accident".

No of course you cant, but you cant try/convict somebody on the basis of a bizarre hypothesis over what they might have done that has absolutely no supporting evidence whatsoever either.

Back
Top Bottom