• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2700X, 3600 or i5-4670K for gaming?

Associate
So my PC has seemingly died so this is a good an excuse as any to consider a full upgrade.

I currently have an the 4670K but it's never seemingly been able to overclock (perhaps bad silicone or bad RAM? I've never really investigated). Would I actually see much difference in gaming by moving to AMD and if so, is there any value in the 2700X or should it just be the 3600 and then jump to an 8-core 4xxx series when games start to make use of the extra 2 cores?

I just got a 2070 Super but only game at 1080p (and that won't change for a bit - the jump to 1440p will have to wait for now) and my reference for considering an upgrade is that Assassins Creed Odyssey hits the CPU wall for me at around 40fps on either Very High or Ultra.

What's the general consensus here? If it is to upgrade, what mobo and RAM should I also be looking at?

Thanks!

Associate
OP
So are the gains worth it then, £ for performance?

Edit: And that motherboard is forward compatible with the 4xxx series, correct? Am I right in thinking I need a fan for the CPU - if so, which is recommended? I guess quieter rather than overclocking ability is priority, as I would run at stock.

Double edit: And, whilst I'm asking, what RAM in particular?

Last edited:
Soldato
X570 Aorus elite and 3600X with Crucial E-die.

I just helped a young chap out with this build plus an Aorus PCI-E 4 NVME and 5700XT. It’s a hell of a system.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
2700x vs 3600 is a real dillemna I've been struggling with. 3600 is the better gaming chip right now but 2700x slightly better at other tasks and potentially might close the gap in future if games get optimised for more cores.

I bought a 2700x earlier today but already kinda regretting it versus going 3600 then drop in a 8 core 4000 series at a later date (if my mobo supports it). Keep telling myself the better cooler and free game (Borderlands 3, which I want) makes it an OK choice...

Associate
OP
2700x vs 3600 is a real dillemna I've been struggling with. 3600 is the better gaming chip right now but 2700x slightly better at other tasks and potentially might close the gap in future if games get optimised for more cores.

I bought a 2700x earlier today but already kinda regretting it versus going 3600 then drop in a 8 core 4000 series at a later date (if my mobo supports it). Keep telling myself the better cooler and free game (Borderlands 3, which I want) makes it an OK choice...

If the 2700X was much cheaper, I think it would've made more sense as a short term measure, but I've opted for the 3600 on the MSI board and Crucial RAM. I'm looking forward to giving my Super a bit more CPU grunt to play with!

Associate
I feel vindicated now when I got my crosshair hero 6 and 1700 as part of a deal way back. After the usual 4 cores is all you need crap that was posted. Currently my motherboard supports with a bios update all the new CPUs. And I have my fingers crossed that whatever new CPU's come out this year. The final year of AM4 will be supported also :) I can hold out until 2021 comes around. And hopefully get a discounted 4000 CPU.

Associate
This. :D
3600 better IPC, despite less cores than 2700x, which will be only better if using application that benefit from more cores.
Motherboard for your current CPU is pointless.
And even in multicore productivity applications 3600 is no worse than 2700X, IPC makes up for 2 missing cores.

Man of Honour
And even in multicore productivity applications 3600 is no worse than 2700X, IPC makes up for 2 missing cores.
nearly, but not quite
but in most cases where progs do not scale 100% with core count, the superior single threaded performance of the 3600 usually means the 3600 > 2700x

Back
Top Bottom