Home server 2011

Associate
Trying to install this on newish hardware and struggling a little.

Every time it starts and gets to desktop all the USB ports stop responding
And I cannot do anything with no keyboard or mouce, i have tried all rear and front
USB ports and USB 2 headers on the motherboard.

Msi b450 carbon WiFi motherboard
Ryzen 2600
250 gb ssd

Anyone had this problem that can help

Thank you.

Soldato
Can you connect to it via Terminal Services? It sounds like drivers need updating. You could also try leaving it overnight to let it update itself.

Associate
OP
it now does not go to the desktop, it stuck on where you have to put in language and keyoard settings

it gets to desktop in safemode but no mouse or keyboard, they cut offf just as it says loading windows.

pc runs windows 10 fine with no issues.

Soldato
WHS 2011 is built on Server 2008 so Ryzen drivers might well be an issue. Have you tried slipstreaming the drivers into the install set?

Associate
OP
Have you tried slipstreaming the drivers into the install set?

i got a 2011 iso as the disc i have no longer seems to work, used rufus to make the usb stick.

i dont really know how to slipstream drivers into the install set, is it fairly straight forward.

Soldato
You should google and find out if anyone has managed to get windows 7 running on your hardware. The steps for installing/integrating drivers should be the same.

Seems like a waste of nice shiny hardware though. Couldn't you cobble some old bits of junk together instead? :p

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Given how ancient WHS 2011 is have you thought about trying to run it as a VM instead?

E.g., install Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 (free) on the bare metal then use it to run a virtualised WHS server. Apparently this is possible and Hyper-V should handle the hardware compatibility better. Looks like it also works in Proxmox which is a Linux based Hypervisor using KVM. I've personally ran Windows in Proxmox without problem.

Plus this then means you can run other virtual machines / Docker containers more easily to do whatever you need and you shouldn't see any performance hit either.

Soldato
That's a driver problem, WHS 2011 is too old and went out of support years ago. Some Windows 7 or Server 2008 drivers may not work as its newer hardware and Ryzen doesn't officially supported Windows 7. So you are going to have a more difficult time.

I wouldn't bother to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom