When are you going fully electric?

Associate
I got rid of my 997.1 manual and currently drive a Tesla model 3 performance. The Tesla is significantly quicker and the power much more accessible up to licence losing speeds.
A single gear and no need for gear change makes overtaking/accelerating effortless. It also seems to corner pretty well although I have yet to go out on nice driving roads really.
I'm shocked at how little loss of traction there is the tyres are not actually that wide but it seems to put the power down very well.

The single gear and electric motor combination is a big reason for it feeling so quick.

Whilst there are some things (build quality, internal materials, sense of occasion) etc. I slightly miss it really is a pretty good car (except this misaligned driver side window but that is currently getting fixed). I can also justify accelerating quickly as its cleaner fuel (ignoring particulates etc. from tyres) and the fact that you regenerate electricity when lifting off the accelerator means it is more efficient and less guilt inducing for driving a bit more briskly.

I've found brake use start to irritate me now in the family s-maxr due to wasted energy which came as a bit of a surprise.

The lack of engine noise I think adds to experience and makes the acceleration seem quicker. It also means you get less attention which is a bonus.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Teslas seem quick on paper but its their one party trick, after 60 they run out of puff. They dont exactly corner well either.

Atm though EVs are really to heavy to make a worthy hot hatch. The i3 is about as close as you can get :(

You don't half talk some rubbish.

Who cares what it's like after 60 because in the real world most peoples average speed is like 20-40 mph on an average journey.

Like I said before it's not all about bhp. Even my hybrid car I would classify as a fast car even though it's 10 seconds to 60 as the initial pick up speed it obliterates a lot of other cars. And for reference my ICE car does 0-60 in less than 5 seconds.

Soldato
how long will the model 3 tyres last though, those, and fuel, are main reasons you don't do it ?

Video abouit M3 autopilot use on the uk roads - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTbvHxUzpU
was interested : that it wasn't identifying cars, that might be pulling from laybys (but radar does track stationary stuff?), disengagement at brow of hill,
and lack of pot-hole avoidance ... there go those tyres (had seen a mobile eye article where they tracked them !)

on the lack of ST equivalents ... that may represent a inflexion in EV capabilities ... small city cars with light weight low capacity batteries, large saloons with form factor and purpose to accomodate weighty batteries ... and between them no-cars land.

Soldato
I got rid of my 997.1 manual and currently drive a Tesla model 3 performance. The Tesla is significantly quicker and the power much more accessible up to licence losing speeds.
A single gear and no need for gear change makes overtaking/accelerating effortless. It also seems to corner pretty well although I have yet to go out on nice driving roads really.
I'm shocked at how little loss of traction there is the tyres are not actually that wide but it seems to put the power down very well.

The single gear and electric motor combination is a big reason for it feeling so quick.

Whilst there are some things (build quality, internal materials, sense of occasion) etc. I slightly miss it really is a pretty good car (except this misaligned driver side window but that is currently getting fixed). I can also justify accelerating quickly as its cleaner fuel (ignoring particulates etc. from tyres) and the fact that you regenerate electricity when lifting off the accelerator means it is more efficient and less guilt inducing for driving a bit more briskly.

I've found brake use start to irritate me now in the family s-maxr due to wasted energy which came as a bit of a surprise.

The lack of engine noise I think adds to experience and makes the acceleration seem quicker. It also means you get less attention which is a bonus.
Accelerating fast doesn't really cost any money either, hammering a petrol car not only increases wear but damages your wallet too.

Associate
Accelerating fast doesn't really cost any money either, hammering a petrol car not only increases wear but damages your wallet too.
Yeah non of this waiting till the oil temperature increases. With regards to tyre wear I don't do many miles (4000 a year) maybe slightly more as will use more with family but will report back when I need new ones.

The app access, Tesla cam, sentry mode and pre-heating the cabin is also ace as well. Sentry does chew through a fair bit of power though so only really use it in car parks etc.
The doors etc and panels seem a bit flimsy though and the seats in the model 3 could do with more side support.

Soldato
I suppose one thing that would concern me is at least in the unfortunate event of running out of fuel I can still do the "Walk of Shame" with the spare fuel can and be back on my way. Getting a flat battery with an EV would (I imagine) be a recovery vehicle job.

Lets say (Hypothetically) that there has been an accident on a motorway in bad winter weather. with hours of delays, while I dare say even now there is an issue sometimes regarding vehicles that actually run out of fuel while they are waiting, but at least this is reasonably easily remedied. something like this happening with dozens (Or perhaps even more) of discharged EV's would produce utter chaos.

Soldato
Lets say (Hypothetically) that there has been an accident on a motorway in bad winter weather. with hours of delays, while I dare say even now there is an issue sometimes regarding vehicles that actually run out of fuel while they are waiting, but at least this is reasonably easily remedied. something like this happening with dozens (Or perhaps even more) of discharged EV's would produce utter chaos.

Worst case scenario, you are sat with the car turned off and you have a crap heater that draws 1kWh from the pack, with a car that had 30kW battery one third full it could sit there for ten hours.

Or here is another example for you, 24 hours in a car not even trying to preserve energy.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Will it? Is there any evidence of that?

We all know what happens when you thrash a cold engine. No such thing on an ev.

Also when it goes flat you just recharge it
This is the best part. I floor my i3 every morning about 2 minutes into the commute to get through a crappy traffic light/roundabout/traffic light sequence to avoid getting stuck for 5 minutes.
Doing that in an ICE vehicle is impossible. Love it :D

Soldato
i3's are the most (pleasantly) distinctive ev's on the the roads - , can't believe they are depreciating much either, a future classic ?

[ after 100pages most threads are doing the timewarp
Tesla even warn you about it when enabling the highest performance mode.
please. Stop.
P-100
That's a problem as well. People actually struggle to make it round the Nurburgring before the batteries get to hot and it goes in to limp mode :/
]

Soldato
UK government planning to bring new petrol/diesel ban forward five years to 2035 now, AND include hybrids this time.

Haven’t yet read if that includes plug-ins or not. Looks like the pace of change is starting to gather. Grab that V8 while you still can!

Edit: Includes plug-ins, too!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Was just reading that - I'm not sure supply of EVs will be able to cope with demand though unless things change a lot I can see this being little more than a good sounding soundbite by the Conservatives who have no intention of adhering to it.

Soldato
I imagine many Tory MPs wouldn’t be happy about it either. It’s a big, black and white target though and will gain international attention. It would be very embarrassing to climb down from it (though there would very likely be a different PM in office by then).

Soldato
I imagine many Tory MPs wouldn’t be happy about it either. It’s a big, black and white target though and will gain international attention. It would be very embarrassing to climb down from it (though there would very likely be a different PM in office by then).
Thats what i find funny, they can make a claim and none of them have to worry if its achieved or not. Was just discussing this, i have no issues with it, but i assume classic petrol cars will stay on the roads due to value (although likely not driven much), and normal cars will just disappear (although not sure how you could scrap off that many cars).

Back
Top Bottom