• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel about to expand into Graphics, AMD on the rise, are the tables turning on nVidia?

Caporegime
@Psycho Sonny, That is your case but a 1080Ti like many have/had to a 2000 series esp at launch unless you were desperate to try lacking buggy RTX back at launch and many thread here advised against it when the question was asked if they should upgrade their 1080Ti (one was last week).

You really think I if my EVGA 1080Ti was still ok (10 year warranty so not an issue like your card and it was a golden 2100mhz stable Core Heaven/Valley/games) or the Titan Xp I should have moved to the 2080Ti on launch day?

I have been sitting pretty since 2017 and still am, just because a new card is finally 20% faster does not make mines unusable and RTX does not even come into it at this stage for now.

I added the 100% per jump to show him what a proper gain is not 20% but that is what your going to get drop fed with now and was the same on Intel side of CPU's due to no competition for a long time.

you never buy brand new tech at launch unless you want to be ripped off or take a dip into the unknown unless the company has a flawless track record.

i wanted a smart lock for my front door. yale's first gen products aren't fit for purpose so i'm still waiting. i still want a smart lock but i'm going to wait to see how the second gen pans out.

so i had a 1080 and i waited and when the 20 series launched i looked at pricing and said no thanks. i waited and waited. then the 2070 supers launched. i waited then for BF and saw a cracking deal. i then bought. it cost me next to nothing to do and i now have a card with warranty.

holding onto a 1080ti or any 10 series card without warranty is risky. especially when you can get so much money for them second hand now.

if i was you i'd be selling the 1080ti and getting a 1070 super. it will cost you maybe £100 to upgrade to 20 series. you will get a slight boost in power and ray tracing. you will also get a brand new warranty. for me those 3 things combined it's a no brainer.

Permabanned
I do not have the 1080Ti, I said above fan acted up so was RMA'd, I have a Titan Xp and will not be buying any 2000 series as I need a blower (there is a few blowers but cheap quality).

And if I did have the 1080Ti I again said above it was EVGA so 10 year warranty.

Associate
The x86 license which they desperately need is not transferable. If they start using ARM-type of cores, the performance competitiveness will be doubtful.

I think nvidia is screwed and doomed in the long term, more likely intel and AMD would support Xe and Radeon on their platforms, while dropping the full support of nvidia cards.
I would advise them to do so ;)

And helloo-oo antitrust.

Nvidia are killing it in the CUDA/ML space so I wouldn't worry about them going under any time soon.

Soldato
I’ve been getting the impression AMD don’t really want the very top end of the market. While those cards and their owners may be numerous on here overall the cards are single digit percentage of market share with very little return available. AMD are far more into the mid range or slightly towards top end as there’s more buyers there. It also means less spend on bleeding edge R&D with little return.

The mid to lower end of the market it where the volume is at. Just look at the latest Steam survey - https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Dominated by low end Nvidia cards. AMD need to get in to those buyers when they upgrade.

Soldato
And helloo-oo antitrust.

Nvidia are killing it in the CUDA/ML space so I wouldn't worry about them going under any time soon.

for all the doom and gloom over RTX not selling, nvidia are saying the opposite and they just took back an extra 5% in discrete GPU market share - AMD back down to 27% market share, and with the reports that Intel's attempts at making a discrete GPU are not hitting the efficiency targets of competitors it looks most likely that intel would be cannibalising AMD's sales rather than nvidia's

Associate
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...rete-graphics-card-dg1-en-route-to-developers

It's a start. Will be good to see a third player in the GPU market once the gaming cards are out.

Permabanned
As has been hotly debated many times on this forum over the last couple of years Intel were mad for throwing a lifebuoy to Mr Koduri as he walked the plank during his exit from the sinking ship ISS RTG which he ran for AMD, It beggars belief that somehow a billion dollar company like Intel missed all the warning signs when they hired the fired Koduri to steer their ship into the choppy waters of the GPU market, It now looks like things are going wrong over at Intel's GPU department as they did for RTG under Koduri's reign, If there was one thing they should have learned from watching Mr Koduri's time at AMD it's that while he may be good at working on a gpu's architecture when it comes to heading up a division he's completely incompetent. Let's hope that this time the captain goes down with his ship.

Permabanned
YouTube is blocked at work, I'm assuming that video is from AdoredTV? Watched his wee little rundown on the ****storm going on with Intel's GPU last night and I did have a chuckle.

I must admit that I got more pleasure from watching this than I should have. Maybe it'd be a good thing if Mr Koduri got a top spot over at Nvidia next. :D

Caporegime
OP
As has been hotly debated many times on this forum over the last couple of years Intel were mad for throwing a lifebuoy to Mr Koduri as he walked the plank during his exit from the sinking ship ISS RTG which he ran for AMD, It beggars belief that somehow a billion dollar company like Intel missed all the warning signs when they hired the fired Koduri to steer their ship into the choppy waters of the GPU market, It now looks like things are going wrong over at Intel's GPU department as they did for RTG under Koduri's reign, If there was one thing they should have learned from watching Mr Koduri's time at AMD it's that while he may be good at working on a gpu's architecture when it comes to heading up a division he's completely incompetent. Let's hope that this time the captain goes down with his ship.

I agree with AdoerdTV on Koduri completely, Under his premiership AMD's GPU's tried to do everything and because of that ended up doing nothing well and with high power consumption, exactly like the complaints Intel insiders now apparently have about their new GPU's, Intel's GPU's are Vega '''''before Lisa reformulated them for mobile and increased the gaming IPC by 50%.

And yes, Intel are arrogant and incompetent.

Back
Top Bottom