Buying a used car for son

Associate
Was thinking of getting one from a dealer but have found a local private seller who is the second keeper and seems to have maintained the car in very good condition with FSH and clear MOT's for the last 5 years (not even a single advisory). Will do some basic checks and hopefully get to drive the car to get a feel of the suspension/steering. Do you think I should buy a full vehicle check (I have checked that it's not CATS/N).

Associate
OP
Always worth doing a HPI if thats what mean, should be all good otherwise

That's what I mean. What other info will the HPI check provide? It hasn't been written off, can't believe there will be any outstanding finance as it's 6 years old (would be illegal anyway to sell it afaik)

Associate
OP
My previous experience from a
If you buy private, bring a mechanic along.
Caveat emptor

I did pay an AA mechanic to do a check previously and it was a complete waste of money. Aircon did not work, strut leaking (described as "misty"). Will explore other options.

Soldato
My previous experience from a

I did pay an AA mechanic to do a check previously and it was a complete waste of money. Aircon did not work, strut leaking (described as "misty"). Will explore other options.

Pretty sure when he said "Mechanic" he did not mean some numpty from the AA, that would be like taking a car to Halfrauds

Caporegime
Btw do timing chains need any sort of maintenance?
Depends on the car/engine.

Some need renewed tensioners during their usable life, some will need replacement due to chain stretch, though this is likely to be a longer interval than a belt.

The chain on my 3.2 VR6 is still in tolerance at 128,000 miles, but HAS stretched compared to new.

Soldato
Btw do timing chains need any sort of maintenance?

As above, theoretically they shouldn't. In practice they often do.

Look out for rattles when the engine is first started (Warning sign)

Rattles all the time, work needs doing now. If ignored, badly worn chains can actually jump teeth causing damage similar to timing belt failure (Chain drive VW twin cams are very prone to this)

Modern cars will sometimes also throw faults for camshaft sensor and go into limp mode with worn timing chains

(Nissan Micra K12 were particularly notorious for this, even at really quite low mileages)

So yes. Timing chain =/= no maintenance problems....

Caporegime
I wouldn't spend more than 1K on a first car and certainly wouldn't bother paying extra for a car in nice condition, its going to get bumped and scraped, or in my case wrapped round a tree... :p

Associate
OP
Had a look at the car and looks in very good condition with full service record, clear MOT. The seller however is not the registered keeper. Bought the car from a family friend recently. Should I ask that I meet at least with the registered keeper (confirm ID etc)? Reason for not registering is that he was going to sell the car anyway once the one he ordered arrived.

Back
Top Bottom