Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Anyone interested in Tesla? I invested in-line with my car order (I've learnt from hindsight that I should follow some of my purchasing habits with investments, or lack thereof if talking about shorting). All my investments are long term but happy to see it's up 30% in less than a week! Target price is still much higher than current (varies per broker).

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I could do with moving some old ISA's around. I set-up a Vanguard 100% Lifestrategy a few weeks back which is now down about -5% right now presumably thanks to Brexit/Coronavirus :o.

For those of you who know way more about this kind of thing than me, what's the gut feel - wait to see if it goes down more before I move them, or is now the best time to take advantage of it?

Soldato
No one can "know" for sure. But time in the market is better than timing the market. Might be worth switching to FTSE global all cap accumulation instead of LS100 due to being more balanced weighting. I switched my 2018 ISA from LS100 to FTSE global all cap earlier this week so now I'm all in on that.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
No one can "know" for sure. But time in the market is better than timing the market. Might be worth switching to FTSE global all cap accumulation instead of LS100 due to being more balanced weighting. I switched my 2018 ISA from LS100 to FTSE global all cap earlier this week so now I'm all in on that.

Yeah I gather it's a bit of a gamble either way. I might split it between the two then as I couldn't decide which to go for initially between these two anyway. I assume from what I've read they probably largely mimic each other so I'm probably not diversifying too much just the all cap has far less UK weighting.

Do you know if I'm able to transfer an ISA into Vanguard as cash, then allocate to the fund I want when I see fit, or does the transfer process mean it has to go straight into a fund? It's from a cash ISA for the record.

Soldato
Anyone interested in Tesla? I invested in-line with my car order (I've learnt from hindsight that I should follow some of my purchasing habits with investments, or lack thereof if talking about shorting). All my investments are long term but happy to see it's up 30% in less than a week! Target price is still much higher than current (varies per broker).
I was late to the party for sure but took a punt a while ago on the basis I'd keep it long term whatever happens as I'm interested in the company and tech but being up 50% sure is tempting to cash out :o

Associate
I've just got started with Trading 212 - bought a small amount of shares in AMD, purely for a bit of fun. I am talking about the cost of a decent meal/night out kind of money, so not big bucks. I understand that they are unlikely to ever pay dividends whilst in debt, it wasn't for a 'serious investment'.

But on the subject of dividends, how do they work for a platform such as Trading 212? How does the company know to pay the dividend to me, and then to Trading 212?

As an aside, looking at BP at the moment. Their shares have been on a general downward trend since the start of the year; any thoughts as to why?

Soldato
Help a noob out... once I've chosen an online broker, presumably if I have allowance left an ISA is probably the best initial account to open? Have been reading up on the differences and that feels like what I'm leaning towards? Want to be able to pick a few different funds + maybe some light individual trading; my reading is that once I have cash in an ISA I can choose where it gets distributed

Caporegime
Informative, well explained stuff guys!

Wait till you see some forums where people believe in magical numbers [something something Fibonacci] or draw coloured lines on charts as part of some handwaving explanation (complete with plenty of mumbo jumbo) re: where the price is going to be in future.

Soldato
Wait till you see some forums where people believe in magical numbers [something something Fibonacci] or draw coloured lines on charts as part of some handwaving explanation (complete with plenty of mumbo jumbo) re: where the price is going to be in future.

Been there, done that, all 10-15 years ago when I cut my teeth on penny stocks and "but this new new mine really is going to strike gold!". Fortunately I didn't have much money to lose back then.

Tesla's the only individual share I'm actually invested in, rest are funds and index trackers. Don't have the time or inclination to second-guess the market. Only invested early Jan because as I said I've learnt I should follow some of my consumer habits with investments if possible. If you ignore the future then yeah of course Tesla is overpriced, but that's what all investments are based on right. One analyst has even given them a price target of $7,000 by 2024. Who knows, all I know is I've purchased one out of nowhere and I can see the ripples of that with a lot of people's ears pricking up to EVs, even if you totally ignore the climate emergency* and air pollution in cities.

They're the only solid contender at present based on price, brand and availability and if car manufaturers' brands weren't so strong I could easily see them becoming synonymous with EVs (hoovers, jacuzzi, iPad to some extent etc).

* I'm not here to debate the impact of EVs on the environment, cobalt this cobalt that etc, but you can't deny the growing consumer demand for - on the face of it - greener alternatives. I mean KFC released a vegan burger ffs.

Caporegime
Sorry, I'm just letting you know my random musing. If you want anything more informative than that speak to a financial advisor.

Doubt they'd generally be much help re: predicting future price movements.

If you need some pension advice or general advice on investments with regards to regulations, how to structure things etc.. then sure, speak to an IFA.

Back
Top Bottom