TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
I'm closer than I have ever been to binning it; especially after the BBC Sounds / Smart Speakers debacle. I've had no qualms about paying for an infrequently used service but with the advent of streaming services and the ever decreasing quality of BBC output over the past decade I think It's time to move on.

Shame; if I'm honest.

Caporegime
It makes me wonder if they are resistant to going commercial because they probably wouldnt earn enough due to their inflated salaries.

The licence fee should be scrapped and they should move it to an online subscription service.

BBC couldn't survive like it does if it Went Itv/c4 style

All the international news and expensive documentaries would have to go I'm sure

Soldato
And Just like that no Tv Licence, filled out the online form. For me having a tv licence is just wasting money.
Have you requested a refund? I’m just going through the form now and didn’t realise I had to print a form off and show evidence I’m the home owner and send both away?

Associate
Well it's been just over a year, license free. I had one letter near to when I signed off it and nothing since, not even a knock on the door which is a little disappointing tbh. I genuinely don't watch the TV anymore, on any channel. Might look at their website occasionally for a laugh at the comments sections and might listen to a bit of radio 4ex , which I'd be happy to subscribe to.

Naughty me for dodging that I guess , but I'm not funding 1M a year salaries for sports presenters on channels that don't broadcast sports!

Soldato
It makes me wonder if they are resistant to going commercial because they probably wouldnt earn enough due to their inflated salaries.

The licence fee should be scrapped and they should move it to an online subscription service.
Is there a reason why it not a subscription service like Netflix, amazon video , sky etc ?

As I never watch anything on the bbc channels but I still got pay for there stupid licence which really doesn't seem fair :mad:

Soldato
About time, they have other revenue income these days, pretty sure no one would care if the aired adverts, they air content in countries like the US and I am pretty sure they don't have to pay a TV licence to watch it

Associate
Seems typos to boat for it, when the majority pay subscription for something they really want to watch, rather than those poor shoes from BBC. No reason to foot the bill for their astronomical salaries.

Soldato
I cant even remember the last time i watched live t.v at home, the last house there was no aerial and in this house i havent bothered getting the cable to connect it to the t.v.
We only stopped paying the license fee about 6 months ago, the wife always paid it out of fear.

She was meant to stop about 2 years ago but she kept secretly paying it...silly woman lol

Soldato
NEEDing a service isn't a precursor for tax contribution toward it; a childless couple doesn't NEED the local school etc. However, it's available to them should they ever NEED or choose to use it.

That's the concept that most freeloaders can't get their head around, like the guy who doesn't pay because he only wants to watch the events that suit him.

There's also those convinced that they don't own a TV and so don't need to contribute, even though they watch YouTube streams on a regular basis.

This is why I feel that general taxation is the best solution, it removes the ambiguity and makes it fair on those who genuinely can't afford the current license fee yet depend on the service.

Why should someone who watches YouTube streams feel any obligation to "contribute" financially to the TV license? What are you even talking about?

Soldato
Think it’s the beginning of the end for the
licence. Something like 850,000 households cancelled last year. Only a matter of time before this accelerates and the BBC is left with a shortfall, even after efficiency savings (which don’t go far enough).

It’s just not suited to the times.

Soldato
It’s an outdated model and frankly given the fact it burns through nearly £4 billion a year not exactly efficient

time to sell it off

privatise the bbc on a fully commercial basis. Let it put a bit of cash into the economy on its way out the door and stand on its own

Or

cut it back to a basic tv and radio service. I don’t need the state producing soaps comedies and documentaries. There’s plenty of for profit companies doing that

cut it back to bbc news and a couple of radio stations for most likely a 50th of the price

Back
Top Bottom