How high does your liquid temps go?

Soldato
Just curious, I've got mine to sit around 38C under load from long sessions with ambient temps of 24C.

I'm wondering if I can lower the fans a bit for a more silent operation but let the liquid creep to 45C... Or is that just too high?

Soldato
I haven't measured temps directly yet, but my GPU temps max out at 53°C under load. At that time, the idle temp is about 45°C. So under heat soak conditions I'm assuming my water temp is mid 40s.

I'd say 50 scares me so I'm sailing as close to the wind as I dare, this is a build geared towards silence though.

I'll be installing a temp sensor at some point.

Soldato
personally would not bother me to go to mid 40s to be honest if keeping things very quiet, creeping near 50 would be an issue though personally. I believe most liquid cooling parts are rated for around 60 degrees for pumps with some tubing rated for slightly higher, but if your water temp is at 60 degrees, you have issues on your hands.

for myself my main rig, around 38-40 degrees over a long period under load according to sensors (slightly lower temp on sensors after the radiators) to be fair has a number of hot components in while staying relatively quiet so not bad. Have seen it go up to around mid - high 40's on the very hot summer days where there is no wind to remove heat from the room either.

HTPC, get's to around 38-42 degrees. Slim radiators and the Shift X case is kinda meh on airflow and that is while staying quiet. So temps could be cooler, but not an issue either (CPU is around 50-60) and GPU peeks at around 50 degrees under a very heavy load. tbh I have set the loop up for form over function so temps are not optimal on the CPU.

Soldato
OP
Cool, I didn't have my liquid temp sensor enabled in my log settings within Aquero (oops). I've set that up, the reason behind this question is I'm looking for a near silent setup, previously, I'd have my Noctua NF-A12x25 fans running at 1,400 rpm when the liquid got to 38C which is where it sort of leveled out, within .5C either side. Fans running at 800rpm (give or take 50rpm) when below 35C water temp. I've dropped the fan curve down allowing the fans to creep to 1,150 rpm until 45C and last night after a long gaming session, the liquid got to around 42C however I don't have log data to reference. But the machine was truly silent. I love those fans.

I don't like the idea of the liquid going above 45C, so that's where I ramp up fan speed to 1,800rpm should stuff get too high.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Full on with a 4.9 8700k plus a Vega 64 in the loop:

CPU - 50-60
GPU - 40-50
Water temp - 34-38

Ambient is low 20s

HTH

What fans and what RPM? I've got 2x 360 PE radiators, 3x Noctua NF-A12x25's per radiator, and one case fan (also a NF-A12x25) bringing in cold air and to keep the pressure positive.

In the loop is:

i9 9900k @ 4.8Ghz (all cores), 1.23 vcore
EVGA 2080 ti XC Ultra - +150Mhz/+1,000Mhz (core/mem) with a 130% power target

Ambient temp is all over the place at the moment here in San Francisco, the ambient temp sensor I have setup is just hanging out below my case so I'm going to do a full 6 hour stress test whilst I watch some films over an evening. So it will start with the door open meaning cool ambient but over the evening it will crank up as we put heating on. As for the test, I'll probably just leave Furmark running and Aida64 stress test CPU running.

Anyway, thank you for the information! Good to know my liquid temps are the norm and it's running damn silent right now.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I see around 45 on mine under load in an ambient of 26. (the ambient rises due to the radiators dumping air at 40+ degrees into the room)

That is with the following being cooled by a 420 + 240 45mm thick radiators with gentle typhoon fans at 1000rpm:
Threadrippper 1920x @ 1.36V runs in the 70's for most normal loads. (peaks 80 or so under stress)
Vega 56 @ 1100mV runs around 40 degrees under normal load (peaks 48-50 under stress)
GTX 780 @ stock as a CUDA/physX accelerator scarcely breaks 25 degrees

Soldato
Usually maxes out around 38c after a good 3 or 4 hour gaming session.
Room temp is usually 24-25c, GPU 45c, CPU 55-60c

Radiators
1x 240mm Black Ice
1x 280mm Black Ice

CPU 7700K 5ghz (1.32v)
GPU 1080ti 2.05ghz/6000mhz

With 2x 140mm & 2x 120mm Varder fans running on a custom speed profile controlled via Argos software.

Last edited:
Associate
What fans and what RPM? I've got 2x 360 PE radiators, 3x Noctua NF-A12x25's per radiator, and one case fan (also a NF-A12x25) bringing in cold air and to keep the pressure positive.

In the loop is:

i9 9900k @ 4.8Ghz (all cores), 1.23 vcore
EVGA 2080 ti XC Ultra - +150Mhz/+1,000Mhz (core/mem) with a 130% power target

Ambient temp is all over the place at the moment here in San Francisco, the ambient temp sensor I have setup is just hanging out below my case so I'm going to do a full 6 hour stress test whilst I watch some films over an evening. So it will start with the door open meaning cool ambient but over the evening it will crank up as we put heating on. As for the test, I'll probably just leave Furmark running and Aida64 stress test CPU running.

Anyway, thank you for the information! Good to know my liquid temps are the norm and it's running damn silent right now.

Those rads are useless for quiet operation imo. They work fine but need to have min 1300rpms. I had 360PE and 28CE together or 360PE and 240PE or only 360PE and difference was minimal in fan speed (usually while gaming around 1400-1500 to have decent water temps), which means it was overkill for gear I had, but still rads required more fan speed.

Now I have 360GTS+360PE and max curve that I have setup is 1000rpm and water temps are still around 40C

Man of Honour
My radiators are a pair of Black Ice Nemesis GTX280's with 4x Arctic Cooling P14 140mm fans in push mode. A second set of 4x P14's are installed in pull mode and turned on during hot periods in the summer so I get extra airflow while keeping the noise down. In the loop are my 9600k clocked at 5Ghz core/4.7Ghz uncore at 1.35v and my GTX 1070 at stock (boosts to 2025mhz and even 2050mhz all by itself if it's cool enough).

My Winter water temps are normally in the 14-22 degrees C range, depending on what I am doing. Thats with the fans ticking over at 900rpm. Currently it's at 14.6 degrees C although that is now coming down as the heating is on and the windows has been closed for the last couple of hours. I have been as low as 6.2 degrees when it's silly cold outside but I chickened out on letting it get any colder than that. In the summer it's usually 22-25 degrees C, occassionaly hitting 30-32 in the silly hot periods when I need to activate the second set of four fans so I am running push/pull to keep the noise down. Before anybody pipes up and says that those temps are just not possible, my radiators are a pair of the best you can get and are mounted in a box on a windowsill drawing outside air through them. No, I don't get any condensation, don't ask me why because I can't understand it either. Magic!!

Soldato
OP
Those rads are useless for quiet operation imo. They work fine but need to have min 1300rpms. I had 360PE and 28CE together or 360PE and 240PE or only 360PE and difference was minimal in fan speed (usually while gaming around 1400-1500 to have decent water temps), which means it was overkill for gear I had, but still rads required more fan speed.

Now I have 360GTS+360PE and max curve that I have setup is 1000rpm and water temps are still around 40C

I wouldn't say useless, I've some serious airflow through them at 1,100rpm using the Noctua NF-A12x25's. I can certainly see a weaker fan struggling through so I do see what you're saying.

I did think about putting in an extra 3 fans at the bottom rad for a push/pull setup (won't fit a push pull config on the top radiator sadly) to even further increase the positive pressure and help with temps. But honestly, having created this thread and also googling around, my liquid temps are spot on expected given the setup. So I'm super happy, the PC is silent, can't hear it both under load and idle, temps are stable and cool, mission accomplished!

Now, it's winter here... We will see what it's like at 35C in a few months as our apartment gets VERY hot...

My radiators are a pair of Black Ice Nemesis GTX280's with 4x Arctic Cooling P14 140mm fans in push mode. A second set of 4x P14's are installed in pull mode and turned on during hot periods in the summer so I get extra airflow while keeping the noise down. In the loop are my 9600k clocked at 5Ghz core/4.7Ghz uncore at 1.35v and my GTX 1070 at stock (boosts to 2025mhz and even 2050mhz all by itself if it's cool enough).

My Winter water temps are normally in the 14-22 degrees C range, depending on what I am doing. Thats with the fans ticking over at 900rpm. Currently it's at 14.6 degrees C although that is now coming down as the heating is on and the windows has been closed for the last couple of hours. I have been as low as 6.2 degrees when it's silly cold outside but I chickened out on letting it get any colder than that. In the summer it's usually 22-25 degrees C, occassionaly hitting 30-32 in the silly hot periods when I need to activate the second set of four fans so I am running push/pull to keep the noise down. Before anybody pipes up and says that those temps are just not possible, my radiators are a pair of the best you can get and are mounted in a box on a windowsill drawing outside air through them. No, I don't get any condensation, don't ask me why because I can't understand it either. Magic!!

Damn! Impressive temps, sadly my case is nowhere near a window so that's not possible haha.

Associate
Mine always sit around 30/32c with heavy workloads and fans running low, summer usually a tad higher at about 35c but that’s most I have ever seen them sit at

Soldato
OP
Mine always sit around 30/32c with heavy workloads and fans running low, summer usually a tad higher at about 35c but that’s most I have ever seen them sit at

Numbers mean nothing without loop details mate :D For all we know, you could have a 3570k at 1.2Ghz underclocked with 2x 360 push pull rads! :D

Soldato
OP
FZoeLMS.png

Heres some fun stats, I played WoW for a little bit tonight, the chunk between 1845 and 1903 was the wall radiator kicking out some serious heat. It's electric (America... Cheap horrible long low profile electric 'radiators') which is at the back of our desks, all that heat was being sucked into the PC raising temps a considerable amount. We also have an electric fire we leave on in the evenings at the moment which was on the entire time. The radiator was a blast to warm the place up quickly whilst the fire got up to temp. Once the heating turned off, the temps dropped and slowly started to rise as the ambient temp climbed as well.

I've set the Aquero to log ambient temps and tomorrow I will do the same test in a more demanding game over a few hours (Red Dead Redemption 2). It's interesting to see just how much the temperature of the surrounding air plays a role! Who'd a thunk it eh? Thermodynamics are real :p

Associate
Numbers mean nothing without loop details mate :D For all we know, you could have a 3570k at 1.2Ghz underclocked with 2x 360 push pull rads! :D

haha close enough but not quite. My cpu loop is intact an i5 3570k but it’s running at 4.7ghz on 1.3ish volts(can’t remember exact) the same loop is also cooling a Maximus v extreme mobo that has 2 980ti cards on. The rad on the first loop are nexus 40mm x 480mm with Corsair ll140 in push pull,
The second loop is cooling the 2 980ti cards on stock and a Aquero 6 fan controller with a nexxxus 20mm x 360 rad in push and a 280mm nexxxus 40 x 280mm in push with Corsair ll140.
Got a fair bit of coolant in each loop tho as they have very large res each I think 60mm x 400mm long

Man of Honour
Damn! Impressive temps, sadly my case is nowhere near a window so that's not possible haha.

Mine isn't either. The radiators are in a purpose made filtered box sitting on the windowsill and I drilled three holes in the wall between my computer room and the landing. Two are for the coolant pipes (12mm copper pipes) and the other is for the fan extension cables. Adapt and overcome!! :)

Soldato
Speccy:

Lian li O11D
9600kf @5.1 all core
gigabyte Aorus Xtreme waterblocked card +55/+550

D5 on 2nd setting
1 x XSPC EX360 push pull
1 x XSPC TX360 pull
1 x XSPC EX240 push pull

Fans around 35% idle and 60% average on load.

CPU temps average 55-60c
GPU temps average 42-48c (game dependent)
Water temp around 35c

Could do with lower gpu temps as i get a higher boost clock when it sits under 45c but can't seem to get there. Repasted my gpu and cpu block and saw improvements on the cpu straight away but not much on the gpu.

Soldato
OP
Speccy:

Lian li O11D
9600kf @5.1 all core
gigabyte Aorus Xtreme waterblocked card +55/+550

D5 on 2nd setting
1 x XSPC EX360 push pull
1 x XSPC TX360 pull
1 x XSPC EX240 push pull

Fans around 35% idle and 60% average on load.

CPU temps average 55-60c
GPU temps average 42-48c (game dependent)
Water temp around 35c

Could do with lower gpu temps as i get a higher boost clock when it sits under 45c but can't seem to get there. Repasted my gpu and cpu block and saw improvements on the cpu straight away but not much on the gpu.

I'd say that's on par, I get very similar temps on my GPU.

Associate
Depends if the side panel is on or off the case lol!

Under Load:
Ambient: 20 degrees
In case temperature: +3 degrees typically
Liquid Temperature: + 6 degrees over incase temperature typically

So in the above scenario Liquid temp would be 29 degrees if room temp was 20 degrees. GPU loads around 35 degrees, CPU in the 50s

Soldato
I have wc:
-2x HWLabs GTS360 Rads
-EK CPU block on 3900x
-EK GPU block on GTX1080
-Corsair ML120 fans
-EK D5 Pump/Res

Never seen my water temp go past 34.5°C, that includes gaming for many hours at a time.

Back
Top Bottom