• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel about to expand into Graphics, AMD on the rise, are the tables turning on nVidia?

Permabanned
I agree with AdoerdTV on Koduri completely, Under his premiership AMD's GPU's tried to do everything and because of that ended up doing nothing well and with high power consumption, exactly like the complaints Intel insiders now apparently have about their new GPU's, Intel's GPU's are Vega '''''before Lisa reformulated them for mobile and increased the gaming IPC by 50%.

And yes, Intel are arrogant and incompetent.

Same here, imo he's pretty much bang on & as he theorizes at the end that it's pretty unlikely Mr Koduri will still be at Intel when they make a serious play for some GPU market share which also sounds likely.

Soldato
Heh. Wccftech is in full clickbait headline. Stating that the Intel GPU is 40% faster than the Vega 7nm.......

Ofc when someone reads the article is barely faster than the IGP used on the 4800U low power, not event the 4800H, let alone the upcoming APU's.

Soldato
But surely despite his short comings, he has pushed Intels GPU aspirations forward even if it turns out to be a repeat of the same failures of Vega.

But you kill those aspirations if it goes from a passable streaming processor (which would be sellable with today's emphasis on AI learning, etc), to a poor general GPU that no one wants and you can only give away as a developer only device. It wouldn't be the first time Intel has gone down the road of a failed GPU and pulled the project just because it wasn't good enough compared to it's competitors.

Now, with process problems, security and performance problems, general problems in the CPU space, job cuts, etc I wonder if Intel has the patience to pour money into another failed GPU project that may take years to turn into a viable product. The whole project may be canned along with Koudouri, as he seems to leave a mess wherever he goes.

Soldato
But you kill those aspirations if it goes from a passable streaming processor (which would be sellable with today's emphasis on AI learning, etc), to a poor general GPU that no one wants and you can only give away as a developer only device. It wouldn't be the first time Intel has gone down the road of a failed GPU and pulled the project just because it wasn't good enough compared to it's competitors.

Now, with process problems, security and performance problems, general problems in the CPU space, job cuts, etc I wonder if Intel has the patience to pour money into another failed GPU project that may take years to turn into a viable product. The whole project may be canned along with Koudouri, as he seems to leave a mess wherever he goes.

I don't disagree, but this could still represent progress for Intel in the GPU space.

A presence is a start.

Soldato
But surely despite his short comings, he has pushed Intels GPU aspirations forward even if it turns out to be a repeat of the same failures of Vega.

Which Vega failures? Vega was an absolute compute beast, not only the MI cards but even the humble V64/56. For 1/5th the money had 80% the performance of Volta based cards on computing.

Gaming performance wise was in par to GTX1080 in DX11 and outperformed the GTX1080 on DX12 and Vulkan. That happens even today on benchmarks using current drivers. And we talking about the Reference Vega 64. Not some better cooled ones like the Nitro which is 20% faster out of the box.

Sure you might say all these are irrelevant today since the 5600XT Red Dragon at $280 beats both the above.

I don't disagree, but this could still represent progress for Intel in the GPU space.

A presence is a start.

A presense at which segment? The Intel gGPU is just faster than the Ryzen 4800U IGP, which is 15W laptop APU!!!!!!!
They do not dare to pit it against the 4800H laptop CPU!!!!! :D

Soldato
Which Vega failures? Vega was an absolute compute beast, not only the MI cards but even the humble V64/56. For 1/5th the money had 80% the performance of Volta based cards on computing.

Gaming performance wise was in par to GTX1080 in DX11 and outperformed the GTX1080 on DX12 and Vulkan. That happens even today on benchmarks using current drivers. And we talking about the Reference Vega 64. Not some better cooled ones like the Nitro which is 20% faster out of the box.

Sure you might say all these are irrelevant today since the 5600XT Red Dragon at $280 beats both the above.

A presense at which segment? The Intel gGPU is just faster than the Ryzen 4800U IGP, which is 15W laptop APU!!!!!!!

I didn't mention the Vega failures per se. I was jumping on the thread based off the discussion of what Adored TV said and the Humbug quote.

"I agree with AdoerdTV on Koduri completely, Under his premiership AMD's GPU's tried to do everything and because of that ended up doing nothing well and with high power consumption, exactly like the complaints Intel insiders now apparently have about their new GPU's, Intel's GPU's are Vega '''''before Lisa reformulated them for mobile and increased the gaming IPC by 50%.

And yes, Intel are arrogant and incompetent."

So those Vega failures.

Permabanned

Hi, I'd say in relation to gaming Vega which was a failure because of how it was handled from early development to it's release & beyond, Before release there was fake marketing, For the release reviews Mr Koduri pulled the wool over the eye's of Youtube reviewers so they did the reviews based on lower pricing rather than the real price, RTG gave innaccurate clock figures which was a recognised issue as after firing Mr Koduri Lisa Su quoted the Radeon VII clocks in the opposite way, For the Vega 64 Mr Koduri gave core & boost clocks that were unobtainable, Ms Su gave upto clocks that were easily hit. Polar opposites of each other. Vega was an okay card, nothing brilliant but it was okay & it wouldn't of been such a big failure if Mr Koduri hadn't oversold it causing people to expect more than they got. He did a lot of damage to AMD's consumer trust.

Soldato
Hi, I'd say in relation to gaming Vega which was a failure because of how it was handled from early development to it's release & beyond, Before release there was fake marketing, For the release reviews Mr Koduri pulled the wool over the eye's of Youtube reviewers so they did the reviews based on lower pricing rather than the real price, RTG gave innaccurate clock figures which was a recognised issue as after firing Mr Koduri Lisa Su quoted the Radeon VII clocks in the opposite way, For the Vega 64 Mr Koduri gave core & boost clocks that were unobtainable, Ms Su gave upto clocks that were easily hit. Polar opposites of each other. Vega was an okay card, nothing brilliant but it was okay & it wouldn't of been such a big failure if Mr Koduri hadn't oversold it causing people to expect more than they got. He did a lot of damage to AMD's consumer trust.

In relation to Koduri, yeah, completely agree. The guy is a tool.

Caporegime
OP

It was a compute monster, but for its size and 300 watts it should have been.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64/29.html

4096 Shaders and in gaming it was no faster than a much smaller 180 watt 2560 shader GTX 1080.

Vega was reformulated after Kudori left, in Renoir Mobile APU's its 59% faster per CU than how Kudori left it. 59% its like Ryzen 1000 vs Bulldozer.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/This-...-CU-despite-still-being-on-Vega.449849.0.html

Imaging how fast Vega 64 would have been if Lisa, not Kudori had been in charge.

PS: i can't find it now but there is an early benchmark of AMD's Renoir Mobile APU iGPU performance comparison to Intel's new iGPU and on the same TDP AMD's is faster. Significantly faster.

Caporegime
OP
It was a compute monster, but for its size and 300 watts it should have been.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64/29.html

4096 Shaders and in gaming it was no faster than a much smaller 180 watt 2560 shader GTX 1080.

Vega was reformulated after Kudori left, in Renoir Mobile APU's its 59% faster per CU than how Kudori left it. 59% its like Ryzen 1000 vs Bulldozer.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/This-...-CU-despite-still-being-on-Vega.449849.0.html

Imaging how fast Vega 64 would have been if Lisa, not Kudori had been in charge.

PS: i can't find it now but there is an early benchmark of AMD's Renoir Mobile APU iGPU performance comparison to Intel's new iGPU and on the same TDP AMD's is faster. Significantly faster.

BTW.

Navi 2560 Shaders @ 1.8Ghz vs 2560 shaders @ 1.9Ghz GTX 1080 vs 4096 Shaders @ 1.5Ghz Vega.

And AMD are just getting started with Navi.

YnlF2gD.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
That he is. :)

Based on the current Navi's & how they look compared to Vega things look promising. :)

The gaming IPC is about 25% higher than Pascal, equal to Turing.

Its a great start considering AMD like with CPU's came from nowhere, just goes to show what they are capable of when under the right management, i'll credit Dr Lisa Su with that.

Last edited:
Soldato

Ofc yes. Intel had nothing to beat the AMD mobile iGPU on 3000 series and completely gets trashed with the 4000 series iGPU.
The tweaking of the Vega iGPU is ridiculous, resulting to +53% perf uplift with the same 8CU Vega!!!!!!

This is Laura Smith (one of the Zen designers) work here, which Lisa made chief engineer and senior director of RTG at the end of 2018.
After the Navi not been ready for Q4 2018 release. And Laura brought with her several of the Zen designers to RTG.

I won't be surprised if the upcoming 7nm+ Vega based MI100 is the computing monstrocity rumoured. Hell if she pulls a 40% trick let alone another 53% trick from optimizing Vega GCN, we are well into RTX Titan terrirory. With GCN........ Let alone RDNA2.

Caporegime
OP
Ofc yes. Intel had nothing to beat the AMD mobile iGPU on 3000 series and completely gets trashed with the 4000 series iGPU.
The tweaking of the Vega iGPU is ridiculous, resulting to +53% perf uplift with the same 8CU Vega!!!!!!

This is Laura Smith (one of the Zen designers) work here, which Lisa made chief engineer and senior director of RTG at the end of 2018.
After the Navi not been ready for Q4 2018 release. And Laura brought with her several of the Zen designers to RTG.

I won't be surprised if the upcoming 7nm+ Vega based MI100 is the computing monstrocity rumoured. Hell if she pulls a 40% trick let alone another 53% trick from optimizing Vega GCN, we are well into RTX Titan terrirory. With GCN........ Let alone RDNA2.

Laura Smith, a name i need to remember, looks like she is Dr Lisa Su's Protégé.

Caporegime
OP
I'm at the point where i'm thinking about AMD GPU's again, i am torn between the RTX 2070 and 5700XT and given that they are roughly the same performance (I don't consider 3% faster, at all) but they are both still a bit too expensive, i'm in the market around April / May when i hope they will come down to about ~£300.

Which ever one reaches that ~£300 mark then is the one i'll buy.

Soldato
I'm at the point where i'm thinking about AMD GPU's again, i am torn between the RTX 2070 and 5700XT and given that they are roughly the same performance (I don't consider 3% faster, at all) but they are both still a bit too expensive, i'm in the market around April / May when i hope they will come down to about ~£300.

Which ever one reaches that ~£300 mark then is the one i'll buy.

5700XT is faster than the 2070 from 10 to 30% in games with latest drivers. If you mean 2070S, the reference is in par to the 2070S.

As for which one, XFX 5700XT Thicc III goes for £351 these days. Has the best cooler of them all except the Nitro. But the latter is 10% more expensive.

Have a look one of the most recent reviews using latest drivers on the reference model (the one that is hot and slower compared to AIB ones) go through all the games there.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_rx_5600_xt_red_dragon_review,13.html

(the review is for the 5600XT but latest drivers are used on all cards)

Back
Top Bottom