• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth waiting for the next gen cards

Soldato
Some people has advised me to wait, but is it still worth the wait for a £300-£400 card as Im guessing the cards will be higher priced when they are launched?

Associate
I would only wait if you know new cards are coming soon (within the next month) and you really need the performance. I still think new cards are 6 months away. I waited over a year for 2000 series cards on a 1070 and when they came out I bought eol 1080ti.

So much wasted time

Soldato
OP
Looking at your sig, your not a gamer so might as well wait as long as you can.

Im not a big gamer no, and the games that I play( most demanding games I have are doom 2016 and dirt rally) run smooth enough, so yeah I can wait. But saying the RTX 2070 looks a nice price at the moment.

Caporegime
I would only wait if you know new cards are coming soon (within the next month) and you really need the performance. I still think new cards are 6 months away. I waited over a year for 2000 series cards on a 1070 and when they came out I bought eol 1080ti.

So much wasted time

Thats because the 20 series was a poor card...overpriced RTX...the 30 series should be a proper RTX card.

Soldato
Why?
If I know Nvidia (...and I think I do). The 30 cards will be a small improvement, and a significant price hike. Unless pushed by a competitor Nvidia always give the absolute minimum and charge the absolute maximum.
Reading that makes me think of apple and all there iphones 4 vs 5 vs 6 vs 7 vs 8 all being almost the exactly the same and charging maximum prices for them
And people still bought millions of them :eek::(

Soldato
Some people has advised me to wait, but is it still worth the wait for a £300-£400 card as Im guessing the cards will be higher priced when they are launched?

You can always wait. Or you can spend your money having fun now. Given your price point I don't think it's worth you waiting. There are no launches expected in the next couple of months. The big one will be Nvidia's Ampere launch but that's 6 months or more off. And don't forget that card availability will initially be limited. I would not buy a 2080 Ti now, but anything else goes.

Soldato
OP
sounds like you don't need it at all? £300 is a big chunk to spend on something you're not all that interested in IMO :)

I would keep the card for longer but its getting hot for some reason and I have redone the paste but its not a lot difference. So thats the main reason for the new card.

Im also thinking that the longer I leave it for, the cheaper the cards will become, like the RTX2070 is a bit cheaper then a few months ago and it would be a nice performance boost and might last me another 5+years.

Reading that makes me think of apple and all there iphones 4 vs 5 vs 6 vs 7 vs 8 all being almost the exactly the same and charging maximum prices for them
And people still bought millions of them :eek::(

Yeah I dont see the point buying iphone after iphone if your basically getting the same thing each time

Last edited:
Associate
Why?
If I know Nvidia (...and I think I do). The 30 cards will be a small improvement, and a significant price hike. Unless pushed by a competitor Nvidia always give the absolute minimum and charge the absolute maximum.
Yeah my bet is 20% rasterization improvement and 50% RTX and 15% price 'upgrade' i.e. more expensive for each tier. Nvidia are a pile of stinking excrement and won't even try and be decent, they'll take the maximum they can.

Associate
You can always wait but whats the point its hardly a lot of money, i had a 980ti bought a 2070 super to replace it and happy with that big improvement and only £480 (at the time) which isn't a lot of money really. Prob won't replace it for a few years so its hardly breaking the bank.

Last edited:
Soldato

Depends the usage. If you play the same games as on consoles, you will be better off waiting the upcoming consoles.
Saying that because from your signature I assume you need something to last 5+ years and PC GPUs atm are very volatile. This year is the last year we see monolithic GPUs. Next year we going to see MCM GPUs, which would greatly improve performance while reducing prices.

And you shouldn't buy new GPU until both AMD and Nvidia release their new cards for this year. Which means you will be dragged to the second half of 2020 on waiting.

Otherwise get a 5700XT. For £390 you get the Nitro and for £350 the XFX Thicc III (make sure is the III with the improved cooler nor the II) which is a bargain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You can always wait but whats the point its hardly a lot of money, i had a 980ti bought a 2070 super to replace it and happy with that big improvement and only £480 (at the time) which isn't a lot of money really. Prob won't replace it for a few years so its hardly breaking the bank.

£500 is a lot for some...I have the funds for a 2080ti but I’m waiting...

I mean I could buy a 2070s but this would offer me little stimulation due to it only being 1080ti speeds....:p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
£500 is a lot for some...I have the funds for a 2080ti but I’m waiting...

I mean I could buy a 2070s but this would offer me little stimulation due to it only being 1080ti speeds....:p
I know what you will do. You will wait for the 2080Ti to go EOL and buy it then. EasyShafted. Lol :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom