• Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I doubt they do but they would have kept a record on what dev kits went where then it wouldn't be hard to track who had access to that unit.
Oh absolutely, if it's not an "authorised" leak then the person that's had their prototype snapped could be in trouble, but I doubt very much. Ultimately, we've already seen it, this isn't giving us a whole lot more than some connections.

Man of Honour
Hmmm. Interesting theory. But why put a slot for interchangeable cards in the back? Surely that would be better suited to the front of the console?

It's just a PCIe interface. It will be for adding storage via an external enclosure as the nvme ssd will be soldered to the board.

USB drives won't be fast enough to expand the storage if that internal drive is the minimum standards games are coded for.

Man of Honour
Thunderbolt 3 with a USB-C connector would surely be the more consumer friendly solution? Not as tidy I suppose but still fast enough.

AMD (the manufacturer of the CPU and GPU in the One Series X) don't support Thunderbolt, probably because it's an Intel controlled standard and those two don't play well together.

Soldato
I'm sceptical of the CFexpress rumour.

With current game install sizes, there's unlikely to be any demand for cards smaller than 500GB. A 512GB Cfexpress card costs just shy of £700 on the rainforest. A 500GB NVME costs ~£50. So unless CFexpress prices are expected to fall by around 90% over the next 12 months, I can't see why they wouldn't use NVME in a custom enclosure instead.

Soldato
I'm sceptical of the CFexpress rumour.

With current game install sizes, there's unlikely to be any demand for cards smaller than 500GB. A 512GB Cfexpress card costs just shy of £700 on the rainforest. A 500GB NVME costs ~£50. So unless CFexpress prices are expected to fall by around 90% over the next 12 months, I can't see why they wouldn't use NVME in a custom enclosure instead.

As far as I can tell, that’s exactly what CFExpress is - NVMe in a custom enclosure. There’s just no demand for it yet.

Man of Honour
i thought tb3 is royalty free now? Unless you meant from a technical perspective
Historically AMD have been against adding it for those reasons, and I believe that Intel still control the standard even though it's royalty free now due to poor uptake.

Last edited:
Soldato
Historically AMD have been against adding it for those reasons, and I believe that Intel still control the standard even though it's royalty free now due to poor uptake.

It might be telling what happens this year with Apple, pretty sure their laptops will move to AMD but they've always been a great proponent of Thunderbolt.

Back
Top Bottom