The Baja - Progress Thread

Soldato
OP
Baja-Internals.jpg

I suppose this is somewhat of an update. Engine died. I've stripped the engine entirely and found the problem. Oil starvation to the middle of the crank caused the central bearing to overheat and warp (bottom). Hopefully the crank itself looks ok, just need the motivation (and warm weather) to put it back together.

Will be putting it in a new case and replacing lots of bits while I'm at it.

Soldato
OP
After sitting on this for a few years - I thought for my 40th I'd get my Baja back up and running.

Everything had been sitting out in the garden / shed for quite a while (covered in oil) - so piecing everything back together was a bit of a challenge. However with the help of a few reference manuals, I managed to get everything together with new bearings.

2019%20Rebuild%201.jpg

While I was working on the engine / waiting for parts - I did a few jobs to the back end. New rear suspension and a new throttle cable.

2019%20Rebuild%202.jpg

With the engine finally back in one piece, a friend came round to help fit it back onto the gearbox.

2019%20Rebuild%203.jpg

Before spending any more money on new parts - I refit all the old anciliaries to test if I'd actually built a viable engine, or just a random pile of bolts.

2019%20Rebuild%204.jpg

Didn't work, however turned and seemed to breath correctly, so I replaced a number of parts and low and behold....

Soldato
OP
After a few months of happily driving round locally, I took it a step too far. Tried a motorway journey to get up to Bug Jam, but after 30 miles - died. I think an oil hose came loose - I lost oil pressure - and now the bearings are gone again. :o

2019%20Broken%20Down.jpg

Soldato
OP
After the failure to get to Bug Jam, I 'think' while I was driving the pipe on the external oil filter let go - which led to reduced oil pressure, and the main bearings going. So, #1 was to do away with that potential failure point.

Although I managed to replace them before, I'd rather just get it done by an expert, so I ordered a refurbished long block.

Fitted it last weekend - and it fired right up.

2020NewEngine1.jpg

2020NewEngine2.jpg

2020NewEngine3.jpg

2020NewEngine4.jpg

2020NewEngine5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom