New computer for the decade.

Associate
Hey peeps,

I’m treating myself to a new PC that I’d like to use for 1440p (possibly widescreen) gaming. About 10 years ago I built a pc with an AMD 1090t, 8gb of memory and a HD 6870 (later upgraded to a 470) and for the type of games I play/ed, it’s copped really well. I’ve got more free time on my hands now and I’d like to play a wider range of games so I’ve picked the below parts and if anyone wants to throw in their opinions as to whether there’s any changes to be made, that’d be cool beans. The only thing I can see being a potential problem is the thickness of the graphics card although I’m quite handy with a Dremel and I’ve got a laser cutter so I’m tempted to try some custom stuff in the case anyhoo.

Also if anyone could suggest a monitor that would pair well with this system, I’d appreciate that. Especially if you already own one :D

Thanks in advance.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,025.98 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Man of Honour
shift-x isn't a great case for AIO coolers, reason being that the radiator is below the pump
as the coolant evaporates, there'll be air in the loop and with the pump being higher than the radiator, the chances of an air lock is much greater = bye bye pump

also some of the parts chosen are poor value

Associate
The ROG Strix xg32vq looks like a pretty good option
32"
1440p
144hz
Freesync
That's £500

If ya want to look at something cheaper try the MSI Mag272QR which is available in a few days
Specs:
27"
1440p
165hz
1ms
Freesync
£278

Associate
OP
shift-x isn't a great case for AIO coolers, reason being that the radiator is below the pump
as the coolant evaporates, there'll be air in the loop and with the pump being higher than the radiator, the chances of an air lock is much greater = bye bye pump

also some of the parts chosen are poor value

Oh is that right? I’ve not seen anyone mention that potential problem when I’ve looked at reviews of the case (Or the smaller non X) I really like that case. It’s the one thing on the list I don’t want to change. I’ve got a Corsair AIO on my current PC which, like I said, has been going for the best part of the last decade and I’ve not experienced any issues (just jinxed myself didn’t I).

Any chance you want to elaborate on the poor value parts? Maybe why they are and alternatives?

Man of Honour
Oh is that right? I’ve not seen anyone mention that potential problem when I’ve looked at reviews of the case (Or the smaller non X) I really like that case.
that's because they only use the case for a few hours max. not months/years.

I’ve got a Corsair AIO on my current PC which, like I said, has been going for the best part of the last decade and I’ve not experienced any issues (just jinxed myself didn’t I).
and the radiator is above the pump?

Any chance you want to elaborate on the poor value parts? Maybe why they are and alternatives?
such as the aio - can get equivalent for cheaper
ssd - evo plus is a waste of money. sabrent rocket would be my recommendation (not sold at ocuk)
psu - don't really need platinum efficiency, the cost of it would negate any noney saved from leccy bills for the lifetime of the unit (although that being said the 700w on offer is a good deal)
gpu - overpriced...would much rather jump to a 2070s for that kinda money
kb mouse: can get a mechanical combo for 1/2 the price: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...e-keyboard-and-m65-elite-mouse-bu-02x-cs.html

Associate
OP
that's because they only use the case for a few hours max. not months/years.

Fair enough. I guess the many owners of this case with AIO’s can look forward to dealing with that right.

and the radiator is above the pump?

Honestly, I don’t remember. I’m not around to check but it’s in an 800D at the rear of the case so I’m picturing it pretty much inline with the pump, although I’m not sure what orientation the rad is in. So barbs might be at the top or bottom. Either way, it’s been running for 40k + hours in the same position since I bought it without issue. I’ll have to check when I’m home.

such as the aio - can get equivalent for cheaper
ssd - evo plus is a waste of money. sabrent rocket would be my recommendation (not sold at ocuk)
psu - don't really need platinum efficiency, the cost of it would negate any noney saved from leccy bills for the lifetime of the unit (although that being said the 700w on offer is a good deal)
gpu - overpriced...would much rather jump to a 2070s for that kinda money
kb mouse: can get a mechanical combo for 1/2 the price: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...e-keyboard-and-m65-elite-mouse-bu-02x-cs.html

Well the AIO seduced me with that fancy display. That and I thought the added fan within the pump unit could only be a good thing. I looked at that SSD and it does have good reviews. If I’m getting that Mobo, it would make sense to get a PCIe 4 card. The cooler for it looks massive and I don’t know if it’ll fit in either slot (GPU will probably impede the rear slot when the cooler is added).

With regards to the PSU’s efficiency rating, I calculated the savings using a platinum over Bronze to be about £2 a month. That’s 24 squid a year and if I end up keeping it for as long as my last PSU, that’s a saving of £240. Seems worth it in my books. Most of my electric comes from Solar anyway but there’s not a great deal of choice when it comes to SFF PSUs in the power bracket I’d like.

What 2070s would you go for? The cheapest full size card (I’m thinking about decent cooling) That I know will fit that case is £50 more than that Sapphire. Am I going to see that £50 of performance or will those few FPS not really make a difference in actual gaming over just benching? (I’m going off a few reviews I’ve looked at this evening)

I like the Roccat stuff. The prefs I’ve bought from them before have lasted well.

Thanks for the input so far.

Man of Honour
Fair enough. I guess the many owners of this case with AIO’s can look forward to dealing with that right.
Honestly, I don’t remember. I’m not around to check but it’s in an 800D at the rear of the case so I’m picturing it pretty much inline with the pump, although I’m not sure what orientation the rad is in. So barbs might be at the top or bottom. Either way, it’s been running for 40k + hours in the same position since I bought it without issue. I’ll have to check when I’m home.
Basically you'll need to have some part of the radiator be higher than the pump to act as a reservoir for the air that will eventually form within the circuit. Air in the pump = grinding noise at best, and at worst - pump failure.

and I thought the added fan within the pump unit could only be a good thing.
Lol nah.

. If I’m getting that Mobo, it would make sense to get a PCIe 4 card.
Lol nah. No single gpu solution maxes out pcie3 x16. So pcie4 is pointless. The only thing that currently does are SLi titan V.

I calculated the savings using a platinum over Bronze to be about £2 a month.
Now calculate gold to platinum

What 2070s would you go for? The cheapest full size card (I’m thinking about decent cooling) That I know will fit that case is £50 more than that Sapphire.

The MSI ventus is a dual slot card

Am I going to see that £50 of performance or will those few FPS not really make a difference in actual gaming over just benching? (I’m going off a few reviews I’ve looked at this evening)
You're paying not to have driver issues. Difference of £50 and I'd rather spend that on an Nvidia card. £100 and then it's a bit harder to justify - given that the 2070s is still a few % faster than the 5700xt

Associate
OP
Lol nah. No single gpu solution maxes out pcie3 x16. So pcie4 is pointless. The only thing that currently does are SLi titan V.

We were talking about M.2 not gpu :p

Now calculate gold to platinum

It’ll be as negligible as the price between units of similar power (providing available stock, I don’t really want to split my shopping)

The MSI ventus is a dual slot card
which is the one I’m referring to.

You're paying not to have driver issues. Difference of £50 and I'd rather spend that on an Nvidia card. £100 and then it's a bit harder to justify - given that the 2070s is still a few % faster than the 5700xt

Something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom