• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth waiting for the next gen cards

Associate
£500 is a lot for some...I have the funds for a 2080ti but I’m waiting...

I mean I could buy a 2070s but this would offer me little stimulation due to it only being 1080ti speeds....:p

Yeah but that only works out to 40 quid a month and that's hardly a lot if you keep it for 2 years that's around what a contract for a phone is these days and i don't have that so i am saving there ha!

Mine is above 1080ti speeds but it is a good ocer for a founders card and massive improvement on my x34 on my 980ti.

Soldato
No, don't bother waiting for new GPUs, wait a little longer and buy a PS5 instead :D

Honestly, at this point Nvidia don't deserve anybody's money....!

Soldato
Some people has advised me to wait, but is it still worth the wait for a £300-£400 card as Im guessing the cards will be higher priced when they are launched?

If you don't game too much consider buying a 1660 Super now for around £230. It will be way faster than your 290 while been a lot quieter and using less power.

Either keep it for a couple of years, or sell it when the next generation GPUs come out and upgrade to one of those.

Caporegime
Yeah but that only works out to 40 quid a month
Eh? £480 isn't anything a month, it's £480 up front. It's only xx a month if you buy it from somewhere crazy like Littlewoods, where £480 turns into £40 a month for six or seven years...

It's also a bit crass that you'd describe £500 as "not a lot of money" to spend on a single component. Doesn't make people feel very good when they're earning min wage.

Soldato
The age age old question, when to upgrade. Depends on your needs, what's available and the risks you are willing to take if going second hand. If what you have plays your games fine no need to buy. Like new toys, go for something like what's been suggested in the 250/350 range and sell your old card.

Associate
Unless you're waiting for something specific, and know its release date, I think it's rearely worth waiting. You can always wait and it's true that a year down the line you'll probably get something better for the money, but then you've been waiting for another year.

IMHO if you need an upgrade and have the budget, grab a new card. With your budget that's a 5700XT or a 2070 (non-supers can be had in the middle of your price range, 2070 Super is over 400 everywhere I can see). Very comparable cards at very comparable prices. Either of those will be a massive improvement over your current r9 290.

Associate
In the sub £500 bracket there are plenty of options now but if you want performance that is above that (especially if you have a 4k monitor) then you are forced to wait for any kind of sensible option. The current offerings simply give too little performance whilst asking too much £££

Associate
My card is not up to the task really but still using it and just about getting away with it on the games I play. Waiting to see what AMD does this year GPU wise, as team green is just too pricey. £250 £350 region for myself

Soldato
My card is not up to the task really but still using it and just about getting away with it on the games I play. Waiting to see what AMD does this year GPU wise, as team green is just too pricey. £250 £350 region for myself

You can get a 5700Xt for that price and that seems to be doing very well. Certainly a lot faster than your current card.

It’s either buy something now if you need the extra speed, or wait for next gen which will likely be several months away until both release and decent stock levels, custom cards etc. All depends on what you want, how long you are willing to wait etc.

Associate
Eh? £480 isn't anything a month, it's £480 up front. It's only xx a month if you buy it from somewhere crazy like Littlewoods, where £480 turns into £40 a month for six or seven years...

It's also a bit crass that you'd describe £500 as "not a lot of money" to spend on a single component. Doesn't make people feel very good when they're earning min wage.

No but if you keep it for 2 years it works out as that over that course of ownership it isn't a lot of money, if you cannot afford it due to minimum wage or so on then save and if people can't do that then just dont buy it.

Sick of people moaning about oh its so much than it used to be well no **** a bar of choc is now over a quid in some shops when it used to be 25p for the same thing Luxurys go up in price.

My matrox m3d my first 3d card was £200 quid back then 20+ years ago and i had to save to get it , i had to when i was on min wage back when i was 18-20 it still isn't a lot of money just like a holiday you have to save for it then buy, this lasts a lot longer than 2 weeks in the sun just depends what you want.

Soldato
For your price range you'd may as well bite now. The 5700xt is apparently great.

If the last release is anything to go by, we will probably just be paying the same £ for the same performance.

Associate
Is the rtx2070 worth going for over the 5700xt, as its about £20-£30 difference?

Oh boy, you're gonna get rabid AMD fans telling you one thing, and nvidia fans telling you another...

They appear from a few comparison sights to be pretty much equivalent cards. The RTX 2070 will give you some amount of ray-tracing ability that's not present in the 5700XT, and the 2070 will give you g-sync. The 5700XT will probably give you better freesync compatibility. Either one is going to be a really good boost compared to the current card you have, around 100% boost AFAICT.

Soldato
Is the rtx2070 worth going for over the 5700xt, as its about £20-£30 difference?

They are both very much on par with each other performance wise. So the choice is yours.

Depends on the model in question. For a decent well reviewed model, with decent cooler you are talking a very similar price point.

And again as above the RTX card has some extra features. But it will be limited considering Raytracing performance in general.

Back
Top Bottom