My specs: what component can I upgrade to make Tarkov playable?

Associate
I’m looking to upgrade some components in my Desktop PC so it can handle the graphics work load of ‘Escape from Tarkov’. I suspect I might need to upgrade my graphics card and possibly my RAM type but I’m not sure.

I would appreciate any advice on:

1. What component or components should I upgrade?

2. What should I upgrade to considering the rest of my PC specs may become a bottleneck if I get too recent a new component? In other words, if you suggest a component to upgrade, can you recommend what version of that particular component also.

I prefer to play Tarkov at my monitor’s native resolution of 2560 x 1440 (I’ve tried 1080p and it’s horrible). I did turn all other graphics setting to the lowest possible but even with this, I am getting such a low framerate that aiming is almost impossible as the smallest mouse movement shunts my aim too many pixels past my target.

I don’t need to get blistering fast components, just enough more power to be able to play Tarkov and to give a few more years to my 4 year old PC.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I’ll list my specs in detail and also my PassMark and Geekbench scores.

GAME: Escape from Tarkov - (currently suffering very low frame rate on minimal graphics settings apart from resolution which is native monitor res of 2560 x 1440)

COMPUTER SPECS: ACPI x64-based PC (PassMark rating 4,192)

MOTHERBOARD: Asus maximus 6 Impact

CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4770S 3.10GHz, 4 cores, 8 Logical Processors (PassMark score = 9,358)

RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz 2 channels (Kingston KHX1600C10D3/8GX)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 4GB Ram (PassMark average score = 5,362)

HD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB

MONITOR: DELL U2713HM 2560 x 1440 (I run two side by side but only use one for the game.

PASSMARK OVERALL PC RATING: 4,192 (79Tth Percentile Rating)

- CPU MARK: 9,632 (76th Percentile Rating)

- 2D GRAPHICS MARK: 633 (58th Percentile Rating)

-3D GRAPHICS MARK: 5,629 (75th Percentile Rating)

- MEMORY MARK: 2,358 (75th Percentile Rating)

- DISK MARK: 4,880 (88th Percentile Rating)

GEEKBENCH 5.1.0

- GEEKBENCH OpenCL Score 15,621

Last edited:
Associate
you'll have to remove the competitor link from your post, and while that's a decent price for a 1650, a 1650 super is a fair bit better performance for not much more money

Associate
OP
I've been running the Escape from Tarkov at 1920 x 1200 and I get a pretty good frame rate now. But I get some kind of visible refresh line flickering on the screen a lot of the time. You can see it on the attached screen shot at the bottom of the screen in the attached pic.

The card I'm looking at is is the Asus Phoenix GeForce GTX 1660 Super OC edition 6GB (it says GDDR6 but I think it's a typo and it means GDDR5) PH-GTX1660S-O6G
It's £218 here on Overclockers so that's about $282.
Do you reckon that's the best card for that price?
I looked at some benchmark scores for the GTX 1660 Super and they were pretty good and almost double my current card but it's always hard to know if the branded versions have the same specs.

Soldato
I've been running the Escape from Tarkov at 1920 x 1200 and I get a pretty good frame rate now. But I get some kind of visible refresh line flickering on the screen a lot of the time. You can see it on the attached screen shot at the bottom of the screen in the attached pic.

The card I'm looking at is is the Asus Phoenix GeForce GTX 1660 Super OC edition 6GB (it says GDDR6 but I think it's a typo and it means GDDR5) PH-GTX1660S-O6G
It's £218 here on Overclockers so that's about $282.
Do you reckon that's the best card for that price?
I looked at some benchmark scores for the GTX 1660 Super and they were pretty good and almost double my current card but it's always hard to know if the branded versions have the same specs.
They do come with GDDR6 its not a typo. Your probably not going to get a much better card for that price unless you can pick up a gtx1070ti 1080 or rtx 2060 on the used market.

Back
Top Bottom