Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
Hey Hornetstinger, you speak a lot of common sense.
If you bury your head in the sand over OLED screenburn you know what happens!:o

Yup it may be alight but I would not risk it. What if I play ff, or gran turismo, or Witcher and screenburn occurs, you have no chance of replacement.

It's like redlining your car, even though manual tells you not to do this, when the engine blows up you think you get a new engine? They'll point to the disclaimer saying you were warned.

Screenburn is not covered by warranty.

Samsung qtv have five year guarantee against screen burn.

Funny how plasma and oled do not.

Soldato
Becaus I use it for movies only as I did the plasma.

Consoles suck, and my gaming pc is upstairs plus gaming on sofa sucks, got to use keyboard and mouse, upright chair position. Use 27 inch 1440 144hz monitor

Fair enough I’m a sofa gamer and I think consoles are great some stunning looking games on latest machines especially on oled screen with HDR .... lol...

Each to their own really.

Soldato
Thanks Moogleys, my son is a solicitor and his wife is a trading standards officer.
I will ask them what my chances are.
I don't expect any action from LG but can't help thinking it isn't Currys fault!

There was a case a couple of years back that was all over the Sky TV forums. Someone's TV had burn in, and LG wouldn't do anything. He went back to the retailer (John Lewis) claiming unfit for purpose, and John Lewis said "not covered in the warranty". The owner took it to small claims, and John Lewis lost and replaced the TV. I think the judge basically said the warnings in the manual not to watch TV for more than 30 minutes were not a reasonable thing for a TV to fail at.

Man of Honour
I've had two two LG OLED TV's since 2014 and I've never had an issue. I watch the news, I game, I watch sports etc. It sounds like a defect with the panel so it's pretty poor form of LG to not seem to want to help.

Soldato
Exactly All reds, pinks and yellows just show as green, is not screen burn, rather panel or electronic defect Curry's will cover,
emailing them a picture should be worth a 1000 words.

Soldato
There was a case a couple of years back that was all over the Sky TV forums. Someone's TV had burn in, and LG wouldn't do anything. He went back to the retailer (John Lewis) claiming unfit for purpose, and John Lewis said "not covered in the warranty". The owner took it to small claims, and John Lewis lost and replaced the TV. I think the judge basically said the warnings in the manual not to watch TV for more than 30 minutes were not a reasonable thing for a TV to fail at.

It’s definitely worth chasing up with Citizens advice if the retailer is no help. Tbh the more that do it the more likely it will be automatically covered without all the agro. It’s a tv it should be fit for purpose and putting limits on its use due to a possible problem is not acceptable.

Soldato
My dads B7 has a green band along the bottom. John Lewis sent an engineer who advised it was a set fault and should be repaired or replaced. John Lewis said they are not fixing it and it’s my dads fault.

This was last week.

Soldato
My dads B7 has a green band along the bottom. John Lewis sent an engineer who advised it was a set fault and should be repaired or replaced. John Lewis said they are not fixing it and it’s my dads fault.

This was last week.

That’s pretty stupid to send an engineer and then ignore what they say what was the point ? Does your dad have a report from the engineer ?

Soldato
That’s pretty stupid to send an engineer and then ignore what they say what was the point ? Does your dad have a report from the engineer ?

I will find out. The TV isn’t that old, under two years. The engineer came out and did the usual tests. My dad does watch a lot of BBC News, Sky News and Sky Sports footy. The green band is near the bottom where the ticker bars are. I will get a pic.

Soldato
Screen burn is not covered in the warranty.
The set is 3 years old in April.
So basically any kind of free repair would depend on the good will of LG UK.
My experience of the aforementioned indicates this ain't going to happen.
I just posted on here to alert people to the facts.

I'm interested to know what you picture settings are for standard picture mode?, I have a B6 and have not had a problem with burn in, thats not to say I wouldn't suffer from it, but I game a lot on it and have watched lots of stuff with static images on screen, I have hardly ever watch any news channels with the news ticker at the bottom though.

Associate
I have a 55" C6 3D set.
If a solid colour is on screen I can see both sky and bbc news ticker tapes and the clocks.
I watch sky news for approx 30 mins morning and evening. Basically on my way out and returning from work.
I refuse to not watch the news channels and unfortunately they all seem to now have ticker tapes and clocks with a glaring red background.
I have had to resort to zooming in when watching news channels which hides the ticker tapes.
Then Sky seems to at will double the height of the ticker tape as if it is determined to get me really annoyed!
Unfortunately the damage is now done

Seriously annoyed though.

Soldato

This was last week.

John Lewis have the worst customser servce. They fix things if its black and white. Otherwise they are terrrible. I've seen them actually refuse to even send an engineer out.

Soldato
I had a 55"C6 for about 2 years and it got serious screen burn in from watching sky news and bbc news over that period of owning it.
I gave the TV to my dad and now it has the good morning britain logo permanently burned in also.

Now i have a Panasonic 65" GZ 950 and i don't watch the news programs on it at all.

Soldato
Someone just joins a predominantly computer-based forum to just bad mouth OLED TVs bet his IP comes from Samsungs marketing dept :p

Ton of them on r/oled too, make a single account just to post "enjoy oled burn in" and then runs away

I have a 55" C6 3D set.
If a solid colour is on screen I can see both sky and bbc news ticker tapes and the clocks.
I watch sky news for approx 30 mins morning and evening. Basically on my way out and returning from work.
I refuse to not watch the news channels and unfortunately they all seem to now have ticker tapes and clocks with a glaring red background.
I have had to resort to zooming in when watching news channels which hides the ticker tapes.
Then Sky seems to at will double the height of the ticker tape as if it is determined to get me really annoyed!
Unfortunately the damage is now done

Seriously annoyed though.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone wants to watch so much news. Secondly, if you are going to spend so much time on news, why get an OLED. An OLED is the pinnacle of image quality, you should be feeding it 4k Dolby Vision movies and games, not crappy 720p lowbitrate sdr CNN/BBC channel... what a waste of money, could have just gotten a $500 Samsung to watch the news.

edit: Oh just re-read your post. You're saying 1 hour a day has caused burn in? Brightness too high maybe? 1 hour a day, burn in should not be visible for 5 years minimum according to Rtings long term burn in tests. Something doesn't quite add up, maybe you're not letting it refresh, or using too high brightness or actually watching news much longer than that or otherwise just had badluck of the silicon lottery and got a dud.

Last edited:
Soldato
You simply cant watch news channels with any banners on OLED TVs or over time this always happens and many reports of much earlier than 5 years with light use as well. The technology just isnt suited to that use case.

Soldato
You simply cant watch news channels with any banners on OLED TVs or over time this always happens and many reports of much earlier than 5 years with light use as well. The technology just isnt suited to that use case.

it's not the amount of years I was just equating it to his time. It takes about 2000 hours of watching cnn in reasonable brightness to get bad burn in

Soldato
It just seems off that 'that use case' is a fairly common thing to do. To say you can't watch news channels/Dave/whatever you want after you've spent £2k on a TV seems insane to me.

Back
Top Bottom