How much house can you get?

Soldato
Can't you find a job in your sector somewhere else? As you are renting it is a lot easier to up sticks and move.

It's a great idea in theory, given we both work for employers that have work places all around the country, but I can't see us moving from the Southampton area until we retire. All my better half's family live around here and I don't see her willing to live hundreds of miles away from her parents and siblings. Not to mention we are both very introverted and would struggle mentally to start up afresh right now, plus I've got a load of "tropical fish" and tanks that would be an absolute nightmare to move multi-hours away from here!

Hopefully we will find something affordable and tolerable down here to get on the ladder and then see what happens over the next ~20-25 years before we retire, I'd love to find somewhere rural that isn't plagued by lots of rain, the weather was one of the things that kept me down here after uni in the early 90s, but life things happened and getting on the housing ladder was impossible until very recently.

Soldato
i think the fear of change keeps most people near where they were born quite sad really ,we hung on in west yorkshire as our daughters were at great schools ,when they headed off to uni they both said they wouldnt live in west yorkshire again .
we just powered on with being mortgage free ,sold ,moved into my then partners brothers house with the proceeds in the bank ,then went on long houe hunting trips in devon anf cornwall ,sleeping in the car to saxe money.
i can be up to Yorkshire in 6 hours and half a tank of diesel to see family and my mum and dad love coning down on holidays.
saturday was a typical day (i work part time) wake up ,lots of coffee and laptop ,head down to the best place to surf ,that was Towan Newquay ,get dry park at Crantock ,walk to polly joke ,collect sea glass ,home bottle of wine and kindle.
all im saying is if we only live once ,in the vastness of time and space ,moving where you actually want to be is a little thing

Associate
In Edinburgh you can get this for £235k. A 2 bedroom flat above a shop, in need of major modernisation.

images

images

images

Soldato
We're looking to move from a 220k house 3 bed into a 4 or 5 bed house in a couple of years.

Unfortunately the prices we are seeing are in excess of 450k.

We have 200k cash and our house to sell... So if required would get away with a small mortgage... But I'd really not want a mortgage at all. Never had one, never want one. Hate owing money.

Associate
Looks expensive. is it a 5 bed?
Whats the asking price?
I just converted the pounds price in post 1 to euros so around €278k. Not sure how many bedrooms there were. I just tried to look for it again but it seems to be gone so it must have been a good price for this area.

Back
Top Bottom