Car written off, spec me a replacement!

Soldato
Someone decided to redecorate the back of our Ford Focus on the M1 this morning:
IMG-8340.jpg

The vehicle is yet to be assessed but I'm confident it'll be a write-off :p! We spent £450 only 5 days ago getting the MOT, Full service (inc brake fluid and aux belt) and front tyres replaced :rolleyes:. Either way, it can be replaced and all parties involved are ok. We have a fairly limited budget for the replacement, preferably under £4,000 with the following criteria:
  • Focus or bigger in size. The dog needs to be able to get in and out easily.
  • Reliable
  • Good spec (Leather interior, Heated seats, cruise, climate control, comfortable ride)
  • Diesel
  • Prefer auto, but not vital. Not sure how reliable they'll be with our budget.
We're after a diesel as the annual mileage will be around 20,000, most of which will be motorway. I'm thinking a MK4 Mondeo Titanium X fits the bill:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001136105567

Anything to be aware of with this model?

Last edited:
Don
You've linked to a petrol Mondeo. The non-Ecoboost 2.0 drinks fuel like a fish, it's economy is absolutely dire (I owned a Mondeo identical to that one). With 20k annual miles, definitely look a diesel instead of a petrol.

Soldato
OP
You've linked to a petrol Mondeo. The non-Ecoboost 2.0 drinks fuel like a fish, it's economy is absolutely dire (I owned a Mondeo identical to that one). With 20k annual miles, definitely look a diesel instead of a petrol.

My mistake, I'm looking only for diesels. Maybe: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001136105567

Is there anything to be aware of with diesel models, especially those with 'power shift' autos? I'm guessing most will be due DPF and/or DMF replacements with the age and mileage most in budget are reaching.

Does anyone have access to market values for vehicles? I have an idea what our Focus should be worth but want to be prepared.

Soldato
OP
Skoda Superb Elegance estate has everything you ask, Octavia VRS has most of them too? https://www.dalestreetmotors.co.uk/...t_medium=mobile-web&at_campaign=website-visit

good shout, although what year VAG diesels were subject to dieselgate?

Aren't diesels currently the fount of all evil? And aren't they getting banned from many city centres?

yep, but we have another petrol car and the replacement vehicle will be used as a motorway commuter which suits diesel better.

Soldato
With 20k annual miles, definitely look a diesel instead of a petrol.

Depends on the car and the maths, surely? Just looking at the Ford Focus 2018 on model, for example, and using Honest John Real MPG figures:

2.0 TDCI 150 - 50mpg
1.5 EcoBoost 150 - 43.6mpg

Petrol is 120.9 and diesel is 124.9 at the end of our road today. Over 20,000 miles that gives:

Diesel £2,271.23 (£43.67 per week)
Petrol £2,521.20 (£48.48 per week)

That's a difference of a fiver a week, not accounting for the lack of DPF/EGR/DMF/injector/turbo stuff to gum up and go wrong. I know what I'd be looking to buy. If a fiver a week was that big a deal plenty of other petrol cars/engines will do over 50mpg on the motorway including the Octavia 1.5 TSI 140ps (or whatever the latest exact number is). In other words, for 20k I wouldn't be rushing to diesel 'because MPGz'.

Back
Top Bottom