TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
Try to read the small words in addition to the large words.

you said

There's also those convinced that they don't own a TV and so don't need to contribute, even though they watch YouTube streams on a regular basis.

So again, why does someone need a TV licence if they only watch Youtube streams? They don't. (unless a BBC live stream that is also being broadcasted on TV, as someone else mentioned)

Soldato
you said

So again, why does someone need a TV licence if they only watch Youtube streams? They don't. (unless a BBC live stream that is also being broadcasted on TV, as someone else mentioned)

Because it's not restricted to a BBC live stream, it's any live stream that's being shown on TV so example being Sky News, BBC news, sports events etc. (Champion's League from BT Sport recently).

^^ He is grabbing at "Strings"... :D

Yes, great patter you've got there.

Associate
Because it's not restricted to a BBC live stream, it's any live stream that's being shown on TV so example being Sky News, BBC news, sports events etc. (Champion's League from BT Sport recently).

But you originally said 'YouTube streams' not 'live stream that's being shown on TV'. what you said first just isn't correct. If you are watching your favourite steamer play Fortnite on youtube, you are fine.

Soldato
How live is youtube though? I assume it's being buffered for a length of time :)

Never heard of anyone actually getting done for using youtube to watch TV without a licence, or any other website. Probably because it isn't enforceable.

Associate
How live is youtube though? I assume it's being buffered for a length of time :)

Never heard of anyone actually getting done for using youtube to watch TV without a licence, or any other website. Probably because it isn't enforceable.

You're still getting the live 'signal' though, even if there are some delays. People tried in the past to put their live TV on a delay thinking they beat the system. Even live TV has a short delay

Soldato
But you aren't receiving a live signal, youtube are. Then they stream it from their own servers.

The rules don't factor in a 3rd party being in the middle. They only say "as it's being broadcast", but you aren't really receiving it as it's being broadcast.

Last edited:
Soldato
But you originally said 'YouTube streams' not 'live stream that's being shown on TV'. what you said first just isn't correct. If you are watching your favourite steamer play Fortnite on youtube, you are fine.

If I'd known the pedants would pick it up, I'd have added the word "live". But we got there in the end, didn't we.

The point stands that the assumption is it's BBC TV only, which you incorrectly assumed yourself. ;)

Associate
The point stands that the assumption is it's BBC TV only, which you incorrectly assumed yourself. ;)

I was just saying what someone else here said (spreading false info), I didnt have a clue that you needed a TV licence for Sky live streams (and others) on Youtube, as I never watch them so never needed to know.

Soldato
But you aren't receiving a live signal, youtube are. Then they stream it from their own servers.

The rules don't factor in a 3rd party being in the middle. They only say "as it's being broadcast", but you aren't really receiving it as it's being broadcast.

(2) In this regulation, any reference to receiving a television programme service includes a reference to receiving by any means any programme included in that service, where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service.

I know from your previous contributions in the thread that you feel anything more than a few seconds falls outside of 'virtually the same time' but i'm not sure TVL or a court would necessarily agree with you if you were trying to argue that in court as your sole defense for not having a licence.

Soldato
By, either, youtube or iplayer, the IP address of the client is known, unless you are able to use a VPN too,
so, must be a lot easier to track than freeview reception - what is the % of prosecutions for iplayer use ?

Civil prosecutions, with just (as commented) 'balance of probabilities' needed for guilt, can be much more of a revenue earner,
sounds like it will become like private car parking offences.

Back
Top Bottom