• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Moar cores baby! :p

Wanted something bigger, don't really need it TBH but this PC will have to last me a while so doing it now while I can, though the 3600X is a beautiful chip, very fast & snappy :)
Ah fair enough. I would have waited for the 4000 series and do it then later this year, but nothing stopping you doing it then also I guess :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Have you tried to run your RAM at 3800Mhz on your 3600?
Nope. Kind of had enough messing about with RAM now that I have stability and good performance. My thought is, eventually I may stick a 4000 series CPU in at which point I will need to re-do all the ram stuff, so no point spending ages trying to eek out every single bit of performance. Also usually I like to find number 11 and then dial back down to 10 to make sure everything is running smoothly without being pushed to the bleeding edge or causing stability issues. Like right now I could be running my CPU at 4.5GHz all core, but it just ain’t worth the extra voltage. Plus I am not sure there would be much of a gain going to 3800MHz.

Associate
Nope. Kind of had enough messing about with RAM now that I have stability and good performance. My thought is, eventually I may stick a 4000 series CPU in at which point I will need to re-do all the ram stuff, so no point spending ages trying to eek out every single bit of performance. Also usually I like to find number 11 and then dial back down to 10 to make sure everything is running smoothly without being pushed to the bleeding edge or causing stability issues. Like right now I could be running my CPU at 4.5GHz all core, but it just ain’t worth the extra voltage. Plus I am not sure there would be much of a gain going to 3800MHz.

I throw some Patriot 4400Mhz RAM in mine the other day, set it to 3800Mhz at 16-16-16-32 and its solid. I have not tried anything different, I need to play around with timings to lower them to see how low it would go.

Just wanted to check if there was a reason for not going to 3800Mhz over 3733Mhz just in case I am doing something wrong lol.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I throw some Patriot 4400Mhz RAM in mine the other day, set it to 3800Mhz at 16-16-16-32 and its solid. I have not tried anything different, I need to play around with timings to lower them to see how low it would go.

Just wanted to check if there was a reason for not going to 3800Mhz over 3733Mhz just in case I am doing something wrong lol.
Nah. If it is working then you are all good ;)

Caporegime
Ah fair enough. I would have waited for the 4000 series and do it then later this year, but nothing stopping you doing it then also I guess :D
Still my plan, but realistically we're 12 months + from:
1. 4000 series release
2. "new release prices" not being in effect

Possibly 18 months for something like the 4600 to hit, say, £150.

Worth the wait? Probably. Although info really is thin on the ground so far.

Associate

Tbh the odd £100 loss here and there over the a few years is nothing really if you want to upgrade. I does baffle me sometimes when people on AM4 platform talk about holding out for next gen products for the sake of saving say £100 over a year or 2. Its not like we are talking £300+ every year to upgrade, we have the beauty of the AM4 platform.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Tbh the odd £100 loss here and there over the a few years is nothing really if you want to upgrade. I does baffle me sometimes when people on AM4 platform talk about holding out for next gen products for the sake of saving say £100 over a year or 2. Its not like we are talking £300+ every year to upgrade, we have the beauty of the AM4 platform.
It's baffling because you are looking at it purely from your point of view. Everyone is different with different needs and preferences ;)

Associate
It's baffling because you are looking at it purely from your point of view. Everyone is different with different needs and preferences ;)

I appreciate everyone has a different point of view but we are talking about 4-5 take away's over the course of a year or two, maybe 2 or 3 take away's for a family of 4. Its not breaking the bank money we are speaking about for a CPU swap.

If it was Intel based platforms then that's different due to needing a new MB etc.

Soldato
Circumstances change. Originally I was a single man, lived at home and could afford to upgrade all the time. Then you get a partner, get a house - upgrades might be every other year or less frequent. Now I have three youngsters, built my own house and if im lucky its every five years or more. :)

That's my situation except replace the kids with guinea pigs. I used to upgrade every year or two. Now I've had my 6700k computer for over two years and I'll probably won't have any money to upgrade anything in it for another 2 at least.

Caporegime
I appreciate everyone has a different point of view but we are talking about 4-5 take away's over the course of a year or two, maybe 2 or 3 take away's for a family of 4. Its not breaking the bank money we are speaking about for a CPU swap.

If it was Intel based platforms then that's different due to needing a new MB etc.
Your local Chinese may have seen you coming ;) Hah. I have Chinese take-away maybe 3 times a year, and it costs about £10 a pop. Just how many prawn crackers are you ordering? :p

Well let's see now... using the cheapest CPU we've been talking about ... £160/5 ... at the very least you're spending £32 a pop on Chinese? Or if we take something like a 3700X that's now £60 a pop on Chinese...

Clearly you're in the money!

Associate
Your local Chinese may have seen you coming ;) Hah. I have Chinese take-away maybe 3 times a year, and it costs about £10 a pop. Just how many prawn crackers are you ordering? :p

Well let's see now... using the cheapest CPU we've been talking about ... £160/5 ... at the very least you're spending £32 a pop on Chinese? Or if we take something like a 3700X that's now £60 a pop on Chinese...

Clearly you're in the money!

Where I live a take away easily hits £40-50 for a family of 4. I was talking about the difference in selling say a 3600x and buying a 3700x with the money then the take aways to make up the difference.

What I am saying is the Ryzen CPUs are so cheap that an upgrade to a few extra cores is not very much at all as you would just be swapping out the CPU on the AM4 platform.

Associate
I need some assistance before I try any of the following. I've dipped my hat into RAM overclocking but when it comes to CPU I am lost.

I have a 3600 with an Asus b450-F board (latest 3003 BIOS). I have 3600Mhz RAM running 1:1 Fabric but I refuse to go higher due to inexperience in testing the FCLK stability. The game I play (Overwatch) is apparentyly really single core heavy and I think this CPU is bottle necking me a little when it comes to keeping higher frame rates in big battles. All I have done so far is go to the BIOS, selected "Load Optimized Defaults" then set the DOCP for my RAM. I then enabled "Allow CPU States" for idle power saving under CPU Common Options.

From what I know the chip is rated stock of 3.6Ghz but can clock to 4Ghz (as I have observed when gaming). Reading more, apparently there is some special 4.2Ghz clock that can happen?

Basically I'm looking for a super safe way to unlock this 4.2Ghz for an hour or so to see if this extra boost will fix my frame rate problems, if it doesn't I'll go back to stock stuff as I am now. I should note I'm on the stock cooler but when gaming I don't go above 55c. I'm hoping being in Scotland can offset not having a better cooler if I do go for this boost :p

Associate
I need some assistance before I try any of the following. I've dipped my hat into RAM overclocking but when it comes to CPU I am lost.

I have a 3600 with an Asus b450-F board (latest 3003 BIOS). I have 3600Mhz RAM running 1:1 Fabric but I refuse to go higher due to inexperience in testing the FCLK stability. The game I play (Overwatch) is apparentyly really single core heavy and I think this CPU is bottle necking me a little when it comes to keeping higher frame rates in big battles. All I have done so far is go to the BIOS, selected "Load Optimized Defaults" then set the DOCP for my RAM. I then enabled "Allow CPU States" for idle power saving under CPU Common Options.

From what I know the chip is rated stock of 3.6Ghz but can clock to 4Ghz (as I have observed when gaming). Reading more, apparently there is some special 4.2Ghz clock that can happen?

Basically I'm looking for a super safe way to unlock this 4.2Ghz for an hour or so to see if this extra boost will fix my frame rate problems, if it doesn't I'll go back to stock stuff as I am now. I should note I'm on the stock cooler but when gaming I don't go above 55c. I'm hoping being in Scotland can offset not having a better cooler if I do go for this boost :p

What gpu are you using? Cos even an R7 1700 with a 1080 Ti can get 200+ fps in Overwatch at 1080P Epic settings. Have you observed your usages for cpu and gpu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL4WrSQVsCw&t=69s

Also, your cpu should be boosting to 4.2GHz in one or two cores gaming. Especially in single core heavy games.

Associate
What gpu are you using? Cos even an R7 1700 with a 1080 Ti can get 200+ fps in Overwatch at 1080P Epic settings. Have you observed your usages for cpu and gpu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL4WrSQVsCw&t=69s

Also, your cpu should be boosting to 4.2GHz in one or two cores gaming. Especially in single core heavy games.
Yeah your cpu is not bottlenecking the game. The best way to not get throttle of the cpu is to keep it cool. Anyway, record your usage using some software like afterburner I would be surprised if many cores are near maxed at all.

2060 Super. I know this is first world problems but 200fps is not good enough in regards to future proofing for my scenario. My future plan is either a 1080p 240Hz panel or a 2k 165Hz one.

I average about 275fps at 1080p but it will dip to like 220 in very extreme teamfights so I want to atleast always secure 240 (or even 235 to ensure G-Sync works correctly). I can sustain over 200fps even at 2k resolution so the 2k 165Hz route is ticked off. I don't think my FCLK can go much higher than 1800 so the only logical step appears to be squeezing out this extra 200Mhz boost on the CPU to see if that can gain me the 20 or so extra fps to keep me over 240. I know that sounds silly but Overwatch just really is hungry for single core clock speed and this 200Mhz might make the difference.

I've ran Afterburner and my CPU clock speed is always 4000Mhz never more.

Back
Top Bottom