Car choice help! 8k budget

Associate
Hi all,

Need some help choosing a new car.

Firstly the car I'm getting rid of a 59 plate Mini Cooper S. Nice car and all but I've recently moved house so need something better than 35 mpg :(.

Do about 50 miles commute everyday also need something bigger 2 kids so 4 / 5 door is a must! Putting a car seat in the back of a 3 door is doing my back in! Haha

I've been looking at Mondeos, Insignias and Skoda Octavia / Superb, Mazda 6 is there anything else I should be looking at?

Also not sure on if I should go for Diesel or Petrol?

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Superb. Comfy for your commute, lots of space in the back for the kids, big boot for stuff.
Usually come with decent spec as well.

Soldato
Oh nice, I have a feeling tax / insurance might be high though? ☹️

Tax is reasonable, if it's the 161BHP version it's £125 for the year, although I'd try and find the 197BHP model which is only a touch more at £160. I doubt insurance would be much different to your Mini. Easy enough to get some quotes online for comaparison.

Associate
OP
Tax is reasonable, if it's the 161BHP version it's £125 for the year, although I'd try and find the 197BHP model which is only a touch more at £160. I doubt insurance would be much different to your Mini. Easy enough to get some quotes online for comaparison.

Yep mini is £140 per year (I think) pay it monthly so not 100%.

Think mini is insurance group 29 as well!

Soldato
Yep mini is £140 per year (I think) pay it monthly so not 100%.

Think mini is insurance group 29 as well!

The Jags are lovely cars, however when comparing my mk2 Superb to my Dads Jag XF the difference in size is phenomenal. If you want lots of space avoid the Jag because it's positively pokey! That includes both the rear passenger & boot space.

Soldato
Do really like Superbs. Which engine have you got? :)

I have the 170BHP diesel, the same engine that was used in lots of VAG cars - Golf GTD, Octavia VRS, various Audi's etc etc. I get around 50mpg on my fairly sedate 11 mile run into work which is a 50-50 split of A roads and motorway driving. For your budget you could get a higher mileage mk3 or a decent lowish mileage facelift mk2.

Associate
OP
I have the 170BHP diesel, the same engine that was used in lots of VAG cars - Golf GTD, Octavia VRS, various Audi's etc etc. I get around 50mpg on my fairly sedate 11 mile run into work which is a 50-50 split of A roads and motorway driving. For your budget you could get a higher mileage mk3 or a decent lowish mileage facelift mk2.

Nice does yours come in the cheaper tax bracket? My journey sounds similar to yours bit of motorway / dual track and A roads (although a few more miles each way).

Back
Top Bottom