Philips Momentum - 43" 4K HDR

Soldato
Hey Bemaniac - that was me asking in trust. Thanks for the detailed info. Sounds like what Im looking for.

Oh!! Man, I am so sorry, you sent a trust to me too, but, I completely forgot about it until now. I couldn't help you anyway, as I still haven't made up my mind to purchase or not :p

Associate
Hi I'm interested in this monitor to replace a 4 year old Philips 40 in 4k display. It's main use would be for work (coding mainly), pc and console gaming (ps4 pro). Having read some reviews that state it has problems showing text clearly - I currently sit about 33 inches or so from my existing monitor - can those who own this monitor say if this is a major issue or not? My eyesight is not the best so I don't tend to notice minor imperfections. Also I have read some owners on other boards saying that the hdr is broken through hdmi and only works properly through dp. Has anyone tested this using a console? The power consumption also seems pretty high - over 100w according to some reviews - is this for general usage or just for hdr? Finally the Philips website shows that they have released a newer revision of this monitor which has 2 hdmi ports. Has anyone got this revision from a UK retailer? I would prefer to get this version if it's available in the UK at a similar price.

Soldato
Hi I'm interested in this monitor to replace a 4 year old Philips 40 in 4k display. It's main use would be for work (coding mainly), pc and console gaming (ps4 pro). Having read some reviews that state it has problems showing text clearly - I currently sit about 33 inches or so from my existing monitor - can those who own this monitor say if this is a major issue or not? My eyesight is not the best so I don't tend to notice minor imperfections. Also I have read some owners on other boards saying that the hdr is broken through hdmi and only works properly through dp. Has anyone tested this using a console? The power consumption also seems pretty high - over 100w according to some reviews - is this for general usage or just for hdr? Finally the Philips website shows that they have released a newer revision of this monitor which has 2 hdmi ports. Has anyone got this revision from a UK retailer? I would prefer to get this version if it's available in the UK at a similar price.

I'd stay clear... for gaming it's OK, so for console you'll be fine with it, but if you have the intention to use this for anything text/productivity related it's really quite horrible. Very obvious grid visible on all content and the vignetting is some of the worst I've ever seen on a monitor. You'd have to have appalling vision not to have a problem with this screen.

Associate
I'd stay clear... for gaming it's OK, so for console you'll be fine with it, but if you have the intention to use this for anything text/productivity related it's really quite horrible. Very obvious grid visible on all content and the vignetting is some of the worst I've ever seen on a monitor. You'd have to have appalling vision not to have a problem with this screen.

Thanks for your response. That's a shame I would prefer to have a single monitor for gaming and productivity which supports hdr and doesn't cost a fortune but there's not much out there in that size which ticks all boxes. Maybe I should look at 4k tvs instead or get a smaller monitor for gaming and keep my existing one along side it.

Associate
After looking at a number of different options I decided to buy this monitor with a view to returning it if it wasn't good enough. It arrived today and initially I was ready to send it back without opening the box because I was expecting the newer /01 model with 2 hdmi ports and according to the label on the box it was the older /00 model. When I opened the box to my surprise it had two hdmi ports so either Philips have updated the original model or stuck the wrong label on the monitor I bought. Date of manufacture was Sep 2019.

I had the original Philips 40in 4k model and the 43 looks a lot bigger at least height wise, probably due to the stand being taller. I think this is due to the connection ports being at the bottom rather than the side. Speaking of which it was a real pain attaching cables to the ports - had to lie the monitor on its back and even then struggled to fit the cables in.

Initial impressions are very good. Very bright and sharp screen - I've turned the brightness down to 30 and even then it's still quite bright. Text looks very sharp, colours are very rich. There is some screen uniformity issues at the sides where it's slightly darker but only noticeable on a white background and even then you have to turn your head to see it. Viewing angles are fine from where I'm sitting almost 3ft away from it. I tried it on both Linux - my main OS - and Windows 10 and both look good. I think it looks better in a darker room as you'd expect from a VA panel. Darker backgrounds also look better - mainly because it's so bright! The OCUK forums look really nice and sharp on it. I also tried Android Studio which looks great in Darcula (the default Dark mode).

PS4 Pro looks excellent the HDR is very good. Tried out God of War, Uncharted Lost Legacy and Darksiders 3 - all look great. Also tried Dark Souls 2 on the PC (Linux Steam via Proton) which looked really good - much brighter and deeper colours than my old Philips. The sound also is great through the speakers and very loud playing games.

It comes with a handy remote which is pretty lag free to use as long as you point it at the bottom right of the screen.

So overall I'm very happy with it - I may have gotten lucky with the panel but maybe Philips sorted out most of the initial reported issues and it's now worth a punt on. I think it's a pretty good product for the price with some minor issues but so far I haven't seen any major problems which would make me want to return it. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Associate
After looking at a number of different options I decided to buy this monitor with a view to returning it if it wasn't good enough. It arrived today and initially I was ready to send it back without opening the box because I was expecting the newer /01 model with 2 hdmi ports and according to the label on the box it was the older /00 model. When I opened the box to my surprise it had two hdmi ports so either Philips have updated the original model or stuck the wrong label on the monitor I bought. Date of manufacture was Sep 2019.

I had the original Philips 40in 4k model and the 43 looks a lot bigger at least height wise, probably due to the stand being taller. I think this is due to the connection ports being at the bottom rather than the side. Speaking of which it was a real pain attaching cables to the ports - had to lie the monitor on its back and even then struggled to fit the cables in.

Initial impressions are very good. Very bright and sharp screen - I've turned the brightness down to 30 and even then it's still quite bright. Text looks very sharp, colours are very rich. There is some screen uniformity issues at the sides where it's slightly darker but only noticeable on a white background and even then you have to turn your head to see it. Viewing angles are fine from where I'm sitting almost 3ft away from it. I tried it on both Linux - my main OS - and Windows 10 and both look good. I think it looks better in a darker room as you'd expect from a VA panel. Darker backgrounds also look better - mainly because it's so bright! The OCUK forums look really nice and sharp on it. I also tried Android Studio which looks great in Darcula (the default Dark mode).

PS4 Pro looks excellent the HDR is very good. Tried out God of War, Uncharted Lost Legacy and Darksiders 3 - all look great. Also tried Dark Souls 2 on the PC (Linux Steam via Proton) which looked really good - much brighter and deeper colours than my old Philips. The sound also is great through the speakers and very loud playing games.

It comes with a handy remote which is pretty lag free to use as long as you point it at the bottom right of the screen.

So overall I'm very happy with it - I may have gotten lucky with the panel but maybe Philips sorted out most of the initial reported issues and it's now worth a punt on. I think it's a pretty good product for the price with some minor issues but so far I haven't seen any major problems which would make me want to return it. Fingers crossed it stays that way!
Thats good feedback and great you got the version you wanted. How is the text especially if you go closer? My distance is around 50cm I think so possibly half yours

Associate
Thats good feedback and great you got the version you wanted. How is the text especially if you go closer? My distance is around 50cm I think so possibly half yours

Just tried it with a tape measure to my eyes at 50cm and it looks a bit worse without my reading glasses on but with them on it looks fine very sharp and clear - I'm almost 49 and getting a bit more long sighted so it's harder to read stuff closer to my eyes without reading glasses. I would sit further back due to the size of the screen - would be a lot harder seeing the edges of the screen and the brightness is really something especially in a darker room. At around 3ft or so away it's so clear and sharp I've turned the scaling down on Chrome to 100% from 125% as standard with a few sites set to 110 to 125%. I can even make out text without squinting at 50% but realistically 80% is about the lowest I would go. Standard desktop scaling is set to 100% on Linux. It takes a bit of getting used to but now after looking at it for half a day or so I wouldn't go back to my old monitor. The brightness, colours and sharpness on the new one just blows the old one away!

Associate
I just jumped on a 34inch ultrawide non curved going from a 24inch 16:10 monitor and i am trying to get used to it. I almost bought the Philips but was worried it would be too big for my desk and distance i sit at.

But on the other hand playing in 4k (my tv in the other room) looks a lot better than the UW and hence why this wont be here for long..

Enjoy your monitor and thank you for the reply!

Associate
I just jumped on a 34inch ultrawide non curved going from a 24inch 16:10 monitor and i am trying to get used to it. I almost bought the Philips but was worried it would be too big for my desk and distance i sit at.

But on the other hand playing in 4k (my tv in the other room) looks a lot better than the UW and hence why this wont be here for long..

Enjoy your monitor and thank you for the reply!

Thanks you're welcome. I think maybe a 32in 4k screen may be better for you? I was looking at some of these and would have bought one as a 2nd monitor and kept using my old 40 inch if this new one hadn't worked out. My old 40 inch was fine but didn't have any hdmi 2 ports or a remote which made switching inputs and changing other settings a pain.

Back
Top Bottom