• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel about to expand into Graphics, AMD on the rise, are the tables turning on nVidia?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm at the point where i'm thinking about AMD GPU's again, i am torn between the RTX 2070 and 5700XT and given that they are roughly the same performance (I don't consider 3% faster, at all) but they are both still a bit too expensive, i'm in the market around April / May when i hope they will come down to about ~£300.

Which ever one reaches that ~£300 mark then is the one i'll buy.
Why not wait for next gen cards?

Soldato
I don't disagree, but this could still represent progress for Intel in the GPU space.

A presence is a start.

Only if it's a good presence, or is going to lead to one. Otherwise you risk tainting the brand and having management decide they won't enter that market. To enter such an incredibly expensive market to develop, even the likes of Intel needs to have good products that they can sell.

We've seen the likes of Microsoft and Google enter markets with good products, not be able to gain traction, and then give up. Intel isn't going to get anywhere if they don't even have a good product in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only if it's a good presence, or is going to lead to one. Otherwise you risk tainting the brand and having management decide they won't enter that market. To enter such an incredibly expensive market to develop, even the likes of Intel needs to have good products that they can sell.

We've the likes of Microsoft and Google enter markets with good products, not be able to gain traction, and then give up. Intel isn't going to get anywhere if they don't even have a good product in the first place.

Doesn't stop AMD from trying. :D

Soldato
Doesn't stop AMD from trying. :D

And look how long it's taken them to change their perception in the market! It relied on both AMD building a better product and Intel screwing the pooch, but that's only on the CPU side. AMD will have to pull the same trick on GPUs because they are still (unjustly) considered an also-ran.

Permabanned
5700XT is faster than the 2070 from 10 to 30% in games with latest drivers. If you mean 2070S, the reference is in par to the 2070S.

As for which one, XFX 5700XT Thicc III goes for £351 these days. Has the best cooler of them all except the Nitro. But the latter is 10% more expensive.

Have a look one of the most recent reviews using latest drivers on the reference model (the one that is hot and slower compared to AIB ones) go through all the games there.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_rx_5600_xt_red_dragon_review,13.html

(the review is for the 5600XT but latest drivers are used on all cards)

The 5700XT is looking very competitive considering it's really the new 680 ie the 580 replacement, It looks to like AMD is now out of the danger zone it's been in for the last 6 or more years, I wish I'd bought shares. :D

Permabanned
It's quite scary to think what AMD's product stack would've been had they not run into issues with Navi and cancelled the big cards. Beating the RTX 2070 at the RX 580 price point? 56 and 64 CU models taking on the RTX 2080 Ti?

The potential was there, The next range should certainly surpass Turing the question is by how much & at what price? That's where they might screw the pooch.

Associate
I wondered what had happened to intel. Weren't they supposed to be starting to release discrete GPUs to the consumer market by now, and heating up some real competition to AMD/Nvidia?

Guess not :D

Back
Top Bottom