Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Who owns the petrol station? I use my Starling card all the time on ASDA pay at pumps.

It's an actual Asda. It's an unmanned so they claimed it is dealt with differently and it would just throw up an error on the App telling me to pay at the kiosk that doesn't exist. Apart from that I was actually happy with Starling.

Man of Honour
I've recently opened a Monzo account. I really like the instant payment notifications and that it's reflected on the balance straight away. I'll still use First Direct as my main account and I'll use Monzo as my slush fund and as a savings account for going on holiday abroad. Large purchases will still be on my Amex though for the Avios points.

Man of Honour
Chaps, my mrs is flight crew and receives money onto a travel card in whatever currency the country has where she's visiting. Crew don't always spend all of this this allowance and transfer whatever is left it back to their UK account but this normally comes with high fees. Until recently, they've all been using Revolut but it seems like Revolut have cottoned on and they've stopped accepting their travel card to deposit money with. Are there any alternates? I've looked at Monzo and Starling but it doesn't appear that you can pay into these accounts from a card like you can with Revolut.

Soldato
They have but Starling are doing different rates based on a scoring system they will not divulge.

The exact same that all banks are, it's based on your credit score and risk profile. It's the same when applying for a loan, they may give you the advertised rate, but it may be higher. They won't tell you why that is as it's confidential.

Soldato
The exact same that all banks are, it's based on your credit score and risk profile. It's the same when applying for a loan, they may give you the advertised rate, but it may be higher. They won't tell you why that is as it's confidential.

Which other high street bank has different overdraft rates for a different set of customers?

It's a cop out it's not confidential, these fintech banks have come on the scene all happy faced claiming to be clear and open and they do this.

Soldato
Is the overdraft rate that you'll pay clearly presented to you? If so, then what's the problem.

The problem is they are hiding behind an algorithm for what rate you get. It would be much better for them to either have the one clear rate for all or show why you actually are on the rate they have given you.

I forsee the majority of their customers will get banged onto the highest rate with no explanation other than computer says so meanwhile they will be advertising as "we have rates much lower than your high street bank" but with very few people being given access to that rate.

I'm not bothered what the rate is, it's the fact they are not being clear and open about it.

Soldato
But there are standards about advertising rates, specifically use of the lowest rate.

But you're not bothered about what rate you could pay, even though they tell you, but instead you're angry at not understanding how they're calculating rates of others, within a range, in a practice that is well established through credit risk and applied through similar methods of debt such as personal loans and credit cards.

I think you were right in the first place, it is probably a silly reason to leave :)

Caporegime
Anyone having an issue with revolut card top-ups?

I've always used my Santander card to add money to the Revolut account, but today it asked me to open the Santander app to verify everything.

So I did and everything was authorised on the Santander side, but when I go back to the revolut app on the phone it's saying top up failed?

I tried it twice

Soldato
But there are standards about advertising rates, specifically use of the lowest rate.

But you're not bothered about what rate you could pay, even though they tell you, but instead you're angry at not understanding how they're calculating rates of others, within a range, in a practice that is well established through credit risk and applied through similar methods of debt such as personal loans and credit cards.

I think you were right in the first place, it is probably a silly reason to leave :)

I'm not angry about it at all, I just think it's a shady tactic by a company that is surposed to be differentiating itself from the old high street bank.

Soldato
I'm not angry about it at all, I just think it's a shady tactic by a company that is surposed to be differentiating itself from the old high street bank.
This is a myth you have told yourself just because they have better app support.
Thats it really, its a bank that has a better app. They are still out to make as much money as possible.

Man of Honour
Anyone having an issue with revolut card top-ups?

I've always used my Santander card to add money to the Revolut account, but today it asked me to open the Santander app to verify everything.

So I did and everything was authorised on the Santander side, but when I go back to the revolut app on the phone it's saying top up failed?

I tried it twice
This is exactly the issue my mrs has been having for a few weeks.

Soldato
Which other high street bank has different overdraft rates for a different set of customers?

It's a cop out it's not confidential, these fintech banks have come on the scene all happy faced claiming to be clear and open and they do this.

Lloyds Bank, Halifax, Bank of Scotland and TSB are doing exactly that.
Source:
https://moneyfacts.co.uk/news/banking/lloyds-and-tsb-announce-overdraft-changes/
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...bank-of-scotland-to-charge-up-to-49-9--inter/

It's not a cop-out, they're not going to divulge their risk algorithms are they? Do you kick off when you don't get the advertised APR when applying for a bank loan for the same reason? They are, after all, extending you credit. It's their prerogative at what rate they choose to extend this at.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is exactly the issue my mrs has been having for a few weeks.

I’ve been having similar issues. They’ve said it’s something to do with how Revolut has been classified. It used to be a financial institution and so banks would allow top up/cash transfer however this has now been changed to something else and banks now won’t allow it. Not sure what the fix is other then transferring via the IBAN but that takes a few days.

Back
Top Bottom