10 Downing Street "Senior communications aide" attempts to ban Journalists

Soldato
Can't call a spade a spade as it were.

Is this too edgy for today even as humour?
If so I'm sorry and delete/ issue ban.

It's not edgy or humorous, not because it's offensive but because it makes no sense in the context of the conversation.

Unless you're saying British can't be black? or black people can't be British?

What's this spade you speak of?

Permabanned
Yes, who would they be looking for? John Steed in a bowler hat? Roger Moore in The Spy Who Loved Me? :p

And just as a reminder, this all kicked off because someone doesn't like looking at "black people" on the BBC website because that's not "what Brits look like".

You are lying no one said that, What i said waa they over represent them by using them in a lot of images on articles. What is the beef? I live in NI so the news should be relevant to the whole UK but guess what?

We are 99% White, So why use a classroom image where it is two white kids, Two black and one Indian? I look the website everyday and i see it with my own eyes.

Soldato
You are lying no one said that, What i said waa they over represent them by using them in a lot of images on articles. What is the beef? I live in NI so the news should be relevant to the whole UK but guess what?

We are 99% White, So why use a classroom image where it is two white kids, Two black and one Indian? I look the website everyday and i see it with my own eyes.

You were quoted, therefore people can read what you said.

Could you please post examples of what you are seeing every day; these examples of BBC bias.

Soldato
I don't really watch adverts on TV because I stream everything, but I had to watch Channel 4 adverts the other day as I was watching the Channel 4 catchup service. It did strike me that every single advert without fail had a black person in it, like seriously there wasn't one advert that lacked someone who wasn't white, normally they had a mix. The UK is basically 95% white outside of London, yet you'd think it was 50/50 or something.

Permabanned
You were quoted, therefore people can read what you said.

Could you please post examples of what you are seeing every day; these examples of BBC bias.

I am not trawling the website for links i have better things to do. I See it on a weekly basis at least though anything School or NHS is badly skewed the fact they use Getty which is based on the Murica populations says it all.

Those images reflect a large African American population and they use it on the BBC and also the poster above me seems to also notice they do the same on TV. Either Britain has a lot more non White people than we are being told about or they over represent them.

Soldato
Soldato
I am not trawling the website for links i have better things to do. I See it on a weekly basis at least though anything School or NHS is badly skewed the fact they use Getty which is based on the Murica populations says it all.

Those images reflect a large African American population and they use it on the BBC and also the poster above me seems to also notice they do the same on TV. Either Britain has a lot more non White people than we are being told about or they over represent them.

What exactly do you believe the negative impact of over-representation of minorities in advertising to be? Genuine questions, I can point to a raft of negative impacts relating to under representation but I can't really think of a negative to over representation, especially when it's done in an inclusive way i.e. not totally excluding white people.

In addition to that if you have a picture including say 5 people, you have 2 options, round down the proportion of races included in the image based on actual demography, i.e. only include white people as 20% + 20% + 20% + 20% + 19% of the population are white. Or round up in some way to incorporate the top x number of races regardless of demographic percentage. One of those is reflective but isolating, the other is inaccurate (assuming that these things need to be 100% representative based on demography, which they don't) but inclusive.

Caporegime
"Cant call a spade a spade" means people are salty they are not allowed to be a bit racist anymore.

Nah he was making a joke... "call a spade a spade" is or rather was an innocent phrase that dates back centuries and simply refers to speaking frankly.

Though when "spade" also then becomes a slang/potentially derogatory term for a black person then...

Permabanned
Hilarious. It's that prevalent you can't find any examples, and that was some backtrack on frequency. :p

Stop trying so hard to be smart, It makes you look sad and desperate there is nothing today that over represented but i am sure this week there will be. So i will write it down as a reminder saying as it is so important i prove myself to the mighty String and OCUK community.

Why not call me a liar? Not quite your style is it? But you are calling me a liar the truth is i am not going to be baited to waste my time and unless there was someting there today i could easily link, Which there is not. So there you go i stated what i felt i saw and that is it if you think i am a liar then well all i can say is go insert your head where the sun never shines.

Permabanned
What exactly do you believe the negative impact of over-representation of minorities in advertising to be? Genuine questions, I can point to a raft of negative impacts relating to under representation but I can't really think of a negative to over representation, especially when it's done in an inclusive way i.e. not totally excluding white people.

In addition to that if you have a picture including say 5 people, you have 2 options, round down the proportion of races included in the image based on actual demography, i.e. only include white people as 20% + 20% + 20% + 20% + 19% of the population are white. Or round up in some way to incorporate the top x number of races regardless of demographic percentage. One of those is reflective but isolating, the other is inaccurate (assuming that these things need to be 100% representative based on demography, which they don't) but inclusive.

Also this is so dumb, I refuse to answer and damage brain cells. What you proved by this post is you can sound and look intelligent, But still be stupid.

Soldato
What should really strike you, is why that struck you.

The contrast struck me compared to when I used to watch TV, there's been quite an obvious shift in corporate culture where it is now unacceptable to create a commercial that doesn't include people of every race and gender, even if that's not at all realistic or representative of what most of us see on a daily basis. It's not even that it makes them look good for doing so, it's that they're scared of looking bad for not doing it. It basically just feels like propaganda and totally fake. Contrast that with, for example, the black bald guy called Howard that used to do those Halifax adverts, that didn't feel fake at all, it felt like they cast the best person for the job.

Soldato
Also this is so dumb, I refuse to answer and damage brain cells. What you proved by this post is you can sound and look intelligent, But still be stupid.

Wow, so hostile, I'm not attacking you I'm genuinely trying to work out why you're so annoyed that public sector organisations are including minorities in their documentation as standard. What exactly is it about my post that so offends you?

Back
Top Bottom