Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That's the exact kit I bought, the Das6 Pro is the perfect starter to intermediate level machine. If you're doing the whole car you'll need a couple of extra pads. Ideally you need four or so of each type to do a car in one go. If you're only going to be doing a panel or two a day then you can get away with one.

Soldato
That's the exact kit I bought, the Das6 Pro is the perfect starter to intermediate level machine. If you're doing the whole car you'll need a couple of extra pads. Ideally you need four or so of each type to do a car in one go. If you're only going to be doing a panel or two a day then you can get away with one.

Thanks, It would just be a panel or a small area, I have a few very fine scratches that I hope to remove or at least lessen. That above link it also comes with a finishing polish after using the cutting compound, is it necessary to use a wax after using both the compound and polish?

Associate
I wasn't aware that you needed numerous pads to do a single car, surely if you're not letting the pad dry out and want to use the same cut for each panel you don't need to be using multiple pads for one car? i suppose if it's a big one it would be useful but not a necessity.

Soldato
I wasn't aware that you needed numerous pads to do a single car, surely if you're not letting the pad dry out and want to use the same cut for each panel you don't need to be using multiple pads for one car? i suppose if it's a big one it would be useful but not a necessity.

It's the heat that's an issue. As the pad gets hotter it's less effective, cuts less and takes longer to polish. If a pad gets too hot it can also deform, as well as separate from the velcro backing. The other problem with only using one pad is it's going to get incredibly caked in residue, further reducing its effectiveness.

Thats fine then, I guess the wax is to act as a seal after doing the work, I think if I only do small areas on the car it might be a good idea to get some car masking tape so I know what area to work within.

Yes, the wax is there to protect the paint after polishing. Nothing wrong with using tape.

Associate
It's the heat that's an issue. As the pad gets hotter it's less effective, cuts less and takes longer to polish. If a pad gets too hot it can also deform, as well as separate from the velcro backing. The other problem with only using one pad is it's going to get incredibly caked in residue, further reducing its effectiveness.

Ah i get you, that makes sense, I do own a DA but am yet to use it! I wasnt aware that heat build up was an issue requiring mitigation since you're not supposed to exert much pressure on the polisher, but I can definitely understand the buildup of crud, i'll buy a couple of each pad in that case!

Soldato
Yes, the wax is there to protect the paint after polishing. Nothing wrong with using tape.

I might actually try that ceramic coating stuff instead of wax, heard it lasts a lot longer.

i dont see many people using there Wipers/screen wash in this season, is there a product that i can apply to the windscreen to help the crap not stick to the windscreen?

im constantly using mine

I haven't got any on my current car windscreen but did use something called G-Techniq on my previous car, think it was G techniq G1 smart glass I used. Might be something better now.

Associate
I’ve been using G-Techniq G1 glass ceramic sealant and I think it’s great. After 8months I need to reapply it to my windscreen but the rest of the glass still beads superbly. I’ve bought some to reapply this weekend, along with Gyeon cancoat. Quite a simple to apply ceramic coating that should last 6+ months.

Associate
This is better value

However, I bought this kit the first time. I think from memory it comes with a couple of applicator pads, I may be wrong, but they're less than a £1, so it's worth buying a few anyway.

Make sure to follow the instructions for the front screen, it's different from the rest of the glass. 15ml was enough for my whole car.

Soldato
Any tips for a newly painted car? My track car is having a full respray inside and out but how long should I wait before either trying a DA myself or taking it to a detailer? Was also thinking about having it ceramic coated as it worked well on my last car.

Any suggestions for wheels with a polished lip too? Brand new so I going to wipe them down with IPA and then use Gtechniq or CarPro wheel sealant.

Caporegime
After months of just a quick snowfoam and pressure wash I'm going to do a bit more of a clean tomorrow. Have pretty much given up in this weather.

i haven't cleaned my car in like 5 months. far too cold. was minus again this morning. frost on the windscreen and side windows.

i think i'll start again in march and last until around September.

there is no way i'd be washing in the current weather absolutely baltic outside.

Associate
49501778803_21558fc578_k.jpg

looking forward to tomorrow

Soldato
Any tips for a newly painted car? My track car is having a full respray inside and out but how long should I wait before either trying a DA myself or taking it to a detailer? Was also thinking about having it ceramic coated as it worked well on my last car.

Any suggestions for wheels with a polished lip too? Brand new so I going to wipe them down with IPA and then use Gtechniq or CarPro wheel sealant.

Ask your painter. He'll know what paint he used, under what conditions, and how long it was baked for. We know none of that so can't answer the question.

Polished lip will need regular polishing, grab yourself a good metal polish and 0000 grade wire wool for tougher stains that normal microfibres won't remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom