RIP Kirk Douglas

Soldato
Remember watching this when I was a kid, loved this movie.

Heroes of Telemark is another good movie I liked of his. The same company that was producing heavy water for the Nazis Nuclear weapons program in WW2 is still around to day, infact they have a factory that produces fertilisers just a few miles down the road from me on the Humber bank. Uncles worked there their entire lives before retirement. Fisons > Norsk Hydro (Hydro Fertilisers) > Yara as its called today, I used to go on outings across the UK with them as a kid, all expenses paid.

Norwegian heavy water sabotage

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess its the Internet era these days that when I first heard about this the person telling me thought it was a hoax. Then I had to go searching around and saw it on Michael Douglas's Insta account.

Living to 103 is probably longer than most of us will live.

He had a good life, contributed in a positive way to the world. RIP.

Soldato
Hollywood is absolutely debauched. If half of the insider gossip and rumours are to believed, it's a nest of the most awful people ever. Anyone you ever liked or respected is basically an utter deviant. Rock bands, actors, tv stars etc - they're all utterly a-moral.

Obviously the majority of these stories are never proven, but even if just a slice of them were true it would be enough for me to think we should just string the lot up. 14 year old girls and boys in particular would be saved!

Associate
I remember visiting my grandparents, we would sit and watch a true classic (Spartacus, Ben Hur, Grand Prix etc).

I'll never forget Spartacus and watching a flame wheel roll over stunt actors... I was mortified as a nipper. I felt sorry for the Romans.

Douglas is a name synonymous with Hollywood and a true legend; like Cagney, Lancaster etc.

Ace in the Hole is a great film and an unnerving prediction of the future. I can imagine it was a career gamble at the time as its very edgy.

Back
Top Bottom