Green corner rot on LG 32UD99 4K IPS monitor

Soldato
A few months back I noticed a slight green tint in one of the corners of my LG 32UD99-W under certain conditions. Since then this has gradually grown in size and vibrancy and has now spread to all four corners and along the bottom edge.

After Googling the issue I discovered many other reports of the same on monitors that are around 2-years old (mostly in the customer reviews of a major online retailer). It seems that once the fault appears it only gets worse over time, eventually encroaching well into the panel. I searched the forum here but didn't find any similar reports.

For some people the green rot has appeared shortly after their warranty has expired and they are rightly very unhappy. This was not a cheap monitor as it was targeted at the "pro" market. I still have a couple of months of warranty remaining and so I am hoping LG will come good. I opened a support case a week ago and I am still waiting to hear back from them. The receipt said I would receive a response in 24 hours...

Soldato
If you paid by credit card, be prepared to get your CC company involved. They will have to kick the retailer who, in turn, will have to kick LG but I can assure you that, from being on the retailer end of it, it's a severe PITA so things tend to happen as a result.

Soldato
Used to be
Under sale of goods act
Though it's now consumer rights act
Or something ~so you will have to see if its still the same if you bought it after 2015
Sale of goods act said regardless of warranty
It had to last "a reasonable time"
No definition of reasonable time though expensive item 5 or 6 years was usually about it
I stood in tescos with a friends faulty tv
To be told its out of warranty
I wouldn't budge
Demanded the manager
He told me the same
I demanded he phone head office
They agreed with me
She got new TV there and then
And got to keep old one which worked except had to manually turn it on
After that remote worked fine

Soldato
OP
Still no response to my support ticket. Web chat seems to be permanently unavailable 'due to technical reasons'. No response to my Twitter DM to the LG UK Customer Care account.

Do we still have an LG rep in this forum?

Soldato
They responded to my support call after a second Twitter DM. Now they want me to jump through hoops by testing with different sources/cables. :rolleyes:
Pretty much par for the course
Same as when phone up
About broadband issues
To be fair to them they are probably
Following a yes/no flow
Chart
As a lot of the time customers have
No technical knowledge and
It's down to user error
It's annoying though when you
Totally know its hardware fault but
Have to jump through hoops
Regardless
Main thing is got an answer
And hopefully get it sorted now

Soldato
OP
New one has been pretty awol so far, a shame really as Daniel used to be pretty decent. Let's see if @Alice Gibbs gives you some help with this (don't hold thy breath, ex-Acer rep).
That's a shame. I exchanged posts with Daniel when I was originally considering this monitor.

I've jumped through the hoops and repeated all the information I provided in my original email and already exists in my registration profile. Let's see what happens next...

Soldato
OP
Just received my monitor back and thankfully they made a decent job of the the repair and fitted a new panel. :)
It took 48 days beginning to end. :(

Last edited:
Associate
I have the same issue with my LG 27UD58P-B 27" 4K-IPS monitor. What can I do? I purchased the monitor 12/11/2018. The monitor started showing the green corners about one and a half months ago. The warranty is up. Do I have any recourse?

Caporegime
If the warranty is up then probably not, but you could try contacting them anyway because it is unacceptable for such a high end product. Judging by the OP's experience WITHIN warranty though, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Not sure if trading standards would be able to help?

Soldato
Thanks. I tried contacting LG via their community forums, but no reply. Even sent one to the moderator, no reply. Its been 3 weeks now.

Have you called them? Try 03448475454. I've had issues with an LG monitor myself recently and have been able to get through to an English person on that number who was very helpful in moving the process along. They're useless online in my experience.

Caporegime
If you're in the USA that number probably wouldn't do you any good. Its the LG UK support number. The equivelant US number is 800-243-0000 according to Gizoogle.

Associate
I know this is a really old post - but I thought it might be useful for some. I have the exact same monitor as OP with the exact same green corners that gradually spread across the whole monitor. Mine was also just outside the 2 year warranty. I had no luck with LG and didn't want to pay for a repair. So I bought a new monitor, and put the LG in the loft.

3 months later, my new monitor developed a fault and had to go for warranty repair. I got the LG out of the loft to see me through in the meantime, and the green corners have gone completely - the monitor looks as good as new.

I don't profess to understand why this may be the case, but perhaps anyone else suffering this issue may want to try powering the monitor off and leaving it for a while.

Soldato
OP
Interesting. The fault does somehow look like the corners and edges of the panel are warping or separating. Perhaps a long stay in colder storage helps to resettle things. Makes me wonder if it might come back again though after being used for a period.

Back
Top Bottom