Quick Windows Sound Speakers Setting Question

Caporegime
In the Windows Control Panel, Sound, Speakers, then Configure, ive always set them as Full-range, and Surround, but ive just been reading, that if your speakers come with a subwoofer, then they are generally not Full-range, so should i deselect Full-range, as i do have a Sub ? (Ive just replaced my old Logi. X-530s (which came with a Sub), with a set of the Logi. Z906s (which also come with a Sub).

EDIT: Im just using the onboard sound on my Giga. X570 Aorus Pro btw.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ideally you don't want to have full range speakers selected, if you have a system with satellite speakers.

Full range option is intended for much larger speakers; preferably floor standing or larger bookshelf speakers that can handle lower frequencies. Satellite speakers are only capable of handling higher frequencies.

Caporegime
OP
Ideally you don't want to have full range speakers selected, if you have a system with satellite speakers.

Full range option is intended for much larger speakers; preferably floor standing or larger bookshelf speakers that can handle lower frequencies. Satellite speakers are only capable of handling higher frequencies.

Ahh ok, i'll knock Full-range off then, thanks :)

Associate
Does the same rule apply if you have 2 satellites and a sub connected to a hifi amp via toslink or do you need to set it to full range so all frequencies are pushed to the amp and the amp will do the sorting?

Soldato
Does the same rule apply if you have 2 satellites and a sub connected to a hifi amp via toslink or do you need to set it to full range so all frequencies are pushed to the amp and the amp will do the sorting?

I think enabling 'full range' is the way to go for your setup, because you'd want Windows to send all frequencies via the single optical connection. The amp will receive all frequencies, just as it would do if you connected a CD player and played a CD. Hardware crossovers in the equipment sorts out what goes where.

With OP's setup; 5.1 speakers are connected to different audio outputs. He'd want lower frequencies going only to the subwoofer connection, not to the front and rear left right connections.

Associate
I think enabling 'full range' is the way to go for your setup, because you'd want Windows to send all frequencies via the single optical connection. The amp will receive all frequencies, just as it would do if you connected a CD player and played a CD. Hardware crossovers in the equipment sorts out what goes where.

With OP's setup; 5.1 speakers are connected to different audio outputs. He'd want lower frequencies going only to the subwoofer connection, not to the front and rear left right connections.

Thank you so much for your help. What you suggest makes perfect sense and I’m going to adjust my settings a bit later.

Back
Top Bottom