Car choice help! 8k budget

Associate
Was in a similar position last week whilst looking at a car within an 8k budget for similar reasons. The following were all within budget and easily superior in terms of comfort and drivability than similarly priced Skodas, Fords, VW's etc
  • Jaguar XF 3.0
  • Mercedes E-Class
  • Mercedes S-Class (picked up a super clean S320 '58 for under 8k including VED, with fully stamped Mercedes history, 75k miles, new 19" alloys and good condition 17" standard alloys). Insurance was £700 FC at 30 with 0 NCB without need for a tracker through admiral.
  • BMW 5 series
Insurance was also surprisingly lower than newer fiestas, focuses, superbs, but VED was higher given the larger emissions.

Associate
Passat, S60. Think it’s difficult to see past the Superb in terms of bang per buck.
Leon ST, but basically the same car. Skoda has better quality interior, Leon looks more sporty.
For your mileage, a diesel can just do it, but at the moment, wouldn't recommend one, as as soon any city ban them, pretty much many others will follow.
The 1.5 petrol seems to return good mpg.

Soldato
Nice does yours come in the cheaper tax bracket? My journey sounds similar to yours bit of motorway / dual track and A roads (although a few more miles each way).

Mine's a 2012 SE manual 5 door model, so comes in at £160 for a years tax. Some of the newer models are cheaper on tax, especially the 1.6 TDi. Problem is the 1.6 engine is just a little underpowered for such a large car. I'd go for at least the 140BHP 2.0 TDi.

Associate
OP
Mine's a 2012 SE manual 5 door model, so comes in at £160 for a years tax. Some of the newer models are cheaper on tax, especially the 1.6 TDi. Problem is the 1.6 engine is just a little underpowered for such a large car. I'd go for at least the 140BHP 2.0 TDi.

Thanks so confusing these days with what to go for swear it used to be more straight forward :confused:

I've seen a few of the newer ones this one is a 16 plate 2 L deisel 149bhp is £20 year tax.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001186306568?atmobcid=soc3

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Apparently they're not great wearing. My mk2 is worse than that, although granted it's done nearly 100,000 now. There's a thread on Briskoda about the poor quality bolsters on the mk3 - link

Back
Top Bottom