• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
As others have said wait and see.... I can only articulate what success would look like as a consumer but as to whether AMD agree or can deliver on that who knows. It maybe for example they want to do the double and provide a Zen 3 4000 series CPU with a Big Navi release, that could be a very powerful play for AMD if they can pull it off at a sensible price.

Associate
Double might be pushing it, especially at that price. that would require something ~50% faster than a 2080Ti but 40% cheaper. I am pretty sure that's not happening though I would love to be proven wrong.
Its all I can do to tell AMD and Nvidia what I want and will pay for. It's their call but otherwise I'll sit on my hands for 18 months. 1080ti SLI for £1450 30 months ago crushes every other offer. 12 months from now we'll have sunlit GPU uplands, meanwhile all three companies will try and take the P.
I'm waiting until Ryzen 4000 and RDNA2/Ampere with settled pricing.

Soldato
Double might be pushing it, especially at that price. that would require something ~50% faster than a 2080Ti but 40% cheaper. I am pretty sure that's not happening though I would love to be proven wrong.

my prediction this time round is big navi 10-15% slower than 3080Ti but also at Lower price point making it more desirable at a price/performance ratio. I think by September both companies will have their cards out going by rumours on Internet. AMD might be first out the block with nvidia to follow.

Hopefully this will be again an all AMD build for me, have put of buying GFX card waiting for AMD to pull their pants up. Let's hope they don't goof this up.

Caporegime
my prediction this time round is big navi 10-15% slower than 3080Ti but also at Lower price point making it more desirable at a price/performance ratio. I think by September both companies will have their cards out going by rumours on Internet. AMD might be first out the block with nvidia to follow.

Hopefully this will be again an all AMD build for me, have put of buying GFX card waiting for AMD to pull their pants up. Let's hope they don't goof this up.

Nope!

:D

Associate

AMD had better price it to compete, the market needs 2080ti power at £500

Soldato
AMD had better price it to compete, the market needs 2080ti power at £500
I'm not sure that's actually possible with Lisa Su's 45% markup requirement.

2080 Ti power at £750 would still fly though: a proper performance boost over the EOL Radeon VII at more-or-less the same price. That also pushes an aggressive stance "dear Nvidia users, is lacklustre ray tracing really worth £350 to you?"

Associate
AMD are now pricing the same.
Pricing the same for similar performance two years later isn't going to create much of a stir. I'll stick with Nvidia if AMD aren't prepared to compete properly.
The 9700Pro was disruptive, the Fury X wasn't. Same price for a slightly worse product isn't going to light my fire.

Caporegime
Pricing the same for similar performance two years later isn't going to create much of a stir. I'll stick with Nvidia if AMD aren't prepared to compete properly.
The 9700Pro was disruptive, the Fury X wasn't. Same price for a slightly worse product isn't going to light my fire.
If you ask the AMD fans here, most of them don't want disruption, most of them want AMD to turn into nVidia. They keep saying they want AMD to make as much money as possible.

It's a weird mindset.

Soldato
If you ask the AMD fans here, most of them don't want disruption, most of them want AMD to turn into nVidia. They keep saying they want AMD to make as much money as possible.
I literally have not seen anybody say that. The "AMD fans" are saying they want 80 CU cards to crush the RTX Titan for £500, and then complain when it doesn't happen. Sensible people, however, acknowledge that in order for AMD to compete consistently, they have to make a war chest, and that only comes from increasing prices, which is a necessary evil however much we don't want it.

It's a weird mindset.
No, making **** up is a weird mindset.

Caporegime
I literally have not seen anybody say that. The "AMD fans" are saying they want 80 CU cards to crush the RTX Titan for £500, and then complain when it doesn't happen. Sensible people, however, acknowledge that in order for AMD to compete consistently, they have to make a war chest, and that only comes from increasing prices, which is a necessary evil however much we don't want it.

/

Caporegime

No, making **** up is a weird mindset.
Selective reading on your part, then.

A lot of AMD fans have been defending AMD's prices, saying things like "if nVidia can charge X why shouldn't AMD charge X, it's good if they can make more profit. They need to pay off their debts and {yadda}"

Then you have people like @jigger actually saying AMD should charge more, because they're too cheap...

Anyone who's been here more than five mins will have seen all the usual suspects :D

e: In fact you've pretty much proved my point with your own post, saying that "AMD need to increase prices and build a war chest."

So yeah, wishing for prices to increase... it's a strange mindset :D

Last edited:
Soldato
In fact you've pretty much proved my point with your own post, saying that "AMD need to increase prices and build a war chest."
So then, as somebody not an "AMD fan", you say AMD shouldn't build a war chest? Then don't ******* complain when the next series of Radeon GPUs are rubbish and Nvidia continue to bend the market over with incremental dross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom