• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Gigabyte 5700XT: £375 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1b9-gi.html
Gigabyte 2070S: £450 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-windforce-oc-3x-8g-8192mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1b3-gi.html

Virtually identical in performance, same vedor. the 5700XT is £75 or 20% less expensive.

Is that not good enough for you @FoxEye if not how much should it be and why should the AMD card be even cheaper? why is it on AMD not Nvidia to give their cards away?

Caporegime
@humbug I wouldn't but a xx70 nVidia card at those prices either.

In fact I haven't owned an nVidia card since... a long time ago. The 460, in fact, which was a kick-ass £150 GPU from nV, back before they got greedy.

The point is AMD fans are pretty happy for AMD to just match nV prices and nV perf a couple years late.

They don't want disruption - you yourself say "Why should AMD sell cheap if nVidia won't?"

So we continue to have ever-increasing prices. I don't care. I don't have to buy either.

Caporegime
@humbug I wouldn't but a xx70 nVidia card at those prices either.

In fact I haven't owned an nVidia card since... a long time ago. The 460, in fact, which was a kick-ass £150 GPU from nV, back before they got greedy.

The point is AMD fans are pretty happy for AMD to just match nV prices and nV perf a couple years late.

They don't want disruption - you yourself say "Why should AMD sell cheap if nVidia won't?"

So we continue to have ever-increasing prices. I don't care. I don't have to buy either.

I've had Nvidia cards for 4 years. Because AMD have been out of it for that time, i don't consider Vega competitive cards to Pascal, but Navi is competitive to Turing, they have the same IPC and power consumption, they are also significantly cheaper than Nvidia's Turing equivalents, AMD Navi cards are much closer to where the pricing should be compared to Turing, if you want cheaper cards don't keep laying it on AMD, at least they are trying but they also need to make some money for R&D, it costs a billion + to develop these cards.

Soldato
Gigabyte 5700XT: £375 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1b9-gi.html
Gigabyte 2070S: £450 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-windforce-oc-3x-8g-8192mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1b3-gi.html

Virtually identical in performance, same vedor. the 5700XT is £75 or 20% less expensive.

Is that not good enough for you @FoxEye if not how much should it be and why should the AMD card be even cheaper? why is it on AMD not Nvidia to give their cards away?

They're not virtually identical in performance. The 5700 XT is at least 10% slower. Secondly, they're not identical in features (RTX, Ansel, VRS, VR-specific features, NVENC etc.) Thirdly, they're not identical in driver stability. Lastly, ironically, the 5700 XT has less OC room and returns than the 2070 Super does.

Whether all that is worth £75 is up to the individual to decide, but in no way are they "nearly identical".

Caporegime
They're not virtually identical in performance. The 5700 XT is at least 10% slower. Secondly, they're not identical in features (RTX, Ansel, VRS, VR-specific features, NVENC etc.) Thirdly, they're not identical in driver stability. Lastly, ironically, the 5700 XT has less OC room and returns than the 2070 Super does.

Whether all that is worth £75 is up to the individual to decide, but in no way are they "nearly identical".

Granted, but i don't consider 10% significant. or any RTX features, its fluff. i have Ansel and NVENC Pascal, AMD have an NVENC equivalent. never used Ansel.

Soldato
Oh come on, a little over 10% slower in 1 game on 1 page of graphs out of 3 isn't "at least 10% slower". F1 2019 and the next 2 pages show the 5700 XT matching and beating the 2070S.
RTX is a joke
Ansel is fun gimmick of limited use
If by "VR-specific features" you mean VRWorks then YAY! for yet more Nvidia black box rubbish
NVENC isn't unique

So as a graphics card designed to actually play games then yes, the 5700 XT and 2070S are "nearly identical".

Soldato

Well, they did try to launch the 5700 series at a higher price but were laughed at and forced to reduce it significantly two days before launch. Did the E3 announcement get erased from existence?

Oh come on, a little over 10% slower in 1 game on 1 page of graphs out of 3 isn't "at least 10% slower". F1 2019 and the next 2 pages show the 5700 XT matching and beating the 2070S.
RTX is a joke
If by "VR-specific features" you mean VRWorks then YAY! for yet more Nvidia black box rubbish
NVENC isn't unique

So as a graphics card designed to actually play games then yes, the 5700 XT and 2070S are "nearly identical".

Nearly identical except the drivers for the aforementioned 2070S just work, no messing or registry fiddling. Now if the 2070S had random black screens and screwy fan profiles....:p

Last edited:
Associate
Well, they did try to launch the 5700 series at a higher price but were laughed at and forced to reduce it significantly two days before launch. Did the E3 announcement get erased from existence?

That is true and doing it as a stunt to misdirect Nvidia somehow doesn't ring true they really had to price adjust imho.

Soldato
RTX is a joke
NVENC isn't unique

Oh, did you need me to show you the margin for more games? I thought it was understood that I'm talking from a broader set. As for the features, you don't value them & that's fine. Others will disagree with your assessment, including myself.
4K.png

Man of Honour
Oh, did you need me to show you the margin for more games? I thought it was understood that I'm talking from a broader set. As for the features, you don't value them & that's fine. Others will disagree with your assessment, including myself.
4K.png

Thats at 4k, can you post the results from lower resolutions?

Soldato
Personal preference isn't it.
And that's why we have ludicrous prices in the market. There is no sensible metric which would justify the 2070 Super's price premium over the 5700 XT, but as long as Johnny "I'll Pay It Anyway" Cash Cow continues to be a moron then Nvidia will hike their prices. Which gives AMD no reason to charge sensible money, and which in turn will give Intel no reason to charge sensible money.

Personal preference, my dear willhub, is what's destroyed the pricing of the GPU market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom