My dyslexic weird text spacing thread and other dyslexics

Caporegime
Just curious, not saying this applies to the OP, but when do we go from saying someone has a condition to someone's just not very good at something or a bit thick?

Associate
I did ask if you were writing poetry a couple of weeks ago, which I hope you didn't find rude :p

You explained to me why you write like that which I appreciate because it's not something I've come across before, and I don't have any problem reading your posts.

If anyone gives you a hard time about it before they know why then they're probably just being flippant, but if they give you a hard time once you've explained then they're probably a **** who you should just ignore :)

Caporegime
One would assume its when the condition is verified and diagnosed.

Your choice of wording was poor btw

So...quite interesting. Just looked it up and essentially the diagnosis of dyslexia is applied where someone has a limited set of symptoms focussed around reading and writing but the absence of any other general lack of intelligence.
So there's no verifying of the condition per se, its more the lack of other problems that presents the diagnosis. Cause is unknown but suspected to be genetic.

Associate
I have problems reading although I wouldn't call it dyslexia. I would rather read little 'thought bullets' as in the OP than a wall of text. There's been many times I've wanted to read something but can't because there's no parsing of any text, just a big old wall of text.

Soldato
There once was a poster called McNumpty
Whose posting were of high quality
He writes posts in verse
Making some posters terse
But rhyming is of no guarantee

On a serious note, you do you. If this is the only way you can post. Those of us without dyslexia (or other condition) will cope.

Associate
I know how you feel.

The history of Dyslexia is an interesting one. and I am sure I recall reading that it all started with the introduction of National Service of all thigs, Dyslexics are not simply people who have poor literacy skills.

They are pretty much defined as being people who are well above average intelegence in every other measurable and subjective way but nevertheless have uncharacteristically poor literacy skills.:p

Dyslexia of course has different degrees and also affects people in different ways. I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was at primary school. I couldn't do mental arithmetic at all well, my reading skills were very poor as was writing. I had tutoring for about 4 years. I was shown a specific way to try and learn words and numbers by association. It took a long time but worked perfectly. This took my reading / writing age from being 4-5 years behind what it should have been to well a few years ahead of my age group. My ability to do any sort of sums in my head still isn't there but I have no issues at all doing complex maths on spreadsheets etc. I've found that I learn best by doing something in practice rather than reading about it or have someone verbally tell me about something - this is quite a common trait for dyslexics.

Dyslexia does have some plus points - I have the ability to write backwards very easily, read upside down and back to front. I am extremely good at seeing trends in data, multi-tasking and always having the ability to think about a bigger picture and how one action impacts other things. Something that is a curse and a plus point is a lot of people with dyslexia are able to think through every scenario of something. Whether that's for work or for daily life. This means my brain often thinks of every outcome for every possible situation. It's really bad for when I'm doing something new - it can cause massive anxiety. But for other things it's really cool.

It's well known dyslexics are on the whole very intelligent, and if you can find your own way around the negative things it's not so bad!

Soldato
If people make fun of it
In a humorous way then I don't
Mind in the slightest
@Usher
@dowie
You guys were hilarious
Rude or impolite is a different matter
And is just uncalled for

And if any one thinks they can
Be more humorous
Than usher and dowie were
I can't wait to hear it :D:D:D:D

Edit
Usher and dowie rapped to guy nicking lead off my roof in the style of my
Text spacing I guess lol
Here's the raps

Man on de roof he nick your lead
he trip in de gutter an bang is head
when you tek a look you face turn red
de bloke on de floor is cold stone dead

de police dem come an shake them head
how come de bloke is stone cold dead?
If him fall down off yo roof
we wanna see de goddam proof

If you do it? fo sure you screw it
Go tek a run fo sure you blew it
you nick yo own lead
We goddam knew it

2nd rap

.you post to Facebook so people can see him
they call him out, wouldn't wanna be him
he looks like he owns a corner sofa
when you catch him you'll kick him with your lofas

Cracked me up guys

I'm glad you liked my rhyme although you didn't add my other verses so i just did ;)

It was done in the style of a Limerick so not an attempt to copy your style
I had no idea you had a form of dyslexia so glad you took it in good spirit

Man of Honour
Same here.
People in the past have had a go at me because I have a sentence per line but it's how I roll.
At work when writing letters I do one line at a time and then I join them together because I know it would be unprofessional.
I sometimes do it here but I feel very uncomfortable when I've put two or more sentences together to make a paragraph.
After I've finished typing I may have to read my post at least 5 times to check for spelling mistakes and that I haven't added or missed words out.

Soldato
So...quite interesting. Just looked it up and essentially the diagnosis of dyslexia is applied where someone has a limited set of symptoms focussed around reading and writing but the absence of any other general lack of intelligence.
So there's no verifying of the condition per se, its more the lack of other problems that presents the diagnosis. Cause is unknown but suspected to be genetic.

There are tests for it. The test it's designed around the way you think about things. It trys to catch you out. Been many years since I've been tested so hard to remember. Might not even be done these days.

Soldato
OP
Sorry guys
Had an off grid day yesterday
So didn't get to answer
Anything at all
Will try to answer as many as possible
In one post as multi quotes
Is my other weakness
Any capital letters in weird places or
At start of every line
Are usually down to the
Spell checker
Some one in another thread
Mentioned using a software to
Format their text properly
I am hoping they answered me
As to what the software is
Yes dyslexia covers far more of a
Spectrum than the person in
The street is usually aware of
Dyslexia vs intelligence was mentioned
Though I don't like to go there
As it can be controversial
If it's relevant to some though my IQ is
Around 130~140

@Usher your other verses
Are also ******* hilarious mate
You have a real talent for that
No way I could take it any way except
Hilariously
Even if I tried to
So please feel free to rap
Anytime you want if it makes
Some one smile its all great
Most days I have the ability to
Laugh at myself lol

To whoever asked
Sorry forgot who but
I am Scottish
But no longer in Scotland

Most people in here have been great
Only a few rude ones
Guess sometimes I have
A touchy day about it
Most times I shrug it off

Going to go check other threads
Before this gets longer
Than
War and peace
Will come back and reread
As know I will have missed replying
To some of you
@Usher
Did I mention you were hilarious
With that rap lol
Still smiling over it

Man of Honour
There are tests for it. The test it's designed around the way you think about things. It trys to catch you out. Been many years since I've been tested so hard to remember. Might not even be done these days.

I've posted my youngest daughters tests on here a few years ago and it's got nothing to do with spelling or the stereotypical view many have of dyslexia.
I also laugh at the claims where people have said they fooled a proper dyslexic test to get free laptops etc, questions are asked so many times in different ways that they will catch you out.

Soldato
OP
There's some genuinely lovely folks on these forums but as with every community, sadly you get some genuinely toxic people too!

You come across as a nice guy from what I've seen and your posts are far more digestible than the often walls of text we regularly see.

Would it help if when replying to you directly we try to format our posts as you do? Or would you find that condescending?
Thanks for even considering that
No just reply as you
Would to any one else
If I happen to misread it and get
It wrong just tell me
It's not being told hey you
Are replying Saying X when my
Problem is Y
It's how people tell you that
You are getting the wrong end of
The stick that makes a
Difference
You guys put up with my weird
Spacing
Only fair I have to persevere to
Read however you guys type

Soldato

As I said earlier, I sort of recall it originally became an issue with national service.

Early "Intelligence tests" were based primarily on literacy or "Spelling age" as it used to be called. there is a certain logic in this, but I wont go into this for now.

With national service the Army/Forces had a large influx of random young people and they had to quickly work out who was likely to be good at what in a manner that the standard spelling tests proved poor at achieving.

That's when the spaceial reasoning aspects of IQ tests were added to the mix.

It was found, in the main, that these tests gave similar results overall to the older style tests except for a specific and identifiable group who tended to perform well above average at the spaceial parts of the test but very poorly at the verbal parts independent of their educational background.

Hence the term Dyslexia or as it was originally called "Word Blindness"

The issue here isn't so much the absence of other problems as such. It is the extreme and unexpected absence of other problems. IE not so much average people who happen to be functionally illiterate. But people who on the face of it are very smart but happen, also, to be unexpectedly functionally illiterate.

Back
Top Bottom