• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opinions on GPU Choice MSI v Gigabyte

Associate
Looking at these GPUs and I know the Super will give best performance, but I'm not a heavy gamer so after one that will be relatively quiet inside my be quiet pure base 500 case. Read that the MSI GPU fans seem to be much quieter than than Gigabyte. Having one where the fan doesn't spin when not under load is a bonus.

Was about to buy the Super GPU, but then read quite a few mixed user reviews regarding fan noise :-/

MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB ARMOR £119
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GAMING X £136
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB Windforce £146

Man of Honour
In terms of value (ie performance per £) and not considering warranty or noise, the 1650 super for £146 is the outright winner.
Taking warranty into consideration, gigabyte has.a UK warranty base, so that beats MSI (Holland iirc)
Fan noise is very model dependent so I cannot advise on that area. But in most cases, as long as the case is well ventilated, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. All these cards sip power so shouldn't need too much cooling

Associate
I had a lot of heat issues with my old 280X MSI even after fixing the awful thermal paste issue they had.

Got a Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce after having such good motherboards from them and I won't look back, I would spend the extra on Gigabyte any day.

Man of Honour
The cooler on the 1650 Gaming X gets pretty good reviews and has the fan stop feature, though you do pay a premium for it which makes it poor value price/perf compared to a super.

Permabanned
Seriously, for a quiet card then Palit have sold me. I had the 1080ti and was so impressed with how quiet it was I bought the 2080ti version as well. Ive not heard it the whole time I have owned either card and game at 4k so its pretty much maxed the entire time.

Man of Honour
Palit have been pretty solid so far in my uses but I'm not inspired by the cheaper feel/weight plastics and minimal if any use of copper, etc. instead lightweight aluminium they tend to use though the results are always adequate. So they don't have the more premium feel that my Gigabyte cards do but in operation I can't tell the difference.

Soldato
Can't fault my MSI 1070 Quicksilver.

Never, ever exceeds 60C at full pelt (max is usually 58c), and that's running at 2000Mhz, and runs quiet.

If I buy my next card new, I'll certainly be looking at MSI first.

Caporegime
Seriously, for a quiet card then Palit have sold me. I had the 1080ti and was so impressed with how quiet it was I bought the 2080ti version as well. Ive not heard it the whole time I have owned either card and game at 4k so its pretty much maxed the entire time.

I've been well impressed with mine too and it wasn't the cheapest option either even from them.

It was their better 2070 super and it runs extremely cool and I've never heard the fans apart from start up.

I've owned all makes, evga, msi, founders, zotac, gigabyte. Most are much of the same but the Palit was the first that really stood out above them all.

After them I'd say evga, msi and gigabyte are all even.

Never had an asus because terribly overpriced for what they are.

Permabanned
I've been well impressed with mine too and it wasn't the cheapest option either even from them.

It was their better 2070 super and it runs extremely cool and I've never heard the fans apart from start up.

I've owned all makes, evga, msi, founders, zotac, gigabyte. Most are much of the same but the Palit was the first that really stood out above them all.

After them I'd say evga, msi and gigabyte are all even.

Never had an asus because terribly overpriced for what they are.

Agreed Sonny. I always bought MSI cards as they were solid and well cooled but its the sheer lack of noise Im so impressed with from these cards. As you said, I have never heard them spin yet and the older Ive gotten, the more noise and a preference for a lack of it, matters

Associate
Just picked up a 1660 Super, MSI Gaming X model - paid the £30 premium over the Zotac just to get the fan stop during idle. It's been great, should keep me going till the next gen.

Back
Top Bottom