***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Knee pain is a weird one because a lot of the problems aren't actually associated with the knee itself.

How much unilateral leg work do you do? Have you tried band-resisted work to get glute med going? How flexible are your hip flexor, too?

Generally, go and see a physio, but there are a few bits you can do at home which may help...

I think hip flexibility is pretty good. I think good advice re physio and have messaged a PT friend for a recommendation of a sports physio. Reading around it sounds like Quadriceps Tendonitis https://www.kneeandshouldersurgery....tellofemoral-disorders/quadriceps-tendonitis/

I used to get it mildly when i was running a lot and have now been squatting so much this past year.

I don't really do any leg excercises beyond lifts.

Soldato
Too much information to sift through hypertrophy training wise. I think I'll stick to stronglifts minus squats and deadlifts for a while and add some extra hypertrophy stuff at the end. Once my back is up to it, add them back in and move to madcows.

Soldato
Well that gym session probably cost me about £400... exams and real life have taken away any time for the gym. I’m hoping with this big one out the way I’ve got a little more time for exercise.

Did a light StrongLifts workout followed by some HIIT on the Wattbike. Hopefully I can start building up again... I know the progression is quite fast in stronglifts, but perhaps halving my previous numbers was too low. Felt very easy today, which I suppose is better than risking an injury.

Man of Honour
Very nice bench session today. Weather looks horrible tomorrow, so decided to gym today instead. AC joints felt good, multiple 135kg singles that could easily have done for reps and 127.5kg triples for three. Much better than my deads yesterday where I felt exhausted. Amazing the difference a day can make.

Man of Honour
How heavy does one need to lift on deadlifts before they need to invest in a weight belt?

Some here would argue never. Personally I find I really benefit from one above 130 or thereabouts. I don't put it on until heavier sets. You may find you want a narrower belt for DL. 4 inch digs in too much for them for me, but 3 works.

Man of Honour
Sounds like I'm a long way off then. Was just checking as I don't want to cause my self an injury form not using a belt.

You will only cause yourself an injury if you lift badly. A belt is actually a reasonably effective get-out card for bad form, but that is a conversation for you to have with yourself: better to lift well and know you're good than not.

And @reiyushin: beast.

Soldato
OP
How heavy does one need to lift on deadlifts before they need to invest in a weight belt?

Once you're out of the noob phase and still wish to train movements with heavy axial (back) loading in the moderate to lower rep ranges. IMO as long as you understand what the belt does/doesn't do and how to use it, then it's a good investment. You don't need one (unless you're a competitive powerlifter in which case you'd just be putting yourself at a disadvantage), but there's no drawback to having one either so it's a good investment for the gym bag.

I'd recommend reading The Belt Bible here by Greg Nuckols which goes over everything someone would want to know. Worth reading the comments too at the bottom.

Man of Honour
Once you're out of the noob phase and still wish to train movements with heavy axial (back) loading in the moderate to lower rep ranges. IMO as long as you understand what the belt does/doesn't do and how to use it, then it's a good investment. You don't need one (unless you're a competitive powerlifter in which case you'd just be putting yourself at a disadvantage), but there's no drawback to having one either so it's a good investment for the gym bag.

I'd recommend reading The Belt Bible here by Greg Nuckols which goes over everything someone would want to know. Worth reading the comments too at the bottom.

Ooooft... there are a lot of indicative studies referenced in there, and assumptions (increased abdominal pressure during isometrics, improved bar speed off the floor but no overall difference in time to complete, etc.). I applaud his review, but he then goes onto dismiss the views of Dr. S. McGill (spinal biomechanics person) because they don't agree with his (with no hard evidence as to why - reading McGill's evaluation of belts on lifting and their placebo effect [for people in strenuous activity, mind - not powerlifters] is actually quite interesting...).

One of the critical things when looking at scientific papers is the context and the results: intra-abdominal pressure increases are not the same as lifting increases, in the same way as EMG activity is not the same as gains.

Buy a belt and use it if you feel you lift better with it... but the science (not your/his/her experience, of course) is a very long way from indicative, let alone conclusive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom