Skoda UK extended car warranty

Associate
Hi all, my Skoda Octavia is coming up to 3 years old so i've been receiving emails from Skoda asking if I want to take out the extended warranty.

I cover about 15k miles a year in my 1.6D 17 plate Octavia and it works out around £21 a month for a year's extended warranty.

Does it sound worth it? It's like any insurance policy I guess.

Soldato
Took it on my car
Though made sure it covered everything
Including electrics not just
Mechanical as modern cars got
So much electronics in them
Yes it's like any insurance
It's basically a gamble
Whether you will ever claim on it
Or not

Associate
I was in the exact same position and took it out. I’d had 3 previously before but company cars and the engine went in the last Octavia, one week before warranty expired so felt it’s in my best interest.

Associate
You will probably need it, with it being a Skoda. It's just a question of the maths: £21 x 12 months = £252/year. That's about 3 hours labour at Skoda. Can you see yourself needing that amount of work in a year? Or twice that in a two year period?

That's not to say it's a good deal, because obviously it would be nice if the car was more reliable, but all things considered...

ajf

ajf

Soldato
For that cost I would do it for peace of mind.
One issue will easily save you more than that. Dual mass flywheel went on a diesel Astra I had.
Would have cost £1500 if I had to pay.

Soldato
Are you sure it's a genuine Skoda Extension to the warranty the car came with? Or an aftermarket one that just happens to be "Skoda Branded"?
The warranty that comes with a Skoda is great, as good as any other out there. At time of purchase you can extend that warranty to Year 4 or 5. However I don't believe you can extend the warranty at the end of the 3yr period.
Instead there will be an attempt to sell you a far inferior product.

If it is a true extension of the original manufacturers warranty then yes, grab it - it's as comprehensive as you're going to get. But do have a good read through all the paper work.

Soldato
You will probably need it, with it being a Skoda. It's just a question of the maths: £21 x 12 months = £252/year. That's about 3 hours labour at Skoda. Can you see yourself needing that amount of work in a year? Or twice that in a two year period?

That's not to say it's a good deal, because obviously it would be nice if the car was more reliable, but all things considered...

Are you implying that Skoda don't regular appear very close to the top of many reliability charts?

Soldato
Are you sure it's a genuine Skoda Extension to the warranty the car came with? Or an aftermarket one that just happens to be "Skoda Branded"?
You can only extend the manufacturer warranty at point of original order, any other extension is via Skoda Financial Services (VW Financial Services).

Associate
Just looked and for my 1.2tsi fabia, with 35k miles on the clock and less than 10k miles/annum it's £256. Not going to be buying it!

Man of Honour
Well in the JD Power 2019 Dependability Study
Skoda had a rating of 88 problems per 100 vehicles. VW had 113 and Audi 167 - just one example of course.

Which is interesting given that they are the same mechanical components largely isn't it?

Soldato
Skoda being at the bottom of the family pecking order means the tech trickles down so Audi and be get all the shiny new gadgets first with perhaps being new tech doesn’t have the tries and tested reliability of the older stuff?

Associate
I would get the warranty, but VW group's definition of what constitutes a fault is dubious. If your engine consumes 500ml of oil every 600 miles it's not broken according to VAG.

Man of Honour
Skoda being at the bottom of the family pecking order means the tech trickles down so Audi and be get all the shiny new gadgets first with perhaps being new tech doesn’t have the tries and tested reliability of the older stuff?

New tech and Audi? This is the firm that sold the 8P A3 for about 10 years :D

Back
Top Bottom