When are you going fully electric?

Associate
On a night shift at the moment and it is really interesting. I am in a semi rural area. Being late most people are at home. Cars are parked everywhere, on the roadside, on corners residential car parks etc.

Even houses with driveways have cars parked on the roadside as many households have more than one vehicle.

It's probably not likely that both cars would need charging each night though, I've not tried it but I'm sure if I started with full battery on Monday morning I could do all way to Friday without charging.

Associate
It's probably not likely that both cars would need charging each night though, I've not tried it but I'm sure if I started with full battery on Monday morning I could do all way to Friday without charging.

Although just a guess but I would speculate that 70% of cars are parked on the roadside.

Like I said I have no issue with electric cars in principle. But in practicality of charging you would hundreds of thousands of chargers at least, maybe millions, but more importantly huge areas to put them.

Either that or car ownership will only be for the people and businesses who have the space for the charging equipment and parking.

This is a huge question that really needs addressing and answering before going totally EV.

I have heard people from the AA, RAC and motoring press praising EVs. But when the question is put to them have absolutely no answer.

Soldato
Slightly off topic vs the recent discussions, but I thought this was interesting.

Latest stats from Carbon Brief:

EQMEj3bUcAA2tQ3

Source: https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1225828540110626816?s=20

"We've updated our @CarbonBrief analysis of the climate impacts of electric vehicles in light of rapidly falling carbon intensity of electricity in countries like the UK and a large revision downward of battery manufacturing emissions by IVL

Our previous version of the article used the 2017 IVL review of battery manufacturing emissions, which estimated them at 150-200 kg/kWh battery capacity. The 2019 revision uses data from commercial scale manufacturing plants and find only 61-106 kg/kWh (upper bound of 146)

More broadly, recent studies of lifecycle battery emissions all suggest around 100 kg/kWh or below, though there are still differences based on how electricity used in manufacturing is produced. If 100% renewables are used, this number drops as low as 60 kg/kWh"

Additional comment from Colin Mckerracher (worth a follow on Twitter) "If you have a really big battery pack, the CO2 improvement over a hybrid gets marginal in some countries. But then there's usually a segment comparison error - not a lot of people buy a Taycan instead of a Prius"

Soldato
Although just a guess but I would speculate that 70% of cars are parked on the roadside.
Guess... speculate... and 70%? Really?

Like I said I have no issue with electric cars in principle. But in practicality of charging you would hundreds of thousands of chargers at least, maybe millions, but more importantly huge areas to put them.

Didn't realise that a socket was so big, where are we going to put all the lamp posts, and bollards, and oh wait... In all seriousness though, you do realise that the type of 'overnight' chargers are not at all big, and they fit easily into a small post, lamppost, or other street furniture, or even as per some that are being tested directly into the ground.

Either that or car ownership will only be for the people and businesses who have the space for the charging equipment and parking.
Again, nonsense, people should really do some actual research before releasing their fingers on the keyboard. Even if there were no chargers at all near you, like there aren't now for a fuel pump, where you have to drive somewhere and put fuel in it, why would that change?

Do you think that you car will need to be charged every single day if you happen to not have a drive etc.? Tell me how many miles do you drive per year, and what is your average commute if you have a job away from home?

Soldato
As for batteries lasting 30 years? You’re utterly having a laugh, as I said I predict 5 years at max.

Hahahaha...

Wait, you were being serious? :D

My stepdad's Tesla is 6 years old with >120k miles and still does ~200 miles on a charge

My Zoe has just ticked over 1 year old with no noticeable drop in range, and is warrantied for >70% (which would give a useable range of 100+ miles) for 8 years. I might be wrong but I don't believe Renault (or any of the other EV manufacturers, who all have similar warranties) have gone bankrupt yet from having to replace batteries in all of their >5 year old EVs...

I get that EVs aren't suitable for everyone, and you clearly have an axe to grind for some reason, but if you want people to it seriously, then at least try to put forward an argument which isn't complete nonsense

Soldato
The sheer number of 200k+ mile 3 year old E/S-Class private hires which go through BCA disagree with you! The market in this segment is there i think, but the cars are not there to meet it yet.
Just compare it to the number of cars that go through with average mileage then what percentage are the 200k cars? I’m willling to bet a fraction of a percent then extrapolate that worldwide

Soldato
No retail customer would touch a 200k E/S class with some else’s pole let alone their own, hence why they all go to the auction rather than dealers keeping hold of their decent ex lease stock to resell.

Where do they all go? You really don’t see many moon mileage E/S class cars kicking around the secondhand market. I suspect they are all picked up cheap and exported.

Soldato
not to mention the clocked E/S classes ? although maybe the 200K ones are clocked too

related (half explanation) video about the Hyundai Kona https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vthUcfq5IOk
seems you can set 'winter mode', when it is cold (maybe it never is in the uk), and low SOC, which, then gives a predictable level of performance @47bhp,
potentially by enabling more battery heating ... Hyundai needs to provide a definitive explanation ie. what happens without it.

subsequently read this article on the Kona ev cabin/battery heating options
https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/20...undais-new-battery-thermal-management-design/
When Hyundai initially briefed the media on the US version of the Kona Electric there was some ambiguity about whether the car would have a dedicated battery heater. The company engineers have designed the Kona as a global vehicle with a menu of engineering choices that can be tailored to each marketing region to optimize for price and performance in different climate conditions.

At least for the 2019 model year, all Kona Electric’s sold in the US will come without a dedicated battery heater while all Canadian versions will include one. Similarly, all US deliveries will come with 5.5 kW PTC direct resistive cabin air heating alone while all Canadian deliveries will include a heat pump (reversible A/C system) to more efficiently assist cabin heating.

These choices implicitly assume that most, or at least a very large fraction, of the US deliveries will go to areas of California that rarely experience severe cold weather. Skipping the heat pump and dedicated battery heater saves money and helps lower the consumer price of the vehicle.
a heat pump for the cabin sounds more efficient ?

Soldato
My Hyundai Ioniq EV comes on Wednesday. Its the Premium SE model. For reference our other car is an F25 BMW X3 35D, and I honestly think it is night and day difference compared to older Hyundai vehicles. equipment levels are brilliant and I think the build quality is great. Very much looking forward to 5p per KW overnight charging with Octopus Go and our new Rolec smart charger.

Soldato
When it's cheap

I refuse to spend performance/enthusiast car money On a nasty slow, noisey, unrefined EV.

the only EVs I consider to actually be good cars cost the same as a 3 year old Ferrari.

that's not good, EVs in general still need to drop their price by at least 50%

the biggest problem is the engine. You can get a high performance petrol engine built for 10k. An EV cannot compete with that, it costs 20k for the EV engine and batteries if not more and then it's not even apples to apples, that's a slow EV engine and because the engine and batteries are so expensive, the rest of the car has to be cut down - so now you have an ugly exterior, ugly interior, cheap material, lack of sound insulation, lack of tech and features etc and to get those features added back, adds cost and now the car sells for double its petrol equivalent.

take the Nissan Leaf as an example - take out its engine and batteries and add a petrol engine into that chassis - now you can't sell that car for half the price it was before.

luckily change is coming especially from European manufacturers who are trying to slot in ev models at the same price as petrol equivalents though this pricing is still a couple years away

Last edited:
Soldato
When it's cheap

I refuse to spend performance/enthusiast car money On a nasty slow, noisey, unrefined EV.

the only EVs I consider to actually be good cars cost the same as a 3 year old Ferrari.

the biggest problem is the engine. You can get a high performance petrol engine built for 10k. An EV cannot compete with that, it costs 20k for the EV engine and batteries if not more and then it's not even apples to apples, that's a slow EV engine and because the engine and batteries are so expensive, the rest of the car has to be cut down - so now you have an ugly exterior, ugly interior, cheap material, lack of sound insulation, lack of tech and features etc and to get those features added back, adds cost and now the car sells for double its petrol equivalent.

take the Nissan Leaf as an example - take out its engine and batteries and add a petrol engine into that chassis - now you can't sell that car for half the price it was before.

luckily change is coming especially from European manufacturers who are trying to slot in ev models at the same price as petrol equivalents though this pricing is still a couple years away
But you also save a small fortune due to not having to pay for fuel (plus a high performance petrol car going to use a lot of fuel over it life time ;))

Till they find a way to TAX EV's

Soldato
But you also save a small fortune due to not having to pay for fuel (plus a high performance petrol car going to use a lot of fuel over it life time ;))

Till they find a way to TAX EV's

Yes, but it's not for nothing - in return you are getting a better exterior, interior, general features, sound and enjoyment.

as for EV tax, it's already taxed In the country I live and it's based on how many miles the car drives

Soldato
When it's cheap

funnily enough i refuse to spend performance/enthusiast money on an expensive to run, noisy and unrefined petrol powered car that needs servicing every 15k

Soldato
When it's cheap

Yep, there are no good options unless you're paying 60k+ yet

I'm running an old Lotus Elise to work and back atm (15 minute commute). It's not losing any value, does around 40mpg, insurance is cheap, looks sexy and can wake the neighbourhood, and it's London ULEZ exempt lols. I'd lose far more buying a EV now than continuing to pay for petrol and road tax.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom