How to store a few photo

Associate
I will be Putting my old ssd into my new pc and formatting it and using it as a secondary drive only but the problem I have is that I have roughly 150 family photos on there that I wish to keep but unsure how i can store them? I have a m.2 drive in new system but I can’t move them over from 2 different pc?? surly there must be a way or storing photo even for a few hours max?? While I format and install???

Soldato
USB stick is an easy temporary option as I've always got one or two on my key rings or lying around. Maybe cloud stored but ultimately I'd keep any digital data long term on an old HDD. Not SSD as they need to be powered periodically to renew the cell state of charge.

Soldato
Back them up online and onto a usb stick. If you don’t have a backup of them already you are asking for trouble. If a single drive fails you will lose them

Soldato
Maybe cloud stored but ultimately I'd keep any digital data long term on an old HDD. Not SSD as they need to be powered periodically to renew the cell state of charge.

You know mechanical drives need to also be powered up periodically. They might not have cells, but still have mechanical parts that are prone to siezing up/degradation.

Soldato
So you have a new M.2 system drive...

1. Install just the M.2 into the new PC and install Windows.

2. Connect old SATA SSD to new PC and copy files.

3. Format SATA SSD.

Advice above about backups is valid and you should do that first, and continuously in future. Losing important files isn't fun.

Associate
OP
So you have a new M.2 system drive...

1. Install just the M.2 into the new PC and install Windows.

2. Connect old SATA SSD to new PC and copy files.

3. Format SATA SSD.

Advice above about backups is valid and you should do that first, and continuously in future. Losing important files isn't fun.
Old ssd has windows installed on it also, will that create a problem if I was to
Do the above and connect it to new pc then search for photo folder and move files over onto m.2 then format or clean drive????
Large usb stick a good shout..

Soldato
Old ssd has windows installed on it also, will that create a problem if I was to
Do the above and connect it to new pc then search for photo folder and move files over onto m.2 then format or clean drive????
Large usb stick a good shout..
Should be OK so long as you select the correct boot device. Maybe just that one time, boot via the boot menu in BIOS to make sure it doesn't launch from the wrong Windows install.

Soldato
Ok I will try that and thank
You
I would look at some simple cloud storage.

I believe one drive gives you some free storage.

I would not try and keep this stuff on local drives or USB other than for temporary reasons. And that would only be if they were never your only copy.

Soldato
I would look at some simple cloud storage.

I believe one drive gives you some free storage.

I would not try and keep this stuff on local drives or USB other than for temporary reasons. And that would only be if they were never your only copy.

Why?? I have had stuff on usb sticks for years

Soldato
I have freenas.

Two raid arrays on 1. One replicates to another.

Freenas is on vpn to separate location with another freenas install, running another raid array.

That secondary freenas pushes files to s3 storage.

I don't know what a usb stick is to be honest..i have no need for the nasty rubbish that they are. They are slower to write too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom