Spec me a QoS modem/router

Associate
Hi All,

Currently using the BT HH6 which is fine when there's one person on the network, but as soon as someone switches the smart TV on, or streaming video over WiFi my latency goes haywire. As high as >200ms. (hardwired)

Can someone please point me in the direction of a Modem/router that does QoS ?

Thanks

Soldato
... a connection type/speed and a budget would help - no point in assuming FTTC if it’s g.fast and you need a modem.

Associate
OP
Oops
Currently BT FTTC, at 63mb/s
Nothing else available in the area as our exchange is not unbundled and we are way outside a cabled area. No G.Fast either.

Budget ? Up to £300 if that's what it takes. But obvs cheaper is better, and I would prefer it not looking like a an epileptic gamer-frog.

Soldato
Any need for VPN (if so, which protocol) or any form of DPI/filtering? How do you feel about a multi device set-up such as separate modem/router/AP? Sorry to keep asking questions, but the potential budget opens up quite a few decent prosumer/business class routers along with splitting routing functions and wifi to separate devices, which often gives a better overall result.

Associate
OP
Thanks - I'll try to answer as best I can

Whilst a VPN is "a good thing" tm - I don't really need one. I work from home and use the corporate laptop which has it's own solution
Multi device ? Perhaps, but I have two concerns.
- Latency from additional hops
- Complexity. Would a total noob be able to manage the setup ?

Currently I have the following network - all Gigabit where wired
Main PC cabled to Hub
Synology NAS cabled to Hub
Laser printer cabled to Hub
Devolo powerline cabled to hub with an AP upstairs
Smart TV on powerline adapter, but keeps falling off the network, so usually on WiFi
Work laptop, Wife's laptop and various smartphones - all WiFi

Soldato
The Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) would seem to tick most of your boxes but you would need to source a VDSL modem as well. You can get BT branded ECS and Huawei ones from eBay for about £15 or the Draytek Vigor 130 is what I usually specify although it’s very expensive these days at about £80. I’m sure cheaper modems are available.

Associate
OP
The Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) would seem to tick most of your boxes but you would need to source a VDSL modem as well. You can get BT branded ECS and Huawei ones from eBay for about £15 or the Draytek Vigor 130 is what I usually specify although it’s very expensive these days at about £80. I’m sure cheaper modems are available.

Thanks
Does the extra step introduce latency ?
Is this simple for me to manage ?

Associate
Thanks - Are these hard to manage ?

Not at all - Draytek's are really user friendly. They are enterprise grade of kit so definitely better than most consumer/prosumer grade kit. Ubiquity would probably be the nearest thing along with Mikrotik but need some experience with Networking / Command line to get the most out of them.

If you sign up to the Draytek website, there is an area called "Mikey's Guides" and it covers loads of useful things including QoS.

Shawrey

Associate
Latency spikes on BT connection when streaming videos is a known fault with their service. I have had the same problem and cancelled within cooling off period because of that.
Using exactly the same equipment with sky and zen none of this was happening.

Associate
OP
Latency spikes on BT connection when streaming videos is a known fault with their service. I have had the same problem and cancelled within cooling off period because of that.
Using exactly the same equipment with sky and zen none of this was happening.

That's interesting - some sort of traffic shaping then ?

Associate
Could be as this was going on for a long time now.
There is a lot of people complaining about it on their forums.

Back
Top Bottom