Ideas for 6 week holiday

Soldato
I can take 6 weeks off work this year, so trying to figure out what to do with it. I'll be on my own (probably) for most of it. I've never done solo travel really before, other than living in San Francisco for 3 months. Didn't love being on my own to be honest in San Francisco - only started enjoying it once I made a group of friends and got out of the mindset of needing to go out and do something every evening/weekend. Living somewhere whilst working is quite different from a holiday though, so do recognise that!

My current idea was spending 2 weeks in Korea (may be able to get a couple of friends for this part), spend a couple of weeks in India just with family, and then do a 2 week or so trek in Nepal as part of an organised group.

I did also play around with the idea of doing some kind of course just in London, but a couple of people did, quite rightly, point out that with evening classes, I could probably do that alongside work anyway rather than spend my 6 week break doing it.

So GD - any ideas/suggestions?!

Soldato
Why do you need to do anything at all? The best 'holiday' I ever had was one where I planned nothing and just relaxed at home with no expectations.

That aside, how do you feel about fishing? Sea fishing is tons of fun, and if you do travel around perhaps factor that or something similar into it?

Soldato
I did the Canino , started last september and was gone for 6 weeks ,the actual walk been about 33 days Did st jean pied de port to santiago de compostela 500 miles ish . its an utterly amazing experience and made for solo travel (although i went with my ex gf) crossing the Pyrenees was jaw dropping ,and places like Pamplona make amazing stopovers,
stuck to the alburgues for the full experiance ,sometimes 50 plus to a room sometimes 4 ,from zero to 10 euros a night (although a lot of the Amerucans just used hotels )
Thing is im a soletery sort of person and what happens on the way is you are passed by pilgrims who chat ,you walk with them a little or a lot (we met the same korean girls for about 20 days)
had to be persuaded to do it but so glad i did ,chilled out in Santander on the way back then ferry to Plymouth

Soldato
Not done it but my mate has twice and he said do the Camino solo. Great way to meet a gang and rewarding. I would def jump at the chance if I had 6 weeks. He never went with anyone. And had a really great experience both times.

Soldato
Not done it but my mate has twice and he said do the Camino solo. Great way to meet a gang and rewarding. I would def jump at the chance if I had 6 weeks. He never went with anyone. And had a really great experience both times.
definitely a great solo thing ,i was made redundant so it was an ideal opportunity,some i met had just given up their jobs to do it and if your single its an amazing way to ,well not be single for a while, this was the first rest stop across the pyranees (coffee stop)

IMG-20190912-090447.jpg

Caporegime
JUST LOL if you don't go to Blackpool, a seaside resort on the Irish Sea coast of England. It's known for Blackpool Pleasure Beach, an old-school amusement park with vintage wooden roller coasters. Built in 1894, the landmark Blackpool Tower houses a circus, a glass viewing platform and the Tower Ballroom, where dancers twirl to the music of a Wurlitzer organ. Blackpool Illuminations is an annual light show along the Promenade.

Noobs.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tips! Will pass on Wuhan/Blackpool, but let's call it plan B :p

Camino sounds quite interesting! Will look into it more. Is it quite easy then to meet people whilst walking, or something you would do as part of a tour so you already have a group? I have a feeling this will be a silly question, but just walking etc. I'd probably expect most people on thier own to have headphones in.

Japan would be (is) brilliant, but went there with some friends a couple of years back, so done that already :)

Back
Top Bottom