BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
The BMW M3 looks massively better than a Model 3, it's iconic, and a nicer place to be. Sure the Model 3 Performance would out-drag it and is cheaper to run, but that's not exactly the priority when talking about £60k+ cars.

I like Tesla's and have nothing against them, but to just dismiss something like an M3 as inferior seems strange.

Soldato
The BMW M3 looks massively better than a Model 3, it's iconic, and a nicer place to be. Sure the Model 3 Performance would out-drag it and is cheaper to run, but that's not exactly the priority when talking about £60k+ cars.

I like Tesla's and have nothing against them, but to just dismiss something like an M3 as inferior seems strange.

Also someone who would normally buy an M3/M4 isn't gonna go out and buy a Model 3.

Soldato
Pretty confident the M3 performance will spank an M3 in most categories, I think the slightly cheaper interior is more than covered by the lower running costs, better performance, better maintainability, self driving ability, better infotainment, not dealing with stealers etc. etc.
Indeed.

I’m literally an ex M car owner having owned an f10 e39 and e92 and will never own another unless it’s radically different which this one won’t be.

The ownership experience on my Tesla is far superior, the interior isn’t as good as some other premium marques I’ve owned such as Infiniti or my Lexus but the simplicity and tech is much better. Don’t forget technology is one of the reasons people used to buy BMW cars.

Oh and the running regime is much easier. Most people that own these types of expensive cars are usually busy people with no time to waste. Having to visit a dealer every year to have your wallet drained or visit a petrol station every week doesn’t appeal. Just plug it in when you’re at home or work and never service it.

buying one is a lot easier too, book a test drive online and go to your appointment time, buy the car online with no sales staff and very little spec sheet as most stuff is included and you get a 1000 mile no quibble return policy. BMW don’t do any of this stuff which makes life easier for the selller and the buyer and I don’t know why.
You still cannot book a BMW test drive online in 2020 only fill out your details for someone to call you back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely, my 4

Why not? They’re both family saloons with go faster bits? The M3 is more shouty I give you that, but the C63/QF wins on that front anyway imo.

The M3, C63 and QF are all in the same bracket. They don't pretend to compete against a car like the Model 3.

The Model 3 is the that is trying to pretend to be as good as the above mentioned. However, those cars have never been about straight line speed.

Around a track it is quite good the Model 3 can give an M2 Competition a run for it's money, however again people are buying that car for the S55 engine.

Man of Honour
The model 3 happens to be fast, it wasn't the design intention nor is it the reason 95% of people buy one.

There will be numerous people buying a Model 3 who used to drive something with about 150bhp who have little interest in performance.

Soldato
The model 3 happens to be fast, it wasn't the design intention nor is it the reason 95% of people buy one.

There will be numerous people buying a Model 3 who used to drive something with about 150bhp who have little interest in performance.
Yes it is, it’s called a performance model so they made a normal model (standard range) to compete with a 330i and a performance model to compete with the M3. There are many people who have bought one who have graduated out of the fast German equivalents due to poor ownership experiences afforded by them, there are also those who has something more mediocre who appreciate the fact that the car isn’t a ruinous idea financially as there’s no gearbox to go bang or rod bearing to collapse, or 15mpg so ownership is a real possibility.

In fact Elon musk is on record for saying that the design brief of his cars is to be better than any petrol equivalent, which it is in this case. In fact the only reason someone would buy an M3 is for subjective reasons like engine noise (my last m5 sounded like a harmonica) or interior dash quality.

You have to accept that Tesla have taken a big dump over the entire 3 series line and absolutely killed it.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
How about in the USA?

Dunno, what country do we live in?

Also if you are gonna play that game, how about global sales?

The US also have other sedans which do really well, so why pick the 3 series? BMW cars are expensive to buy and maintain over there, compared to Europe.

edit:

Here we go. Toyota Camry destroys it.

Also for comparison Ford sold 77,000 F series trucks in the same month.

1b1oThV.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it is, it’s called a performance model so they made a normal model (standard range) to compete with a 330i and a performance model to compete with the M3. There are many people who have bought one who have graduated out of the fast German equivalents due to poor ownership experiences afforded by them, there are also those who has something more mediocre who appreciate the fact that the car isn’t a ruinous idea financially as there’s no gearbox to go bang or rod bearing to collapse, or 15mpg so ownership is a real possibility.

In fact Elon musk is on record for saying that the design brief of his cars is to be better than any petrol equivalent, which it is in this case. In fact the only reason someone would buy an M3 is for subjective reasons like engine noise (my last m5 sounded like a harmonica) or interior dash quality.

You have to accept that Tesla have taken a big dump over the entire 3 series line and absolutely killed it.
Is the Tesla ownership experience any better? From what I’ve seen with friends that have them (anecdotal, I know) is that they’re just as frustrating to deal with - lots of quality issues and huge tyre wear (destroyed a set on a model X after 9k miles).

Soldato
Dunno, what country do we live in?

Also if you are gonna play that game, how about global sales?

The US also have other sedans which do really well, so why pick the 3 series? BMW cars are expensive to buy and maintain over there, compared to Europe.

edit:

Here we go. Toyota Camry destroys it.

Also for comparison Ford sold 77,000 F series trucks in the same month.

1b1oThV.png

well how about we pick the cars from it’s segment the 3 series, a4 and c class, oh and the Lexus IS and Infiniti G if they still make it. I’m not sure what the American equivalents are I’m assuming some sort of Cadillac

my point is that it’s the most mature market for the car as it has been on sale there for the longest so it’s a better set of figures rather than the supply constrained U.K. that’s only been on sale for 8 months.

The Camry is irrelevant as it doesn’t compete with it and definitely not the Ford F-150.

Soldato
Is the Tesla ownership experience any better? From what I’ve seen with friends that have them (anecdotal, I know) is that they’re just as frustrating to deal with - lots of quality issues and huge tyre wear (destroyed a set on a model X after 9k miles).

I’ve only had mine a few months and 6k and I can’t complain although having said that I’ve had limited interaction with BMW dealers as their service has always been mediocre at best.

I’ve a small rattle from the seatbelt which they are sending someone to my workplace to fix. Never heard of anything like that from Sytner BMW.

Back
Top Bottom